Mclaren Mp4-26 "Fan tail" Exhaust

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PlatinumZealot

Mclaren Mp4-26 "Fan tail" Exhaust

Remember this mysterious mollusc of an exhaust? Well Forget about Octopus and think fan clam!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97432

Lowe believes that the situation McLaren finds itself in at this early stage of testing is already much better than it was after the conclusion of pre-season running last year - during which McLaren suffered reliability troubles with what it has now revealed to be a 'Fan tail' exhaust.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

Re: Mclaren Mp4-26 "Fan tail" Exhaust

isnt octopus and fantail exhaust the same thing? just a multiple exit exhaust

Pup
Pup

Not quite. The octopus was rumored to be a way to send exhaust gasses to various parts of the car - front, side, rear, etc. Sort of like the Renault exhaust on steroids. The fan exhaust I think we had photos of at the time. It was a slot along the edge of the bodywork where it met the floor which looked like it contained channels or louvers that would fan out the exhaust gas in a sheet across the top of the floor.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

they certainly have some ambitious engineers at Mclaren...
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Pup
Pup

To be honest, I think McLaren tried every trick in the book last year. I remember that we had photos of exhaust nozzles coming out of the splitter, some midway down the sidepods, some at the very edge of the floor in front of the wheels, the slit exhaust that I was referring to, and who knows what else. The octopus, I thought, was supposed to be a device that would send the exhaust to any or all of those places. Though, if I remember correctly, we never saw more than one set of outlets visible on the car at any given moment. Maybe one day we'll have a first person account of what really was going on.

PlatinumZealot

Let us revisit some images.

I think us members of this Forum got it right.

Going through the car thread the concepts by the members more match the descrition of "fan tail" than "octopus."

I remember some posters being swayed by outsider influences.. but the ones that stuck to their guns, well done.

the exhaust seemed different at times:[/b]

Testing out the Hot blowing?

With the U-bend

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5 ... otostream/

this was my guess in the early days..

more pics

from "just a fan"

from "FormulaNone" very good concept, though I commented on that there might be a loop than a double u-bend.

Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 09 Feb 2012, 04:30, edited 3 times in total.

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Looks like Torro Rosso did a "reverse fan"

Racing Green in 2028

ringo

My speculation at the time:

i figured they were doing this,but maybe they were putting this lower down to effect the diffuser.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

From an Autosport subscription-only piece. I'd post the whole Q&A; but Autosport wouldn't be very pleased with that. The quoted following are Paddy Lowe's words.
I think the trouble last year was that we had not got through the very process that I have just described. We didn't actually have a platform that we could work with, because the car was inherently unreliable in terms of exhausts.

There was a lot of confusion at the time, even internally. We had a radical exhaust system, which we can quite openly describe these days. People called it an 'Octopus', but it had nothing to do with an Octopus. We actually called it a 'Fan tail' internally because it was a fan tail pipe that went into a slot, which blew through the floor. That specific bit did not work and was quite problematic.

But the real problem with the car was that the contingency exhaust system – which we had put in place because with our quite radical system we knew we needed some sort of back-up that was more conventional – was even more unreliable. So, something pretty basic and pretty simple would not get the car around past 11 o'clock every morning. And because of that we had no stock, because we had not expected to need to have a lot of stock of something that should be as reliable as normal. So every day you would see how you could keep going with the shrapnel that you were looking at.

We never, throughout the three track tests we had, which was 12 days, reached the point that we have reached here of feeling we had a platform we can work with, because we were fighting the exhaust reliability all the way through. Not even until the very last day. It was only when we went to Australia, did we suddenly find in P1 and P2 that we had a car that could go around.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

shelly
shelly

lowe says "fan tail pipe that went into a slot, which blew through the floor".

Does that mean their floor was a double layer with exhausts flowing between the two layers, or is he referring to the lateral slit exhaust we saw in testing, similar to what toro rosso had?
twitter: @armchair_aero

horse

shelly wrote:Does that mean their floor was a double layer with exhausts flowing between the two layers, or is he referring to the lateral slit exhaust we saw in testing, similar to what toro rosso had?
They were not allowed to actually break through the floor, right? As in out into the underside of the diffuser? So my first thought would be it was something like the Toro Rosso system.

I'm not convinced that, even if this system had worked, it would have been nicer than RBs concept. All of this complication just looks like you're diluting the strength of the exhaust output whereas RB just piped it to just where it needed to be.
n smikle wrote:Let us revisit some images.
Nice work. Thanks for putting the effort in to compile those.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

thestig84
thestig84

Pup wrote:To be honest, I think McLaren tried every trick in the book last year. I remember that we had photos of exhaust nozzles coming out of the splitter, some midway down the sidepods, some at the very edge of the floor in front of the wheels, the slit exhaust that I was referring to, and who knows what else. The octopus, I thought, was supposed to be a device that would send the exhaust to any or all of those places. Though, if I remember correctly, we never saw more than one set of outlets visible on the car at any given moment. Maybe one day we'll have a first person account of what really was going on.
They never had anything out the splitter, sidepods or near front wheels. That was just people getting excited early on when the exit was unknown...spotting laptop connection blanking plates etc. I think Paddy Lowe has explained it all, he said there is no reason to hide any info now.

Pup
Pup

Lowe didn't say where the exhaust exited - only that it went into a hollow floor.

shelly
shelly

Pup wrote:Lowe didn't say where the exhaust exited - only that it went into a hollow floor.
I am not sure the floor was holow, and others as horse are sure it was not Coul you plase explain a bit why you think it was hollow?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Pup
Pup

Well, Paddy said that the exhaust "went into a slot, which blew through the floor". I suppose the other way to interpret it is that the exhaust went directly through to under the floor, but I don't know why they'd need an intermediate part to do that.