Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Is it me or do i hear an EBD coming from the RB8? I hear slight blurting (blowing sounds) eminating from that car...even more interesting is that the Lotus tone is slightly different.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIXJTd0C ... re=related[/youtube]
Last edited by Hail22 on 09 Feb 2012, 02:12, edited 2 times in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

PlatinumZealot

Adrian Newby wrote:The air intake on the nose is far too large for its primary purpose to be "driver cooling".

And an "air dam" is the last thing he would want in that already narrowed area between the front tires (an air dam, and the air being redirected by it, wouldn't just go upward, but also outward).

I believe Adrian Newey is attempting to have the exact the opposite effect of an air dam. He is trying to get rid of any build up of air caused by this newly necessary hump in the nose by routing air through the bulkhead, past the driver, and out the cockpit opening.
Why would it be the last thing? An air dam is very useful. You can practically do what you want with the high pressure "air source" of an air dam. You can use it for downforce like a big ole' gurney flap, You can use it for cooling, Air deflection. The relative velocity of the air in the damn can be zero if it is closed off - of slightly higher if you bleed it off somewhere.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Gridlock

Hail22 wrote:Is it me or do i hear an EBD coming from the RB8?
There's definitely something like that around the 53 second mark, for a sustained period, but otherwise it just sounds like a race car on overrun, with throttle blipping.

Exhausts definitely belong on the top of cars though, maybe this year the best sounding car on the track won't be driven by Bernd Maylander...

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

n smikle wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote:The air intake on the nose is far too large for its primary purpose to be "driver cooling".

And an "air dam" is the last thing he would want in that already narrowed area between the front tires (an air dam, and the air being redirected by it, wouldn't just go upward, but also outward).

I believe Adrian Newey is attempting to have the exact the opposite effect of an air dam. He is trying to get rid of any build up of air caused by this newly necessary hump in the nose by routing air through the bulkhead, past the driver, and out the cockpit opening.
Why would it be the last thing? An air dam is very useful. You can practically do what you want with the high pressure "air source" of an air dam. You can use it for downforce like a big ole' gurney flap, You can use it for cooling, Air deflection. The relative velocity of the air in the damn can be zero if it is closed off - of slightly higher if you bleed it off somewhere.
Air dams can be useful, in the right places, but this is not one of them.

Designers try "waist" the area between the front tires and under the nose (remember, 3D) to get as much high-energy air to the undertray as they can, much like they waist the rear bodywork to get air to the rear wings, top of the diffuser, etc. An air dam in this area (whether top, sides or bottom) would impede the flow they want most.

Shafto
Shafto

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:A single spar lower A arm would be a dumb solution and impossible if using ball joints. There would be nothing stopping the wheel from shifting and changing castor angles... Not to mention that triangulating a suspension component would allow you to make the A arm thinner and block less air heading to the back of the car.
There is something to stop the wheel from shifting, the 'lower wishbone' that branches of the main. I am in no way an expert but the only downside I could see is that you would not be able to have control over camber as the suspension compresses, it would be a constant change in camber. With two separate wishbones you can control the camber rate as the suspension compresses. excuse the brutal diagram but this is how:
...........................|------|
...........................| \/.\/ |
=======_===|.........|
...................\_....| \/..\/ |
.....................\_..|.........|
.........................\| \/..\/ |
...........................|........|
...........................|____|

= main support

-\ lower support

| \/\/ | tire

......... nevermind

this would hold the tire from doing anything, a --- ton of stress for that member though

I am not saying it does only have a top wishbone or it does not. I do want more pictures of the rear suspension though as it looks interesting.

Mr Alcatraz

Hail22 wrote:Is it me or do i hear an EBD coming from the RB8? I hear slight blurting (blowing sounds) eminating from that car...even more interesting is that the Lotus tone is slightly different.
Judging from that youtube I dont think what were hearing is EBD. Their engine noise is definately different than the Sauber(Ferrari) which sounds truely on song in comparison.IMO
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 09 Feb 2012, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Is it me or do i hear an EBD coming from the RB8? I hear slight blurting (blowing sounds) eminating from that car...even more interesting is that the Lotus tone is slightly different.
Judging from that youtube I dont think what were hearing is EBD. Their exaust noise is definately different than the Sauber(Ferrari) which sounds truely on song in comparison.IMO
I don't think that is EBD either. That sounds like engine braking at the 53 second mark to me.

PlatinumZealot

Adrian Newby wrote:
n smikle wrote:

Air dams can be useful, in the right places, but this is not one of them.

Designers try "waist" the area between the front tires and under the nose (remember, 3D) to get as much high-energy air to the undertray as they can, much like they waist the rear bodywork to get air to the rear wings, top of the diffuser, etc. An air dam in this area (whether top, sides or bottom) would impede the flow they want most.
that's what air dams do. and gurneys are similar. you impede the flow to gain pressure or loose pressure in a particular place.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

michl420
michl420

What are these square covers in the main flap of the rear wing, that you see from above.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Seb in the car. I sear I believe that gurney flap atop the wing is a little bigger today but I could be wrong. Right click>view image.

Hail22

One thing is certain the flexible wing is back as you can tell from the angle its bending on the left.

I wish they banned that...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

shelly
shelly

imightbewrong wrote:Okay, from the pictures above I'm pretty sure it is two wishbones, but the lower one is small and the back leg of the LW is shrouded with a cover along with the drive shaft.

I know my drawing is a mess but pink is Upper Wishbone, green is lower, and orange is the drive shaft. Hope you can understand my mess.
(click for bigger)
Are driveshaft, trackside arm and rear leg of the lower rear wishbone all incorporated into one fairing?
twitter: @armchair_aero

shelly
shelly

zgred wrote:Image
From what we sse in this picture the copper and blue strips seem to be something different from temperature sensing strips, which are fitted on top of the beam wing.

Could they be some kind of pressure sensing device, to monitor flowalong the beam wing?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Chalke
Chalke

Chalk another vote up for 'no exhaust blowing'. Sounds like regular down-shifts with a throttle blip and overrun to me too.

The difference in sound, even between different chassis with the same engine is likely down to the particular exhaust configuration that each team has designed but could also be down to engine mapping. The Red Bull certainly sounds more aggressive, if I were to guess I'd say they were using a map designed for better pickup coming back on the throttle, that's just my speculation though.

Chalke
Chalke

Hail22 wrote:One thing is certain the flexible wing is back as you can tell from the angle its bending on the left.

I wish they banned that...
That looks more like regular body roll than flex to me, it looks like the shot was taken in the right-left-right so the weight would be transferring that way. The wing looks pretty straight tip-to-tip, without the 'droop' at either edge typical of last year's flexi-wing.

That's not to say we won't see some flexing this year, I just don't see it in that picture.