Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Gridlock wrote:Rockingham... 30 mins from here... No work today... Checked boards too late, I could have grabbed my biggest lens and camo jacket :D

Wasn't the "front wing f-duct" installed to solve a problem rather than to advance anything? As such it would be weird to see it back.
can you make it tomorrow?

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
Gridlock wrote:Rockingham... 30 mins from here... No work today... Checked boards too late, I could have grabbed my biggest lens and camo jacket :D

Wasn't the "front wing f-duct" installed to solve a problem rather than to advance anything? As such it would be weird to see it back.
can you make it tomorrow?
LOL, Don't think Mercedes will be delighted.....

spadeflush

whoever is the source, good job mate! =D>
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Gridlock

It's too cold to be hiding in bushes :shock:

Hopefully the teaser's a good one...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

spadeflush wrote:whoever is the source, good job mate! =D>
It could be a double bluff...but I'll take the applause anyway. :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

elf341
elf341

Ferraripilot wrote:
xpensive wrote:The W03 will without a doubt be something sensational.
I believe W02 was a very solid car with some minor fundamental issues which required sorting. If W03 is simply an evolution of that then they will be in good shape...
I think you're quite right that if W03 is an evolution it will be good.

Newey always talks about Evolution rather than Revolution. And I think there really is something to that more than being just a catchy soundbite. Being a statistical engineer myself, I've had far far more success through evolving old models than creating new ones from scratch - believe me, it can be /incredibly/ tempting to wipe with a clean slate and work from the bottom up.

I think it's a rather subtle point as to the reason why. The way I like to think about it is to imagine a model with, say, 100 components - maybe 10% of those components work far better than expected, 50% work exactly as expected, 30% work slightly more poorly than expected, and 10% are working in a very bad way. This is called 'model error' and is usual when using a simulation environment to design things. But the interesting thing is the 10%-components exceeding expectations in an unintentional way - a redesign can eliminate these 'super-components' and (perhaps) replace them with a different 10%, whereas an evolution style of development is usually focussed on converting the bottom set of extremely-bad components to either neutral or positive performance. So an evolution mode of development tends to improve performance by fixing bad parts whilst protecting the good parts, and especially the super-good parts whose good performance you can't fully understand. Sorry if this is off-topic.
Last edited by elf341 on 14 Feb 2012, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Gridlock wrote:It's too cold to be hiding in bushes :shock:

Can you imagine what those images would be worth? I can literally smell Coughlan's Venezuelan backed cash....
More could have been done.
David Purley

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Gridlock wrote:It's too cold to be hiding in bushes :shock:

Can you imagine what those images would be worth? I can literally smell Coughlan's Venezuelan backed cash....
HAHAHHAHAHA :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

Ferraripilot

elf341 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:
I believe W02 was a very solid car with some minor fundamental issues which required sorting. If W03 is simply an evolution of that then they will be in good shape...
I think you're quite right that if W03 is an evolution it will be good.

Newey always talks about Evolution rather than Revolution. And I think there really is something to that more than being just a catchy soundbite. Being a statistical engineer myself, I've had far far more success through evolving old models than creating new ones from scratch - believe me, it can be /incredibly/ tempting to wipe with a clean slate and work from the bottom up.

I think it's a rather subtle point as to the reason why. The way I like to think about it is to imagine a model with, say, 100 components - maybe 10% of those components work far better than expected, 50% work exactly as expected, 30% work slightly more poorly than expected, and 10% are working in a very bad way. This is called 'model error' and is usual when using a simulation environment to design things. But the interesting thing is the 10%-components exceeding expectations in an unintentional way - a redesign can eliminate these 'super-components' and (perhaps) replace them with a different 10%, whereas an evolution style of development is usually focussed on converting the bottom set of extremely-bad components to either neutral or positive performance. So an evolution mode of development tends to improve performance by fixing bad parts whilst protecting the good parts, and especially the super-good parts whose good performance you can't fully understand. Sorry if this is off-topic.

Wonderul post Elf. I certainly agree with this. This fundamental understanding of evolving components which are not operating well to a better operating condition should be the basis on a team. I believe this is the reason Ferrari are in for a rough year as they frankly don't know what's going to work and where just yet.

medeni73
medeni73

First impressions of paparazzi seeing W03...:)

yace

Ferraripilot wrote:
the main defect of the w02 its shortness. the floor is shorter than other cars, so it generated less ground effect comparing to other cars, and the rear of the car was large because of the shortness.
i remember the car has cooling and tyre degradation issues. it's also harder to make changes in a short car because you don't have leeway because there is no free space.

it's a shame because the w02 is well desingned :(
ImageImageImage

Tozza Mazza

I've just got a gut feeling with W03, that many people here may be 'dissapointed'.

Of course I'm hoping for it to have an f-duct wing, mercury suspension, lazer guns, boudicca wheels, sexy low nose, flamey exhausts, super shiny livery etc...

Thing is, it's very unlikely, with the conservative cars we've seen so far, and with the rumours about f-duct wings having been around since Suzuka.

MERCEDES PLEASE SURPRISE ME

dren

Tozza Mazza wrote:I've just got a gut feeling with W03, that many people here may be 'dissapointed'.

Of course I'm hoping for it to have an f-duct wing, mercury suspension, lazer guns, boudicca wheels, sexy low nose, flamey exhausts, super shiny livery etc...

Thing is, it's very unlikely, with the conservative cars we've seen so far, and with the rumours about f-duct wings having been around since Suzuka.

MERCEDES PLEASE SURPRISE ME
I think most of us expect a similar looking car with a few new features. I really like the way the W02 looked. I just hope the W03 is a good step forward relative to the competition.
Honda!

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

dren wrote:
I think most of us expect a similar looking car with a few new features. I really like the way the W02 looked. I just hope the W03 is a good step forward relative to the competition.
Same here.

marcush.
marcush.

I got the feeling we will see the car we were expecting for 2011 ...as that one I consider as unfinished half baked whatever.
I have the fealing that at some point Brawns troops realised they had it all wrong and abandonned the finishing of the project concentrating on the 2012 contender.
That car just looked unfinished in a lot of areas..
But I was wrong last year so why should my predictions be any better this time around...anyways I expect a still short car with a different nose to what we have seen yet (high tub) a very clean midship and rear picking up RBulls KERS positioning taken to the extreme.I wonder if Mclaren is still getting the same hardware for KERS...