Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

munudeges wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Great shot with some rear wing detail. Are those new rear brake fins?
I wouldn't be surprised. I think the brake duct area will be a major area of performance. Do we have a view directly of the back of the car that shows the diffuser and any brake duct detailing anywhere? Would be interesting to compare with the Red Bull and Ferrari.

right click>view image for all high res images

McLaren MP4-27

F2012

RB8

For the record, I believe the diffusers on all the cars are last years diffusers and don't suspect we'll see the new ones until maybe Friday, but more than likely not until Barcelona.

Hail22

I fear we may not see any of the real 2012 WDC parts on the cars be seen until P3 at the Melbourne GP, I see the new cars with nothing but sensors which leads me to believe they are modelling with data they are getting from the track to manufacture parts back at base to then keep in reserve for the start of the season instead of physically testing it as every other team will just observe and replicate based on performance.

Due to this new ridiculous idea of testing all together like happy clams its hard to see any real new parts.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

P3 is farfetched. P1 maybe. If they do things in P3 they might have gone the wrong way on setup, and can't dial out any issues.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:P3 is farfetched. P1 maybe. If they do things in P3 they might have gone the wrong way on setup, and can't dial out any issues.

Alright maybe I was too extreme, but still this whole testing with every team is horrible, hopefully Mclaren and the other top runners a part from RBR can continue with some relaxed R&D and test without having to pop out fast times.

Off topic: Very pleased with Ferrari and Mclarens twitter accepting and answering hard lined questions they need to be closer with their fan base.
Last edited by Hail22 on 09 Feb 2012, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

MIKEY_!

Of course if they had separate tests we wouldn't get many pictures at all, since everything we see, the other teams would see as well. Most likely we would just get some promo shots with no development parts. At least now we might get to see some.

boyracer94
boyracer94

Burn marks on the floor in front of the rear wheels:

Shakeman

Pitot array from today's testing:

From the live timings they appear to be doing hot laps followed by very slow cool laps. Presumably tire testing?

munudeges
munudeges

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:For the record, I believe the diffusers on all the cars are last years diffusers and don't suspect we'll see the new ones until maybe Friday, but more than likely not until Barcelona.
Nice one Crucual, thanks. It's just interesting to compare the way Red Bull have put a lot of effort into the brake duct fin area whereas Ferrari and McLaren aren't showing much in that area. Yet anyway.

Shakeman

munudeges wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:For the record, I believe the diffusers on all the cars are last years diffusers and don't suspect we'll see the new ones until maybe Friday, but more than likely not until Barcelona.
Nice one Crucual, thanks. It's just interesting to compare the way Red Bull have put a lot of effort into the brake duct fin area whereas Ferrari and McLaren aren't showing much in that area. Yet anyway.
With the position of the McLaren exhaust you've got to believe there's more parts coming for their brake ducts.

silversurf3r

Re the burning to the floor:

If the MP4-27 is able to use the downwash to angle the exhaust flow towards the floor. Is it possible to still partially blow the underside of the floor (diffuser) through a cut away in the floor?

*Disclaimer: please bear in mind i am not technically minded and dont have a photographic memory with regards to the regulations around the 2012 floors*

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

munudeges wrote:
Agreed, their brake ducts are the most innovative & complex I've seen in a while.

@shakeman I agree. I believe MaCa will definitely have something new in the upcoming tests. Especially if they keep that exhaust position.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Lewis doing more aero testing. Right click>view image

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I hear after lunch they are going to stick a cardboard cut out of Massa to the rear wing to test the new mirrors :lol:

Chalke
Chalke

boyracer94 wrote:Burn marks on the floor in front of the rear wheels:

Wow, still happening and evenly on both sides, so no fluke.

I can picture it directing the flow towards the brake duct edge, but the way that slot works to drag the plume down immediately is baffling me, it's like a scene from the wickerman inside my head... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzrDpj6M1ig

amouzouris

i think that mclaren are not only blowing the brake duct fins..but they are also going to try seal the diffuser..or at least blow over it..