Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Chalke
Chalke

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

amouzouris wrote:i think that mclaren are not only blowing the brake duct fins..but they are also going to try seal the diffuser..or at least blow over it..
I agree, I just can't see how it works!

silversurf3r

amouzouris wrote:i think that mclaren are not only blowing the brake duct fins..but they are also going to try seal the diffuser..or at least blow over it..
+1
Judging by their current less intricate brake ducts.

foxivan
foxivan

silversurf3r wrote:
+1
Judging by their current less intricate brake ducts.
I agreed as well. Wondered how many teams will starting copying the designs or try similar concepts in coming test days.

Gridlock

There's no real need to test major new parts at this test, I'd imagine there might be one or two out there but the absolute priorities have to be, 1) correlate CFD to wind tunnel to reality so the rest of the season isn't a nightmare of development, 2) obtain new tyre compound data to go into the sims.

Any speculation about trying to use the exhausts to seal the diffuser goes 100% against what e.g. James Allison has said about Charlie being very careful to implement the spirit of the "exhaust gas aero benefits must be incidental and not designed"

horse

Gridlock wrote:Any speculation about trying to use the exhausts to seal the diffuser goes 100% against what e.g. James Allison has said about Charlie being very careful to implement the spirit of the "exhaust gas aero benefits must be incidental and not designed"
But that's impossible to police. You could look at the McLaren and the Ferarri and go "well, you're exhaust exits are where they are in order to do a) and b)" and they would say "no they are for c) and d) and they just happen to do a) and b) too, how fortunate.".

How do you enforce such a thing fairly?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Gridlock

By having a benevolent dictator, of course. Charlie's word is final.

If your car's floor is hot enough to cook eggs on when the rule says exhausts must point upwards and backwards, good luck arguing it's not by design.

Shrieker

It's clear now that McLaren are trying to seal or blow over the difuser. I'm afraid they've shown their hand too early. They should've been more cautious and added extra heat shielding on their floor, shots of their floor section between the exhaust exit and the rear wheel are very revealing.
Last edited by Shrieker on 09 Feb 2012, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

godlameroso

ringo wrote: No you cannot look at it like that. It is not a rocket. It's a simple heat exchange with conservation of mass. What enters the radiator inlet is what exits at the back.
What enters the engine inlet is what exits through the tail pipes with the addition of fuel mass.
There is no increase in mass flow.
No mass flow increase but an increase in the viscosity of the air as it is heated by the components inside the chassis, this increases it's pressure. This also creates drag, if you could cool this air, you would reduce drag across the board. Among other things that can be done.
Saishū kōnā

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Are these not just tyre marbles?

I know they normally fly off backwards but it doesn't make sense that they can burn the floor so close to the exhaust exits.
The car is travelling very fast going forwards, the exhaust gasses are going very fast travelling backwards. Those 2 speeds combined together would be very fast indeed.
My question is, is it possible to go from exiting exhaust gasses pointing 10 degrees upwards to blow practically 90 degrees downwards within 350-450mm.

Make sense??

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Gridlock wrote:By having a benevolent dictator, of course. Charlie's word is final.

If your car's floor is hot enough to cook eggs on when the rule says exhausts must point upwards and backwards, good luck arguing it's not by design.
Presumably one could make the same argument against those teams that have covered their beam wings in temp tape. Why do so unless you're trying to see whether the wing is being blown...? The response "it's by accident" is no more a valid excuse than it is for any other sort of exhaust blowing these days e.g. McLaren's.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

aral
aral

KeiKo403 wrote:Are these not just tyre marbles?

I know they normally fly off backwards but it doesn't make sense that they can burn the floor so close to the exhaust exits.
The car is travelling very fast going forwards, the exhaust gasses are going very fast travelling backwards. Those 2 speeds combined together would be very fast indeed.
My question is, is it possible to go from exiting exhaust gasses pointing 10 degrees upwards to blow practically 90 degrees downwards within 350-450mm.

Make sense??
Yes, the airflow going over the downward surfaced sidepots, is able to enter the slot , as a jet stream, pushing the exhaust gas down.

Shrieker

KeiKo403 wrote:Are these not just tyre marbles?
Owen.C93 wrote: Anyway I guess this is the burnt floor. Right click view etc
boyracer94 wrote:Burn marks on the floor in front of the rear wheels:

Are they ? Idk...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shakeman

Shrieker wrote:It's clear now that McLaren are trying to seal or blow over the difuser. I'm afraid they've shown their hand too early. They should've been more cautious and added extra heat shielding on their floor, shots of their floor section between exhaust exit and the rear wheel are very revealing.
How would it seal the diffuser and why is that desirable? (asking out of ignorance)

They might have been surprised by how effective the down wash was. That's what I'd be saying!

Before you're too critical of McLaren's approaches how would you argue that other team's exhaust position does not influence aerodynamics? The RB is aiming at their suspension parts and beam wing.

From what I've read on other forums and on twitter the McLaren and Ferrari exhausts have been declared legal, is this not the case?

raymondu999

If you have a good seal on the diffuser, you prevent tyre squirt and leakage of air in/out the sides, and you can run a higher rake angle
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shrieker

Shakeman wrote:
How would it seal the diffuser and why is that desirable? (asking out of ignorance)
I'm not an aerodynamicist, so mine definitely wouldn't be an educated guess, but if you look at where they were blowing the exhaust last year, it seems like they're trying to achieve the same effect.
Shakeman wrote: They might have been surprised by how effective the down wash was. That's what I'd be saying!

Before you're too critical of McLaren's approaches how would you argue that other team's exhaust position does not influence aerodynamics? The RB is aiming at their suspension parts and beam wing.

From what I've read on other forums and on twitter the McLaren and Ferrari exhausts have been declared legal, is this not the case?
Remember how fickle the FIA is.It has passed not a month since Lotus' front suspension solution was given the thumbs up by Charlie and then overturned by the FIA.
-Atatürk