Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
allstaruk08
allstaruk08

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:McLaren doing some real testing now! Right click>view image

the McLaren badge in the hole on the nose looks awesome!!! :D

Giblet
Giblet

If the subject is not the car, the posts might go *poof*.

If your post is a subjective opinion, its probably not useful in this thread. Some users seem to have a chip on their shoulder for the failure/success of one particular team, and no trouble airing their obvious biases. Everyone has biases, but the ability to disconnect from them is useful and even encouraged in a technical forum.

Discussing a feature of the car and its purpose? Of course. Potential yaw issues? Not without something to back it up.

These attempts to troll the whole forum into an argument will be met with great aggression.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Great shot with some rear wing detail. Are those new rear brake fins? right click>view image

ianwit
ianwit

I've been checking out tyre wear in all of the shots and it seems to be very even, anyone noticed any tyre issues on any of the cars?
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

volarchico
volarchico

kalinka wrote:Button on MP4-27 :

"I’m very happy in the car. I’m in a good position. I’m really low, which I always like, trying to get as low as possible, with the way that the car is.
I’m much lower than last year. I can just about see out, which I love. I love that position, well inside the car. I feel I’m part of it. "

source : http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/ ... art_of_it/
When he says he can "just about see out", that seems to mean, "I can't actually see out". Is this a "Queen's English" versus "American English" translation issue? Because then he says he loves it, so why would a driver not actually want to be able to see out?

raymondu999

"I can just about see out" means "I can see, but if you moved me further down I can't."

He's said already he loves to be sitting right on the edge of sitting too low
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

horse

raymondu999 wrote:He's said already he loves to be sitting right on the edge of sitting too low
Do you think this partly informed McLaren's decision to start down the low nose route? I know that Mark Webber fits into the Red Bull and it has a high nose, but is he truly swallowed by it?

Perhaps it's just a happy coincidence that there is now enough room for Button to fit into the cockpit completely.

Will they give Lewis a stool?

On further thought, what does this really mean? Given the driving position, it must mean that Buttons bottom can be further forward, which then means that the floor of the car is further forward than previously in relation to the driver. Does that follow?

EDIT: Going back to one of the comparisons:

It is possible that the "keel" or whatever you call it under the driver it a little further forward on the 27 than the 26. Again, I wonder if the nose "plough" doing some work with moving air sideways allows this region to be a bit less aggressive on the McLaren and therefore also allow the drivers arse to be placed a little further forward.

Oh sweet conjecture. :idea:
Last edited by horse on 08 Feb 2012, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Mr.S
Mr.S

If he is just able to get a clear vision what happens to Lewis who is definitely a bit shorter.

Maybe they will beef up the seat a bit or something like that.

Gridlock

Presumably it relates to the length of the cockpit, not necessarily just where your 'seat' is. If you can get your legs further forwards then your head will sink.

Anyone want to own up to having an extensive collection of McLaren driver rear end shots? :D

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

well considering their front bulkhead height is not at the maximum there wont be anywhere as much benefit from moving the nose higher.

also that will change the way the airflow interacts with the front of the floor and quite possibly will through the aero out of balance
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

the drivers have different customized seating positions, so there's no reason hamilton won't be able to see out the car. I think Button is saying it's easier for him to get his ideal position in this car.

atanatizante

Interesting suspension arm isn`t it?
What`s the main reason for this shape?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

munudeges
munudeges

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Great shot with some rear wing detail. Are those new rear brake fins?
I wouldn't be surprised. I think the brake duct area will be a major area of performance. Do we have a view directly of the back of the car that shows the diffuser and any brake duct detailing anywhere? Would be interesting to compare with the Red Bull and Ferrari.

Hangaku

atanatizante wrote:Interesting suspension arm isn`t it?
What`s the main reason for this shape?
Tapered fairing to improve airflow around the parts without giving up any strength / reliability? Just a thought...

Edit: What I mean is, to improve the quality of air flowing off the components, due to their relative positioning to the beam wing.
Yer.

ringo

beelsebob wrote:
ringo wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Random thought about why this might be even better...

If you can generate net thrust, then you're increasing mass flow out the cooling exit, which means you must be increasing mass flow into the radiator, which means that you're getting more cool air into the radiators, which means you're cooling the engine better, which means you can have smaller radiators. Not only might it give you a little bit of thrust, but also decrease the amount of drag due to a reduction in radiator size.
That's not possible. This is a constant. I've seen it being mentioned a couple times, but gotta step in, as it's not correct.
You probably meant to say increase the volume flow rate.
No it's not constant at all – increased thrust means more mass is going backwards to generate that thrust. If thrust wasn't involved I would agree.
No you cannot look at it like that. It is not a rocket. It's a simple heat exchange with conservation of mass. What enters the radiator inlet is what exits at the back.
What enters the engine inlet is what exits through the tail pipes with the addition of fuel mass.
There is no increase in mass flow.
For Sure!!