Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:McLaren MP4-27 triple exhaust? Didn't think this was legal? Right click>view image
What's not legal about it, and what's triple about it?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Do I need to zoom in? Do you not see it looks like there are 3 pipes? I thought the exhaust was limited to one pipe at the last 10 cm. It looks like one pipe exits into another & into another.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Do I need to zoom in? Do you not see it looks like there are 3 pipes? I thought the exhaust was limited to one pipe at the last 10 cm. It looks like one pipe exits into another & into another.

1) To me that looks like 1 pipe with 3 rings to keep a uniform shape
2) The engine exhaust may only have two exits, yada yada yada... That says nothing about any other gasses you may want to get rid of from in the car.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

as it is illegal i think you might find that it is simple a hose clamp holding the pipe in place or something of the sort
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gotcha, thanks. It just looked a little weird and from the angle the bottom isn't visible so Ii wasn't sure. Figured I'd ask. :))

PNSD
PNSD

Probably not likely at all, but they're trying to reduce the rear tyre lift by attempting to induce a higher pressure, or moving the separation point with the exhaust are they? I realize in all probability not, because that will increase the drag of an already draggy area...

shelly
shelly

I find also very interesting the ramp mclaren has mounted, like ferrari has , after the round pipe. It definetely seems that they are trying to use coanda effect to deflect the exhaust downwards.

If they relied on deflection from outside flow only, there would be no need for such a ramp.

One intersting thing that I learned on internet about jet vectoring with coanda effect is that they need a small piloting flow on the side of the jet to attach better: to establish such a piloting flow could be tha aim of the floow thorugh the small slots crucial has highlighted that give the impression of a triple outlet.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Hail22

Javert wrote:
Hail22 wrote: Slightly off topic however, isn't a simulator worth 3 pre season tests (example 2009, 2010, 2011) thus being more of a waste then the old system of all year testing?
In 2009 simulator was a disaster and this resulted in a dog
In 2010 they always had less df than their rivals and took many months to make the F-Duct work
In 2011 we know it, various exhausts systems no reliability no performance
In 2012 Hamilton already started moaning that the car is behaving differently than on the sim

Seem the sim has worked correctly only in the 15 days between last 2011 Barcelona test and Melbourne :mrgreen:
Paddy Lowe wants to bin their wind tunnel, they should seriously think to bin their sim too :mrgreen:
Thus validating the notion behind returning all year "track" testing...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Hail22 wrote:
Javert wrote:
Hail22 wrote: Slightly off topic however, isn't a simulator worth 3 pre season tests (example 2009, 2010, 2011) thus being more of a waste then the old system of all year testing?
In 2009 simulator was a disaster and this resulted in a dog
In 2010 they always had less df than their rivals and took many months to make the F-Duct work
In 2011 we know it, various exhausts systems no reliability no performance
In 2012 Hamilton already started moaning that the car is behaving differently than on the sim

Seem the sim has worked correctly only in the 15 days between last 2011 Barcelona test and Melbourne :mrgreen:
Paddy Lowe wants to bin their wind tunnel, they should seriously think to bin their sim too :mrgreen:
Thus validating the notion behind returning all year "track" testing...
You do realize that the simulator is only as good as the input plugged into it, right? That input comes from the wind tunnel... The moment they get their improved tunnel, the simulator also becomes more accurate

Hail22

NoDivergence wrote:
You do realize that the simulator is only as good as the input plugged into it, right? That input comes from the wind tunnel... The moment they get their improved tunnel, the simulator also becomes more accurate
Where i am coming from the cost barely touches the benefits of these recent rules of year round testing, I think a fee should of been created by FOM and the FIA to have a circuit free for all year round testing (example paul richard). I think it would benefit the lower budget teams who are finding owning a simulator to be costly.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

astracrazy
astracrazy

won't the simulator become more accurate after this first test? I was under the impression they had the best simulator going. The problem here is the aging windtunnel not the simulator

Shakeman

astracrazy wrote:won't the simulator become more accurate after this first test? I was under the impression they had the best simulator going. The problem here is the aging windtunnel not the simulator
Yes.

Despite the negativity towards McLaren's Simulator their in season development seems to show that it is still a capable tool. They'll always want it more accurate of course just like their wind tunnel.

I think there was a myth that was bought into by the rule makers that CFD and Sims could drastically reduce costs. Virgin proved that you could develop a car but not a competitive one using current state of the art CFD. We're still a way of the engineering utopia of complete virtual designing.

I'd like to see in season testing brought back and if FOM were more on the ball they could have televised public testing mid season where it's a chance for the public to interact more with the teams. Costs can be managed so that there is a level-ish playing field.

gray41

Wasn't there talk that the wind tunnel needed updating?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

raymondu999

Shakeman wrote:I think there was a myth that was bought into by the rule makers that CFD and Sims could drastically reduce costs. Virgin proved that you could develop a car but not a competitive one using current state of the art CFD. We're still a way of the engineering utopia of complete virtual designing.
Someone said a while back (though I can't remember where) that Nick Wirth was possibly underestimating the importance of continuously calibrating their CFD; and so they were just trying to develop their existing model through old CFD calibrations; without plugging data back in. I remember that he said that the car wouldn't even hit a wind tunnel at any point to even calibrate or validate the CFD.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Shakeman wrote:
astracrazy wrote:won't the simulator become more accurate after this first test? I was under the impression they had the best simulator going. The problem here is the aging windtunnel not the simulator
Yes.

Despite the negativity towards McLaren's Simulator their in season development seems to show that it is still a capable tool. They'll always want it more accurate of course just like their wind tunnel.

I think there was a myth that was bought into by the rule makers that CFD and Sims could drastically reduce costs. Virgin proved that you could develop a car but not a competitive one using current state of the art CFD. We're still a way of the engineering utopia of complete virtual designing.

I'd like to see in season testing brought back and if FOM were more on the ball they could have televised public testing mid season where it's a chance for the public to interact more with the teams. Costs can be managed so that there is a level-ish playing field.
MaCa has one of the best SIMs of the entire grid. Ferrari have always had Fiorano, so they didn't invest quite as heavily as other teams & Pat Fry is on record as saying they need to get their SIM up to par with McLaren and others.

As for the McLaren WindTunnel, it is old & aging. They are about the build another and it's already been approved. It's going to be an underground facility if I'm not mistaken.