Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

There's some amazing pictures of the McLaren flo-vis at this blog. Note the 3rd and 4th one as well which shows some hints of the exhaust plume.

http://formula12012testjerez.blogspot.com/
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Owen.C93 wrote:There's some amazing pictures of the McLaren flo-vis at this blog. Note the 3rd and 4th one as well which shows some hints of the exhaust plume.

http://formula12012testjerez.blogspot.com/
Wow, you can really see the air directed down low at the floor in front of the rear tyres -

Shakeman

Will other teams be looking at these flo images looking for hints?

Is there anyone here that can give an analysis of these images? Perhaps giving an indication where flow could be better etc?

Cheers

raymondu999

Shakeman wrote:Will other teams be looking at these flo images looking for hints?
I don't see why not. If I remember correctly that's how the McLaren, and the Mercedes, f-ducts got ratted out. The McLaren through use of flow-vis on their rear wing, and the Merc on dust (IIRC) getting on their front tyres and weird patterns showing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Coefficient
Coefficient

Shakeman wrote:Will other teams be looking at these flo images looking for hints?

Is there anyone here that can give an analysis of these images? Perhaps giving an indication where flow could be better etc?

Cheers

It’s difficult to say for sure but to me those flo-vis images don’t look too promising. Notice how the green paint appears to collect on top of the floor ahead of the rear wheel rather than continue to flow over the diffuser, I mean there is a really heavy deposit of paint collecting their suggesting that the downwash exhaust is causing a blockage to the flow from the undercut.

Or, when this photo was taken Lewis may have literally just set off after the team sprayed a mother load of paint right there to see what happens to it.

I have my own leanings here, suffice to say that teams don’t tend to use this much flo-vis unless they have some concerns.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

gray41

Coefficient wrote:
It’s difficult to say for sure but to me those flo-vis images don’t look too promising. Notice how the green paint appears to collect on top of the floor ahead of the rear wheel rather than continue to flow over the diffuser, I mean there is a really heavy deposit of paint collecting their suggesting that the downwash exhaust is causing a blockage to the flow from the undercut.

Or, when this photo was taken Lewis may have literally just set off after the team sprayed a mother load of paint right there to see what happens to it.

I have my own leanings here, suffice to say that teams don’t tend to use this much flo-vis unless they have some concerns.
I think the first two photos where there is a collection of paint must have been early in the lap because in the later photos the paint is being pushed back a lot more.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Coefficient wrote:

Cheers

I am really not sure that is true. Every team that relies on advanced CFD and simulation technology validate wind tunnel and simulation data with flo-vis nowadays, IMHO.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Schulteiss wrote:
Coefficient wrote:

Cheers

I am really not sure that is true. Every team that relies on advanced CFD and simulation technology validate wind tunnel and simulation data with flo-vis nowadays, IMHO.
They certainly do but last time a saw a team spray it on this thick was Mclaren in 2009 winter tests. Normally a thin coat is sufficient. My comment was not intended to relate to the frequency of flo vis use. Apologies for the confusion.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

You can see on the strake closest to the starter motor hole red from the front splitter/t-tray area.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Coefficient wrote:
Schulteiss wrote:
Coefficient wrote: It’s difficult to say for sure but to me those flo-vis images don’t look too promising. Notice how the green paint appears to collect on top of the floor ahead of the rear wheel rather than continue to flow over the diffuser, I mean there is a really heavy deposit of paint collecting their suggesting that the downwash exhaust is causing a blockage to the flow from the undercut.

They certainly do but last time a saw a team spray it on this thick was Mclaren in 2009 winter tests. Normally a thin coat is sufficient. My comment was not intended to relate to the frequency of flo vis use. Apologies for the confusion.
Don't think it is a question of thickness. Mc has this low front-end concept thingy, I think if they are validating airflow data from the front to the rear,it needs a bucketful of this stuff. It just freaks Mc fans out genetically when they see the green/yellow on the car since 2009. That car seems pretty solid to me.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Schulteiss wrote:
Don't think it is a question of thickness. Mc has this low front-end concept thingy, I think if they are validating airflow data from the front to the rear,it needs a bucketful of this stuff. It just freaks Mc fans out genetically when they see the green/yellow on the car since 2009. That car seems pretty solid to me.[/quote]

I have heard it said that unless their is some confusion the Flo Vis is applied as sparingly as possible to make it more difficult for onlookers to interpret the results.

I'm not freaked out, I'm just trying to maintain some objectivity despite being a devout Mclaren fan.

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

does this flow (redline) comes from the frontwing?

Pup
Pup

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:As for the McLaren WindTunnel, it is old & aging.
It's 8 years old. Just because they want a better one doesn't mean that their existing one isn't up to the task.

Pup
Pup

Coefficient wrote:Notice how the green paint appears to collect on top of the floor ahead of the rear wheel rather than continue to flow over the diffuser, I mean there is a really heavy deposit of paint collecting their suggesting that the downwash exhaust is causing a blockage to the flow from the undercut.
I mentioned this a few pages back. I do think it's possible that the exhaust isn't doing what they'd hoped, but you can't conclude anything from the photos.

As for the use of flowvis in general, it says nothing. The only time I think it says anything at all about the state of the car is if you see them using it early morning - it takes a lot of time to remove, so they always try do it at the very end of the day/test.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Pup wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:As for the McLaren WindTunnel, it is old & aging.
It's 8 years old. Just because they want a better one doesn't mean that their existing one isn't up to the task.
I never said it wasn't. Doesn't change the fact it is old and they are replacing it.