Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

I'm thinking the nose is thinner than W02 from an above perspective, but of course the thickness is maintained in a north south view for cross section requirements. Furthermore, I bet the f-duct passageway at the front is going to be a bit larger as a result of this nose shape.

Richard
Richard

Predator wrote:I don't get the talk of the asymmetrical sidepods.
It was a joke

People read too much into these teaser images. There is more evidence of asymmetric pods than there is of any of the other features spotted in these pics.
Last edited by Richard on 15 Feb 2012, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

dren

Well based on some hints...it will be stepped with a fatter nose than what it looks like in the picture. So probably a lot like the W02 but with a more pronounced step rather than the smooth transition.
Honda!

dren

yace wrote:Image
Good drawing, shows the overall shape!
Honda!

Predator

richard_leeds wrote:
Predator wrote:I don't get the talk of the asymmetrical sidepods.
Its a joke?

People read too much into these teaser images. There is more evidence of asymmetric pods than there is of any of the other features spotted in these pics.

I agree, they read way too much into these type of pics. Every minute detail is picked upon. They don't actually look at the photos, they see what they want to see. I get the mercury jokes, but don't think people were kidding re: the sidepods.

dren

Re: Mercedes GP W03

dren wrote:The W03 will likely be a stretched evolution of the W02.
I had to pull an X and quote myself from page 4.
Honda!

Mr.S
Mr.S

Fair enough. I reckon Merc have blundered showing the Front Wing F-duct too soon. When I see Newey designing that so-called gigantic Cooling outlet in that shape at the stepped up/down junction of the nose I cant help wonder if Newey has got an even better version that Front Wing F-duct.

Posted this in the RBR thread as well. Hope Merc have got the Hg linked RRH or whatever such stuff,I hope they have got 1 more killer stuff they have not already given up.

dren

Mr.S wrote:Fair enough. I reckon Merc have blundered showing the Front Wing F-duct too soon. When I see Newey designing that so-called gigantic Cooling outlet in that shape at the stepped up/down junction of the nose I cant help wonder if Newey has got an even better version that Front Wing F-duct.

Posted this in the RBR thread as well. Hope Merc have got the Hg linked RRH or whatever such stuff,I hope they have got 1 more killer stuff they have not already given up.
Didn't the RB8 have a fairly high trap speed during testing? I think I remember reading that during the Autosport Live feed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Honda!

Mr.S
Mr.S

Bang on Dren. And RBR never once put on the softs with even a mid-level fuel load. There times are fairly high & nowhere near qualy sim. They sandbag so I doubt they would even use DRS the whole lap.

Mercedes showed huge Straightline speed but I dont rule them out using DRS & doing a qualy lap.

It's just not Straightline speed. Having a shorter & better path to feed clean air to the rear of the car can give Big-Time Downforce,considering any little bit can make considerable difference. All the more reason I feel Mclaren are f***ed this time without EBD. I see no way they can recover all that downforce & create a Title Winning car.

Richard
Richard

Mr.S wrote:Bang on Dren. And RBR never once put on the softs with even a mid-level fuel load. There times are fairly high & nowhere near qualy sim. They sandbag so I doubt they would even use DRS the whole lap.
Evidence?

--------------

I'll ignore your McLaren comment, it is off topic for the Merc thread. It would also be off topic in the MP4-27 thread, the mods aren't keen on "you're f****d" posts, they don't perceive that as a technical contribution.

Mr.S
Mr.S

richard_leeds wrote:
Mr.S wrote:Bang on Dren. And RBR never once put on the softs with even a mid-level fuel load. There times are fairly high & nowhere near qualy sim. They sandbag so I doubt they would even use DRS the whole lap.
Evidence?

I'll ignore your McLaren comment, it is off topic for the Merc thread. It would also be off topic in the MP4-27 thread, the mods aren't keen on "you're f****d" posts, they don't perceive that as a technical contribution.
What?? Are you a mod?? If not take your ridiculous discussion elsewhere. I look at mclaren's nose & I feel its very hard for them to shift all that in there to make the huge outlet RBR made & find a passage.

They lost huge time due to EBD. I dont see how they can make that out. This could be a potentially Scale Tilting Innovation & Mclaren IMO will find it hard to adjust. And I made a sane comment. Nothing for you to rant about mate.

I am not not on a BASH Mclaren mission in here. I hope Jenson wins a lot of Races.

Mr.S
Mr.S

As per evidence goes. Its got to do with common sense. RBR have not had many Soft Tyre runs as per Autosport feed. Even when they did their times were fairly high. Considering they were by far the best car last year & with only a slight change of rules they should be somewhere near the top.

Besides If you followed the testing lap in lap out,RBR really did not do a 3 or 4 lap Qualy run in Soft Tyres. Following the test properly would tell you that.

Trocola
Trocola

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Trocola wrote:I can't wait for next Tuesday, when Mercedes presents his new contender and it would be a complete disapointment (like the last two years)

Trocola
What?
Is something lost in translation?
For the first time i didn't apologise for my english and this happens... sorry

I was just saying that the new Mercedes would be a bad car, just like the one last year. If you read the pre-launch-speculation threat (or treat, i do not know the correct word), it seems this new merc would be like a rocket, but faster.
Last year it was also the same: the W02 was everything but a good car. But, on this forum, people started to say that the upgrade for Australia would make the W02 a complete new car, with FEE and all that stuff... just to be the same crappy car.

Trocola

Gridlock

On balance, and despite the petrodollars available, I decided not to spend my day trespassing and/or evading security guards and/or staring at a deserted Rockingham. Sorry :)

yace

machine300 wrote:Hey guys,

there is another teaser online on the homepage of mercedes amg:
http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/en/#/category/home/

right click --> view background image --> et voila

for me it looks like a undercut for the sidepods.

By the way hi to the forum :D
i thinked the team lose Graham as sponsor?

@ dren

thank you, i just lengthened the lines
ImageImageImage