Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Fredy4
Fredy4

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Last year their teaser was of the actual new car - I beleive this is as well.

spadeflush

With you there...This is the W03.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

The Pilot
The Pilot

Hello. Finally joined having read forum for a while.
I was keeping my fingers crossed hoping rear end not to short and restricting air flow but actually surprised at the length.
You are right the cockpit/airbox area does look interesting, almoct as if there are side exit vents - diverting air to top of sidepod to speed up airflow over this area and ultimately combine with exhaust gases for enhanced air flow to beam wing area? Pure speculation as teaser picture can play optical illusions with the eyes.

shelly
shelly

Fredy4 wrote:Last year their teaser was of the actual new car - I beleive this is as well.
ok then did not know that. They do behave differently
twitter: @armchair_aero

jordangp

can someone tell me where they are seeing this stepped nose? I've read through and everyone's saying it's definitely a stepped nose. To me it is completely black at that area. It is impossible to see.

I'm not doubting there is a step, I'm just saying there is no possible way to tell from that teaser pic.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

jordangp wrote:can someone tell me where they are seeing this stepped nose? I've read through and everyone's saying it's definitely a stepped nose. To me it is completely black at that area. It is impossible to see.

I'm not doubting there is a step, I'm just saying there is no possible way to tell from that teaser pic.

+1
If anything the picture lends me to think it will slope down a la McLaren.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Mr.S
Mr.S

Saying it is a slope like Mclaren is as ridiculous as saying it is a Stepped Down. It is impossible to say. Mercedes wont give away their Suspension,Exhaust,Nose before Barcelona.

Could be either,impossible to say from a picture taken at an angle & from that height. Beside the car could be mounted of axle kind of stuff like they do inside the pits

spadeflush

same can be said about the length...teaser pics are deceiving
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Cocles

Hail22 wrote:I want to see Ferrari Vs Mercedes like the old times...bring it back! bring back the heritage!

^^ Yes, absolutely!

dren

spadeflush wrote:same can be said about the length...teaser pics are deceiving
Yes, it looks longer, but it also looks thinner. That can make the car look even longer.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mr.S wrote:Saying it is a slope like Mclaren is as ridiculous as saying it is a Stepped Down.
Im afraid its not ridiculous.

Ridiculous is if I speculated it had propellers with anti warp gravity drive.

The reason I have given twice now is that the nose appears to be different at the tip than the W02. Narrower in fact.

Remember this?

More could have been done.
David Purley

tomek108
tomek108

It seems that a car is 5,2 - 5,3 meters long. I may be totally wrong with this, but I got this from the front wing which is 1,8 m long. That would be big increase over the old car which was 4,8 m long. That teaser could be stretched. Sorry for my bad english. Any thoughts?

dren

JET, it does look a little thinner at the tip, but the W03 already had a pretty thin nose. I would expect a much fatter nose if they went the way of the Brawn car. I'm expecting something close to the W03 but reworked to lower the front. It already had the side humps and a bit of a swoop.
Honda!

Richard
Richard

JET - having a different nose tip is no indication of a step or a slope.

You have a 50:50 chance of getting it right. I'd guess the odds are slanted toward a slope because this the Brawn GP precedent.

Mr.S
Mr.S

spadeflush wrote:same can be said about the length...teaser pics are deceiving
Ofcourse is it. But What kind of picture gives you a better about a wheelbase,a front/back end view or a top view. I see this picture & I remember the W02 & the hole nose-sidepods/rear & its looks a lot more streched out/elongated.

Ofcourse still impossible to say.But DEFINITELY looks longer than W02.