Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

@ dren

The W02 nose appears wider to me....

More could have been done.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

richard_leeds wrote:JET - having a different nose tip is no indication of a step or a slope.

You have a 50:50 chance of getting it right. I'd guess the odds are slanted toward a slope because this the Brawn GP precedent.

You are right richard, 50/50 and im not certain.
Im speculating (that word again...) that the team may have gone back to its original BGP idea for the nose, as you intimate.

Saying that I can see the strakes that could mean a "broken nose". only 5 days left....
David Purley

Mr.S
Mr.S

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@ dren

The W02 nose appears wider to me....

Take that picture from a 25-30 feet above.The nose is quite narrow too if you consider it how it will look from a distance. Just that the tip of the nose widens slightly. That has changed for sure. The tip is "VERY SLIGHTLY" narrower.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

another image of the wider hooter. Image
David Purley

yace

FrukostScones wrote:
yace wrote:400mm??? i think you mixed the cockpit area up with the airbox
=D> The cockpit, really on top of the engine? Now I know why they skipped the first test, that is an invention they don't want to be copied quickly!
Take a ruler and measure it yourself... If you know the dimesions of an F1 car it should not be to difficult for you. And maybe it is not the airbox I-m referring to, but the area around it seems interesting to me.
Maybe the shape only appears to be there because of this crappy teaser pic.
first you sayed the airbox, and know are talking about the area aroud it

check the comparision with the ferrari i've made, the scale is the same and you'll see where is the cockpit, the antena etc
ImageImageImage

Blackout

The sidepods look way more interesting than the damned nose. Has Merc kept the 2-superposed-radiators-on-each-sidepod-design last year ? that may expplain this tight shape...

Gerhardsa

This is only a rendering for the W02 for a racing sim, and not to scale or correct angles. Its just to show the approximate difference between the teaser W03's nose and the W02.
Last edited by Gerhardsa on 15 Feb 2012, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Richard

What sidepods? I can only see a digitally created streak on each side in the approximate vicinity of where a side pod might be located.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Blackout wrote:The sidepods look way more interesting than the damned nose. Has Merc kept the 2-superposed-radiators-on-each-sidepod-design last year ? that may expplain this tight shape...
Not exactly symmetrical either...that could be the teaser playing funnybuggers....
David Purley

Richard
Richard

JET - I'd noticed that too. So Merc have longer sidepods on one side than the other? Is that to accommodate the mercury? The lines will run down one side so the pod on the opposite side needs to be bigger to balance out the mass?

or its PR puff

Schurcedes
Schurcedes

I wonder if the additional length is to get a more gradual slope for the step on the nose.

Can't tell what the bulbous, increasing dia profile is, below the T-bar. Probably just the sculpting on the engine cover..

The lighting does play tricks on your mind, though; for example when I first saw the teaser I thought the edge of the engine cover was asymmetrical and bent at the rear. :lol:

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

guys, look at Merc's twitter background..

medeni73
medeni73

Hail22

Oh bloody hell its a duck bill nose...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

medeni73 wrote:Image
how did u get that?