Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

From what scarbs says, the original "fan tail" of the mp4-26 was very similar to rb6 solution also; it was only a bit more elaborate and a lot less reliable
twitter: @armchair_aero

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Could McLaren's body work near the exhaust outlet be configured to allow different configurations during the tests?

Brian

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

hardingfv32 wrote:Could McLaren's body work near the exhaust outlet be configured to allow different configurations during the tests?

Brian
Yes. That panel is small and quickly changed. No doubt they have designed it so that a few solutions can be tested. I'm actually quite surprised they didn't have significant variations at this test. I expect something new after the figures have been crunched back at MTC.

volarchico
volarchico

beelsebob wrote:Right across what air flow? The air flow remains tight to the side pod - that's how laminar flow behaves (well, you'd hope they have laminar flow there, if they have turbulent flow they'll be generating a *lot* of drag). The exhaust bulge pops it up and over the fast flow that they're trying to keep for the beam wing.
This is being a bit picky, but don't confuse the terms "laminar/turbulent" with "attached/separated". The flow over a majority of an F1 car is most likely turbulent. Taking a standard Reynolds number of 500,000 for turbulence (simplified theory) about 88-200 mm back would be transition along any given uninterrupted surface depending on speed (80-200 mph).

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Flo-Viz across the right side of the car. right click>view image

slimjim
slimjim

Hi everyone,

First post, but I've been following this forum for a couple of years and I think it's brilliant.

This was posted by a Finnish journalist from twitter, it's meant to be a shot of the McLaren side-pods to be used to the first Barca test...

I can't speak for the reliability of the source, but it was posted on F1Enigma's twitter account and he tends to be pretty accurate.

Hangaku

Uhmmm ... *scratches head* .. I got nothin' ...
Yer.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Well it's not a MP4-27, 26, 25, 24, 23 or 22 by looking at the livery and logo locations. But it could be a show car that's been made to look like a 26. Obviously it would have to be pre 24 by looking at the sidepods.

Slightly larger view here.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 10 Feb 2012, 23:57, edited 2 times in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Pup
Pup

It's a mobile simulator tub that McLaren takes to events, for fans and sponsors to play with...

Unless you guys really think that F1 cars can be split in two for shipping. :?

slimjim
slimjim

I'll go back to just looking and not posting!

scuderiafan

The sidepods look 27-ey to me...
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Pup
Pup

slimjim wrote:I'll go back to just looking and not posting!
8) Don;'t feel bad - I think my first several posts here were just outright ignored. :cry: :lol:
Last edited by Pup on 11 Feb 2012, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

RichardF1

That showcar/simulator car is the mp4-20 of 2005, with a change of livery, as they weren't sponsored by vodafone then.
WWKD- What would Kimi do?

beelsebob
beelsebob

RichardF1 wrote:That showcar/simulator car is the mp4-20 of 2005, with a change of livery, as they weren't sponsored by vodafone then.
It really isn't – the side pods are way too square for that. To me it looks like an MP4-25 but hacked about a bit.

dan_f1
dan_f1

I'm late to the party, but i'll give my 2 cents.

I think ultimately we are going to see the exhaust point at the bottom of the rear wing. at slower speeds the exhaust gasses stand a chance of actually lowering the pressure underneath the wing because of the heat they introduce into the airflow. Thus making it more efficient, and allowing the use of a smaller wing. This concept is also beneficial at high speeds, because you are using a smaller wing, and thus producing less drag. Think of it as a blown DRS. :D