Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

I wonder how that would work with the flow around the car, by sucking air in from the sides. The volumetric efficiency is key with the way the air box is designed now. The air slows down and expands when it enters the box.
Honda!

shelly
shelly

You can slow down and expand ari even if you ake it in form the sides, it's only a bit trickier and less efficient, but it could be worth it from an aero point of view.

Anyway as I said above I am just toying with the thing, I am not taking it seriously.
Sometimes it useful to start from an absurd point of view and learn back why it is absurd. For example in tis case as you say efficiency of the inlet would be too low, and behaviuor too throttle dependent, packaging inefficeint and so on
twitter: @armchair_aero

retpog55
retpog55

To quote pocketmoon from earlier in this thread

"I cannot tell you what we're doing in there [wind tunnel] ... they have some crazy, crazy ideas" - a engineer giving a factory tour last summer.

"We're approaching a revolutionary increase in our understanding of what makes a fast racecar" - Geoff Willis (Mercedes AMG F1) , World Motorsport Symposium 2012

.....reading that and then reading some of these ideas......... [-o<

JohnsonsEvilTwin

What as in my actual login account? Or the account that everyone else sees when Im logged in? :o

Edit my upload stops at 33% and starts to wreak havoc on the rest of my system. Can you copy the picture off my twitter account please MGP fans??
More could have been done.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ta Dah!!!

More could have been done.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

That would really be something if it worked.... hmmm

Raptor22
Raptor22

forgive the exhaust placement they should point slightly outward

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Raptor, is this what you're aiming for?

Raptor22
Raptor22

Ferraripilot wrote:That would really be something if it worked.... hmmm

Theres some 3d detail that I would need to sketch in but that will take some time. But essentiall think Benetton B188 with a shark fin fro the roll hoop that about 4 inches thick with intakes on the wings.

I figure you could circumvent the body work rule by using an airbox that forms the outer panel of the bodywork so its an engine component and not "bodywork" per se.

The more I play with it the more I realise theres a few ways to play around with it to achive some aero benefit

They could even maintain a more conventional layout and have the inlet as a massive wing in a similar position to where the McLaren had those viking horns a few years back.
As long as they can mould an airbox that does not need "bodywork" to cover it.

Ferraripilot

Well done. That would free up a large amount of CFM to the main rear wing element wouldn't it.

Raptor22
Raptor22

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:Raptor, is this what you're aiming for?

move those cameras about a metre rearward and fit the inlets on their end.

Ferraripilot

Is it better to generate downforce as low to the ground as possible meaning it's more beneficial to make the beam wing and diffuser more efficient than the main top wing element? I'm trying to figure out why Merc would potentially go for a oddball intake arrangement.

xpensive
xpensive

For crying out loud, Jerez was to validate, rectify and possibly adjust the mercury-hydraulic leveling system, which will be universally useful to the W03 when the time is proper for introduction.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Raptor22
Raptor22

Ferraripilot wrote:Is it better to generate downforce as low to the ground as possible meaning it's more beneficial to make the beam wing and diffuser more efficient than the main top wing element? I'm trying to figure out why Merc would potentially go for a oddball intake arrangement.

well the way I'm seeing it is that

1) you could generate higher inlet velocity to produce more engine power. May not be much by 5% of 500Kw is significant.

2) you increase the volume of air reaching the beam wing way by reducing the volume of obstruction ahead of it. Lower air box that functions as a flow conditioner through the airfoil shaped air inlet.

3) through the inlet tract also acting as a wing there is potential to direct flow downward which increases airflow through the rear wing and thus the beam wing.

Clearly needs refining but its an idea of how I see a possible implementation of dual unconventional intakes as described in the German press

yace

yace wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
[img] http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 545254.jpg
[/img]
this photo is from last season, the team lose some sponsors since this photo been taken (graham, autonomy)
may be, but it was not on the car during tetings
ImageImageImage