Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
machine300
machine300

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Adamski wrote:
dren wrote:
machine300 wrote:Hey guys,

there is another teaser online on the homepage of mercedes amg:
http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/en/#/category/home/

right click --> view background image --> et voila

for me it looks like a undercut for the sidepods.

By the way hi to the forum :D
That picture is tricky too. The top edge of the sidepods are curved, but are likely flat in real life, so the inlets are hooking forward like the W02. This makes the intake look thinner and more oval than it probably is.
Hey guys! Don't be mad! This picture at least half a year old and it's the W02. I know it because I use it as my website background for more than 3 months.

ok, then the angle of this picture played games with my mind :| for me it looked more like inlets of the BGP01:

and there perhaps underneath the inlets could be enough space for an undercut.

i am sorry.. :| :|

Fredy4
Fredy4

Any idea on the shakedown time?

I was expecting to see a member saying they had seen it by now, even better that they had a pic.

raymondu999

dren wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
medeni73 wrote:Image
how did u get that?
That's the W02. Look at the nose, air box, mirrors, humps around driver's head, ect.
I don't think so - look at the branding. It says Merc AMG rather than Merc GP
Last edited by raymondu999 on 15 Feb 2012, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

medeni73
medeni73

No one knows when this will be. One info said today in Rockingham but it was apparently false info cos the guy went there and saw nothing (they didnt let him in so it could be true) but then again not a chance of having some pics...

ovidiulucaci

Fredy4 wrote:Any idea on the shakedown time?

I was expecting to see a member saying they had seen it by now, even better that they had a pic.
8:20 am, before the test in Barcelona.

kris
kris

Would a front wing F-duct work with a brawn style low nose?. The testing seemed to be done for one with a relatively high nose like W02

Ferraripilot

Definitely a longer and more slim car. The sidepods appear to be massively less wide. I believe thinner than even the Mclaren or RB. Impressive. The exhaust placement has me very curious now.

Adamski

machine300 wrote:
ok, then the angle of this picture played games with my mind :| for me it looked more like inlets of the BGP01:

i am sorry.. :| :|
No problem man! The second teaser today do the same with me! Then I see they posted it as their Twitter page background, so it's not fake. But certainly looks like the W02 from this point of view with these dark lights.
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

Trocola
Trocola

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

I can't wait for next Tuesday, when Mercedes presents his new contender and it would be a complete disapointment (like the last two years)

Trocola

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Trocola wrote:I can't wait for next Tuesday, when Mercedes presents his new contender and it would be a complete disapointment (like the last two years)

Trocola
What?
Is something lost in translation?
More could have been done.
David Purley

retpog55
retpog55

Stepped nose then? Long wheelbase? F-duct on the drivers helmut? Energy saving light bulbs in the showroom? These pics have really got the juices flowing, I expect more teasers aswell over the coming days.

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

there is another teaser online on the homepage of mercedes amg:
http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/en/#/category/home/

right click --> view background image --> et voila

for me it looks like a undercut for the sidepods.

By the way hi to the forum :D[/quote]

That picture is tricky too. The top edge of the sidepods are curved, but are likely flat in real life, so the inlets are hooking forward like the W02. This makes the intake look thinner and more oval than it probably is.[/quote]

Hey guys! Don't be mad! This picture at least half a year old and it's the W02. I know it because I use it as my website background for more than 3 months.[/quote]

i am sorry.. :| :|[/quote]

Indeed it is the w02 as you can see there the turning vane mounted on the sidepods actually introduced to the W02 during the Moncarco GP

walter
walter

first "images" hint at a stepped nose, the angle at the beginning of the nose does not make a connection with the beginning of the monocoque. I only hope that theres a smooth transition

another sneak preview of the car from the top, shows nicely tapered sidepods.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

havnt graham stopped sponsoring merc amg for 2012?

Predator

I don't get the talk of the asymmetrical sidepods. On that basis, if you go by the render, then the whole car is asymmetrical! Haha. The render is done in that way to replicate light hitting different surfaces. If the render was 100% symmetrical then the lighting would appear to be 'doctored', hence why it looks the way it does. And this is coming from a graphic designer. :wink:

I've shown you what I mean below. See how the arrows don't line up? And see how the car has different colour showing at different points? Yeah, that's to simulate lighting conditions:

It's just a real quick render by Mercedes 'designed' to entice, that's all, but it seems promising. I'm expecting a stepped nose (not as ugly as others), sleeker, more elegant sidepods (with large undercut) and maybe something different in the airbox/roll hoop area. As for exhaust position, I guess we'll have to wait to find out. Here's hoping they challenge the top 3 this season. [-o<