Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
spadeflush

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

xpensive wrote:The reason for Charlie Whiting's presence at Jerez was to inspect MGP/AMG's mercury hydraulics,
which has now passed all legal scrutiny, why Ron is going bananas about it.
Anyone has any clue what this is about?
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

spadeflush wrote:
xpensive wrote:The reason for Charlie Whiting's presence at Jerez was to inspect MGP/AMG's mercury hydraulics,
I don't think any legality scrutiny is carried out in the test as teams are free to use any illegal part during the course of the test and thats well define in the regulations

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

spadeflush wrote:
yeah. baiting.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

vealio wrote:news from auto bild motorsport:

- shakedown on wednesday next week
- 3 different exhaust solutions to test before Melbourne
- 1 solution is "on the edge" but Merc think it´s legal
- only 1 bigger update before Melbourne at second Barcelona week
- car supposed to look not that much different to its predecessor
- team very satisfied with achieved downforce levels, targets were set very high as they got caught by setting them too low for the last 2 seasons.
BILD? Seriously? #-o

marcush.
marcush.

some call it mercury ,and right the idea to prevent dive and squat is not new...but then this is one of the holy grails of maximising aero performance:achieving full control over the aero platform AND retain a decent mechanical performance .
If the answer was :just make it stiff -then everyone had dumped the springs long time ago and possibly had found ways to prevent tyres from squasing under load...

I´m convinced MGP is on the verge of making a breakthrough .I know Schumacher is just unbearable when he is winning races but i still look forward to it happening . :mrgreen:

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

marcush. wrote:some call it mercury ,and right the idea to prevent dive and squat is not new...but then this is one of the holy grails of maximising aero performance:achieving full control over the aero platform AND retain a decent mechanical performance .
If the answer was :just make it stiff -then everyone had dumped the springs long time ago and possibly had found ways to prevent tyres from squasing under load...

I´m convinced MGP is on the verge of making a breakthrough .I know Schumacher is just unbearable when he is winning races but i still look forward to it happening . :mrgreen:
Not exactly a breakthrough if top teams have been running this kind of system for the past few years, Mercedes are still playing catchup unfortunately, just hope they'll have a car at least capable of winning a race.

siskue2005

hollowBallistix wrote:
marcush. wrote:some call it mercury ,and right the idea to prevent dive and squat is not new...but then this is one of the holy grails of maximising aero performance:achieving full control over the aero platform AND retain a decent mechanical performance .

Not exactly a breakthrough if top teams have been running this kind of system for the past few years, Mercedes are still playing catchup unfortunately, just hope they'll have a car at least capable of winning a race.
No top teamS
Only Williams, FI and Ferrari ? No other top teams
But rumor is they couldnt work it properly and Williams abandonded it
But now Merc has found out how to run it and thats why there is all these news

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote: Leaders' development = Mercedes EBD gain - the attention taken away from other development

Im sorry, it doesnt work like that.

Mercedes had to change to EBD as their mid ship mounted solution chewed into tyres(heat spillage).
The change to EBD was more to do with tyre management than it was for performance. As you can see the gap to the front running teams remained near perfectly the same as it did prior to EBD being adopted.

Or are you saying Mercedes gained a magical 0.5 seconds, yet the teams ahead of it found this time on the exact date that Mercedes did at the same venue?
Lest we forget the teams behind Mercedes? Did they also find a magical 0.5 seconds to keep the gap static? Of course, that didnt happen.

So you can very easily deduce Mercedes gained less than the team ahead of it from EBD. One thing it did do was help the team manage its tyres over longer runs, due to the heat being diverted away from the tyre.

Remember China? Mercedes lead on merit due to the cooler ambient and track tempratures. EBD was also not present on the car...
If the EBD gave MErcedes 0.5 seconds I can guarantee you they would have been on the podium in 2011.... And heres a picture of the chinese GP spec W02 for your reference.

Hope that clears it up for you. :wink:
More could have been done.
David Purley

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Can't tidy up the quotes, but a few of the top teams have been running interlinked suspension for the past few years to stabilise the car under breaking, there was a quote from Scarbs regarding this. So the technology is not new, what is new is the fact only now we are learning about it.

I just think everyone is pining their hopes on some miracle "mercury" suspension system that does not exist.

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Just to add to the previous stuff, a section ripped from Scarbs blog

Summary
With Rake being ever important to the cars aero set up, such linked systems are increasingly being investigated by the teams. Indeed one team has run such a solution since mid 2009 and at least two other teams (one at each end of the grid) ran them last year.

So some teams have already been running interlinked suspension systems for a while, considering the MP4-12C road car has this system in place, i'm betting McLaren are one of those teams.

clipsy1H

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
hollowBallistix wrote:Surely they would have used the car in it's final 2011 spec to get the most valid data for comparison to the 2011 & 2012 Pirelli's ?
+1
hollowBallistix wrote:Also everyone seems to be going on about this "Mercury" linked suspension system, but i'm sure I seen a tweet or post by Scarbs explaining that a few of the top F1 teams have been running interlinked suspension to prevent the front end diving under breaking for a good few years.
+1 and Mercury is a banned metal according to the FIA.
hollowBallistix wrote:I don't think the merc had anything like that this time around, they probably just done extended runs evaluating the tyres & the front F-Duct wing & we won't see anything special until the new W03 is revealed at the next test.
.... The W04 will be the car to do that IMO.
who cares about w04? schumacher need now a competitive car no next year when he retired

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

clipsy1H wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
hollowBallistix wrote:Surely they would have used the car in it's final 2011 spec to get the most valid data for comparison to the 2011 & 2012 Pirelli's ?
+1
hollowBallistix wrote:Also everyone seems to be going on about this "Mercury" linked suspension system, but i'm sure I seen a tweet or post by Scarbs explaining that a few of the top F1 teams have been running interlinked suspension to prevent the front end diving under breaking for a good few years.
+1 and Mercury is a banned metal according to the FIA.
hollowBallistix wrote:I don't think the merc had anything like that this time around, they probably just done extended runs evaluating the tyres & the front F-Duct wing & we won't see anything special until the new W03 is revealed at the next test.
.... The W04 will be the car to do that IMO.
who cares about w04? schumacher need now a competitive car no next year when he retired
Schumacher has said that it is unlikely that the W03 will be a WDC winning car. Brawn himself has hinted the same. Their performance deficit was too big to claw back all of it in one go. It should be a solid step-up to the W02 though.
Last edited by Schulteiss on 12 Feb 2012, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

hollowBallistix wrote:Just to add to the previous stuff, a section ripped from Scarbs blog

Summary
With Rake being ever important to the cars aero set up, such linked systems are increasingly being investigated by the teams. Indeed one team has run such a solution since mid 2009 and at least two other teams (one at each end of the grid) ran them last year.

So some teams have already been running interlinked suspension systems for a while, considering the MP4-12C road car has this system in place, i'm betting McLaren are one of those teams.
Last year it was Ferrari, Mercedes and Virgin.
it was said to be REAR INTERLINKED, though. This whole speculation started with the idea of FULL interlink, and its possibilities.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

vealio wrote:news from auto bild motorsport:

- shakedown on wednesday next week
- 3 different exhaust solutions to test before Melbourne
- 1 solution is "on the edge" but Merc think it´s legal
- only 1 bigger update before Melbourne at second Barcelona week
- car supposed to look not that much different to its predecessor
- team very satisfied with achieved downforce levels, targets were set very high as they got caught by setting them too low for the last 2 seasons.
Nice, have you got the link to the article?

clipsy1H

Schulteiss wrote: Schumacher has said that it is unlikely that the W03 will be a WDC winning car. Brawn himself has hinted the same. Their performance deficit was too big to claw back all of it in one go. It should be a solid step-up to the W02 though.
for WDC probably not but maybe 1 win this year or top3. if he wont do that Brawn is a big loser!!! Last year also Renault get a top3. The only problem for Michael is team. Team wants a winner car in 2013 but for a guy like Schumacher is to much. He and WE want this year a good car!! only 35 days:D:D