Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shakeman

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Just found this. Please delete if it's a re-post.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xubxtDWo ... re=related[/youtube]

myurr
myurr

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:12m:06s

I swear thats a mighty long over run....

Why only (lotus)Renault and Red Bull, not Williams or Caterham making this sound?
The McLarens Merc unit is positively wailing in comaprison to the Renault.
Yeah the Red Bull and Lotus definitely still have at least cold blowing going on. <Deity of your choice> knows how they're still doing that - I thought the throttle maps were supposed to ban this now?

Could it be that the driver is now keeping their foot on the throttle but pressing a button to retard the ignition? A kind of manual version of what they were doing last year?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

myurr wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:12m:06s

I swear thats a mighty long over run....

Why only (lotus)Renault and Red Bull, not Williams or Caterham making this sound?
The McLarens Merc unit is positively wailing in comaprison to the Renault.
Yeah the Red Bull and Lotus definitely still have at least cold blowing going on. <Deity of your choice> knows how they're still doing that - I thought the throttle maps were supposed to ban this now?

Could it be that the driver is now keeping their foot on the throttle but pressing a button to retard the ignition? A kind of manual version of what they were doing last year?
I have to say that the Renault engine has a definitely different sound to it off-throttle. Which could be some kind of cold blowing or it could be that's just how the engine sounds. If you watch at the end of the video you'll hear that the Williams has exactly the same engine note as the Red Bull (I closed my eyes and tried to call the difference out to my girlfriend 'that's the red bull, that's the williams'...'which is the red bull?' 'the one with the yellow bit on the nose...etc' (she really loves me). It turns out that they sound exactly the same - so if Red bull are up to no good, then williams will be up to the same shennanigans so we'll see them both at the front?

In truth, I suspect there's something going on but I doubt it's a big deal - watching that video though, there were times when it looked like the mac and the RB were on fastforward when compared to other cars. I really hope it's close at the start of the season, the car certainly looks planted and I think there'll be real progress in the next test.

raymondu999

myurr wrote:Could it be that the driver is now keeping their foot on the throttle but pressing a button to retard the ignition? A kind of manual version of what they were doing last year?
What's stopping them from (in quali - in the races it wouldn't be realistic) using the clutch for that?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

The most obvious lack of rear grip for the TR is out of the last corner - the TR seems to hit the kerb on the exit, and that then gets them stepping out. I wonder if it's just that there's a torque spike at that RPM on the Ferrari engine; which the drivers haven't really adjusted to
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... um=twitter
However, he did say that the car did feel different at the rear end without the extra downforce provided by the now-outlawed blown diffuser.

"The car is different. Last year we had so much support and stability, particularly in the high-speed corners, but now we're having to find that grip," he said.
"We'll take grip off the front and try to offload it to the rear somehow. But I think the baseline that we have is something we can really work with."
Hamilton also added that Pirelli's new tyres offered "more life" than their predecessors and suggested that McLaren's only issue to date is that their simulator had not been set up accordingly.

"There's a couple of small things in the car that we have. There are no real problems, it's just different in driving with the tyres and everything," he said.

"I tested in the simulator and it's a little bit different to what it is in the simulator. We'll go back and adjust the simulator to what it's like in real life."
Did Button say they had more df in high speed corners? :mrgreen:
Each year, same story! Simulator data's little(?) different from track

How can they unload the front to give df to the rear? New front wing design?

raymondu999

Button said the car felt fantastic in high downforce now. And Lewis is saying the opposite? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ianwit
ianwit

Shakeman wrote:I was watching the live times and Lewis was doing fast laps then slow laps quite regularly during testing. That could've been one of those slow laps.
Good point, all of the teams were pacing themselves consistently or varying the pace like McLaren so its hard to take an observation like this seriously in testing. Barcelona should give a better guide to how quickly they can get on the throttle.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

ell66
ell66

raymondu999 wrote:Button said the car felt fantastic in high downforce now. And Lewis is saying the opposite? :?
no. Jenson made a comment that the car felt good in high speed corners in the sim, this was before testing got started.

Hail22

ell66 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Button said the car felt fantastic in high downforce now. And Lewis is saying the opposite? :?
no. Jenson made a comment that the car felt good in high speed corners in the sim, this was before testing got started.
Slightly off topic however, isn't a simulator worth 3 pre season tests (example 2009, 2010, 2011) thus being more of a waste then the old system of all year testing?

Also we need to remember Button is a very positive, down to earth guy he has been through so many failures from BAR, Honda days that when he won the title in 2009 it made him come full circle unlike Hamilton and Vettel.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

myurr
myurr

ianwit wrote:
Shakeman wrote:I was watching the live times and Lewis was doing fast laps then slow laps quite regularly during testing. That could've been one of those slow laps.
Good point, all of the teams were pacing themselves consistently or varying the pace like McLaren so its hard to take an observation like this seriously in testing. Barcelona should give a better guide to how quickly they can get on the throttle.
Hamilton has always used this technique. He does a fast lap extracting everything he can from the tyres and then does a slow lap to let them cool off. You'll see him doing it in qualifying when they do more than one run, and frequently during the practice sessions.

shelly
shelly

is mclaren testing today in jerez? I have seen a picture on autosport forum with the drivers makig sme shooting session
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

"promotional filming"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly
shelly

Ok they are testing then!
twitter: @armchair_aero

Javert

Hail22 wrote: Slightly off topic however, isn't a simulator worth 3 pre season tests (example 2009, 2010, 2011) thus being more of a waste then the old system of all year testing?
In 2009 simulator was a disaster and this resulted in a dog
In 2010 they always had less df than their rivals and took many months to make the F-Duct work
In 2011 we know it, various exhausts systems no reliability no performance
In 2012 Hamilton already started moaning that the car is behaving differently than on the sim

Seem the sim has worked correctly only in the 15 days between last 2011 Barcelona test and Melbourne :mrgreen:
Paddy Lowe wants to bin their wind tunnel, they should seriously think to bin their sim too :mrgreen: