Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jordangp

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

clipsy1H wrote:
Ganxxta wrote:
clipsy1H wrote:so tomorrow schumi show his car!? maybe this year will be a competitive car (fighting for top3-5) ....
Says who? :shock:
i cant remember where i read a interview with Haugh and he say 12 or 13 february.
Isn't it supposed to be 21st February?

clipsy1H

or 21 really i cant remember exactly.

marcush.
marcush.

I´m positively surprised by Mercedes AMG at this time of year.It´s not for nothing all people involved keep a low profile and try not to have people read anything into the times so far.

Clever move to test with the illegal exgaust cofig..so everyone is consoled and prepared to count those times towards the presence of EBD.
But did they actually blow the exhaust according to 2011 regs or did they use a 2012map? Interestingly nobody seems to have asked.
Scarbs ?

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

marcush. wrote:I´m positively surprised by Mercedes AMG at this time of year.It´s not for nothing all people involved keep a low profile and try not to have people read anything into the times so far.

Clever move to test with the illegal exgaust cofig..so everyone is consoled and prepared to count those times towards the presence of EBD.
But did they actually blow the exhaust according to 2011 regs or did they use a 2012map? Interestingly nobody seems to have asked.
Scarbs ?
I read that it was full blown 2011 spec w02

marcush.
marcush.

sure it was 2011spec..but how much blowing hot or cold was done...as we know from Qualy performances Schumacher vsRosberg there was ALOT of potential in the car for single lap but a realistic setup for the race did not allow to exploit this in qualy..
If they chose to run the whole shebang all stops pulled ,this would be a disappointment but if they chose to run -Schumacher style setups then it would be a nice starting point.
I´m pretty sure they ran their secret weapon in this test at least part of it.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

marcush. wrote:sure it was 2011spec..but how much blowing hot or cold was done...as we know from Qualy performances Schumacher vsRosberg there was ALOT of potential in the car for single lap but a realistic setup for the race did not allow to exploit this in qualy..
If they chose to run the whole shebang all stops pulled ,this would be a disappointment but if they chose to run -Schumacher style setups then it would be a nice starting point.
I´m pretty sure they ran their secret weapon in this test at least part of it.
Actually it is a very valid question I was wandering about too. They should have a fairly advanced idea of downforce levels produced by the new chassis from the simulator. Is it possible to simulate those with different mapping for EBD on track?

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Surely they would have used the car in it's final 2011 spec to get the most valid data for comparison to the 2011 & 2012 Pirelli's ?

Also everyone seems to be going on about this "Mercury" linked suspension system, but i'm sure I seen a tweet or post by Scarbs explaining that a few of the top F1 teams have been running interlinked suspension to prevent the front end diving under breaking for a good few years.

I don't think the merc had anything like that this time around, they probably just done extended runs evaluating the tyres & the front F-Duct wing & we won't see anything special until the new W03 is revealed at the next test.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

hollowBallistix wrote:Surely they would have used the car in it's final 2011 spec to get the most valid data for comparison to the 2011 & 2012 Pirelli's ?
+1
hollowBallistix wrote:Also everyone seems to be going on about this "Mercury" linked suspension system, but i'm sure I seen a tweet or post by Scarbs explaining that a few of the top F1 teams have been running interlinked suspension to prevent the front end diving under breaking for a good few years.
+1 and Mercury is a banned metal according to the FIA.
hollowBallistix wrote:I don't think the merc had anything like that this time around, they probably just done extended runs evaluating the tyres & the front F-Duct wing & we won't see anything special until the new W03 is revealed at the next test.
I expect an honest to goodness evolution of the W02. It probably was one of the only 2011 cars that would be a good fit for 2012 rules(nose regs aside).
It had side blown exhausts and even when reverted to full RB style EBD the difference was marginal.

So new ideas implemented, problems ironed out and innovations added(FDuctFW), Mercedes will be in decent shape. But I still dont expect them to harass RB or McLaren just yet. The W04 will be the car to do that IMO.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:It had side blown exhausts and even when reverted to full RB style EBD the difference was marginal
What are you using to benchmark the two JET? I don't remember the two exhaust variants ever being tested in a back to back fashion...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

raymondu999 wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:It had side blown exhausts and even when reverted to full RB style EBD the difference was marginal
What are you using to benchmark the two JET? I don't remember the two exhaust variants ever being tested in a back to back fashion...
The gap to RB7 for instance. It was nearly constant all season.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The gap to the front runners remained almost the same.

Beat me to it Schulteiss
More could have been done.
David Purley

Fredy4
Fredy4

Just been watching some vids from the test and althoiugh they were running the EBD, it was nowhere near as pronounced as some of the videos I have seen through the season.

I personally dont think they were running it at its full level.

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:The gap to the front runners remained almost the same.

Beat me to it Schulteiss
You mean percentage or time gap? While I don't think Merc were getting the full benefit, I would think that by spending time on the Red Bull style EBD; it would have taken some time away from other development paths - so the time they gained on the leaders by the EBD could be cancelled out by the lack of "other" development. In a way:

Leaders' development = Mercedes EBD gain - the attention taken away from other development
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

vealio
vealio

news from auto bild motorsport:

- shakedown on wednesday next week
- 3 different exhaust solutions to test before Melbourne
- 1 solution is "on the edge" but Merc think it´s legal
- only 1 bigger update before Melbourne at second Barcelona week
- car supposed to look not that much different to its predecessor
- team very satisfied with achieved downforce levels, targets were set very high as they got caught by setting them too low for the last 2 seasons.

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

vealio wrote:news from auto bild motorsport:

- shakedown on wednesday next week
- 3 different exhaust solutions to test before Melbourne
- 1 solution is "on the edge" but Merc think it´s legal
- only 1 bigger update before Melbourne at second Barcelona week
- car supposed to look not that much different to its predecessor
- team very satisfied with achieved downforce levels, targets were set very high as they got caught by setting them too low for the last 2 seasons.
Where you got all these information from? And what is their 'high' targets? Bringing the WDC & WCC trophies back to Brackley?