Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
neilbah
neilbah

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

basrawi wrote:no its not the w02. Look at the roll hoop and the extra air intake on top of that.

this IS the new car, the front wing will not be the same one that they will use in the first race.
+1 on that

Trocola
Trocola

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Trocola

You must have got the wrong end of the stick.

I dont think anyone expects the W03 to be the fastest car out there. And iam more than a bit perplexed by your post which seemingly wishes the team failure.
What i am trying to say is that every year people hope for a radical idea from Mercedes & Brawn and then they come with a quite simple car. On this year's thread, i have read about interconected suspensions, mercury, etc... and none of them would be on the car.

Last year's car was going to be the biggest thing ever, and it was an average car, fighting with Toro Rosso at the end of the season.

And no, i do not wish the team's failure. In fact, I want the W03 to be a great car, as i want the RB8, the MP4-27, the E20 and the F2012 to be great cars too (well, the Ferrari one not so much :lol: as i am a Mclaren fan and do not like Alonso). That would make this season a great one, with 6 WDC and lots of cars with chances to win a race. But, for what I have seen the last two seasons, I do not think Mercedes would build a great car.
And that is not wishing them to have a failure, it is just what i think. I am sorry if you thought that.

Step by step, i would improve my English...

Trocola

atanatizante

There are rumors saying that they will have a stepped nose.
Further more, this nose features a cooling inlet like RB does and it has a bifurcation aiming to route the air flow towards the engine, nullifying practically the air box intake ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

Schulteiss wrote:
yener wrote:Teaser pictures are WO2 pictures. You can see the WO2 front wing clearly.

Maybe MGP is so stupid to keep the front wing for the third year on a row. :lol:
Actually, though 3rd-generation, Mercedes was quite satisfied with that front wing, I am not sure they will not keep it running. Front wings are the most obvious things an average fan notices, especially if they change, even a little bit. They are a little over-hyped, usually. Just because its not a 3-4 flap thingy, it was said to do the job pretty well. Balance is king.
Mercedes being satisfied with that front wing ??? source ??.. on the contrary when the wing was introduced (MACH III - AS MANY WOULD REMEMBER ON THIS FORUM) in last years barclona PRE SEASON test the drivers gave feedback that the wing disrupted the balance of the car and they went back to the MACH II wing. The Mach III wing was only later introduced at the EUROPEAN GP.

Cocles

Trocola wrote:On this year's thread, i have read about interconected suspensions, mercury, etc... and none of them would be on the car.
Do you have a source, or is this just pessimism?
...it was an average car, fighting with Toro Rosso at the end of the season.
Mercedes Benz had ceased development on the W02 by this point, which is why those teams caught up. Fourth place was mathematically locked, and third place out of reach. Are the people making this point honestly trying to claim that Merc should have continued to develop the W02 at this stage instead of moving onto the W03?

As for it being an average car... yes, a car that beat every other team except for Ferrari, McLaren, and Red Bull was AVERAGE.

Good grief.
But, for what I have seen the last two seasons, I do not think Mercedes would build a great car.
And that is not wishing them to have a failure, it is just what i think. I am sorry if you thought that.
So you believe that Bob Bell, Aldo Costa, and Geoff Willis will have zero positive effect on the team? That's bleak.

Hail22

Adrian Newey scoffs at Bob Bell because he knows that with time and resources Bobby boy can make a sleeper that can strike fear into its enemies.

Aldo Costa is the understudy of the legendary yet not talked of often Rory Byrne thus a new team and new ethos may provide him the freedom to pursue what his master taught him.

This years car will be very interesting and as a Ferrari fan i want Mercedes to be at the top against Ferrari, Formula 1 has been lacking a "legitimate" competition for many years its time for the Prancing Horse and the Silver Arrows to duel it out once more!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Trocola
Trocola

Cocles wrote:
Trocola wrote:On this year's thread, i have read about interconected suspensions, mercury, etc... and none of them would be on the car.
Do you have a source, or is this just pessimism?
Pessimism. I have no source, as nobody has any source about that interconected suspension. Last year it was about FEE, the Australian upgrade, the Montmelo upgrade... nothing at all
Cocles wrote:
...it was an average car, fighting with Toro Rosso at the end of the season.
Mercedes Benz had ceased development on the W02 by this point, which is why those teams caught up. Fourth place was mathematically locked, and third place out of reach. Are the people making this point honestly trying to claim that Merc should have continued to develop the W02 at this stage instead of moving onto the W03?

As for it being an average car... yes, a car that beat every other team except for Ferrari, McLaren, and Red Bull was AVERAGE.

Good grief.
In fact, the Renault was, at the beginning of the season, better than the Mercedes. They improve the car to pass the Renault, what an efford!!! Having stoped the development of the W01 to build an average W02... Last year they did the same thing to develop the W03. Let's see what they do
Cocles wrote:
But, for what I have seen the last two seasons, I do not think Mercedes would build a great car.
So you believe that Bob Bell, Aldo Costa, and Geoff Willis will have zero positive effect on the team? That's bleak.
Aldo Costa... is that the man ferrari sacked?
Well, they can have a positive effect... or a negative one. Look at Renault: they sacked Paul Gascoyne and they won two WDC and two WCC.

And, as i said, it is just my opinion based on what i have seen the last two years opposite of what i have read on this forum, always talking about the next Merc been a revolutionary thing. Would it be the same this year (much ado about nothing)? I think the answer is "yes", and I understand you think "no".

Having said that, I repeat that i want a quick W03, that will improve the F1 show. It is just that i don't belive it would be quick.

Trocola

Cocles

Trocola wrote:Aldo Costa... is that the man ferrari sacked?
If you have to ask, then you probably haven't been following the changes Merc has made to their team since the development of the W02, and should therefore hold off on such sweeping predictions of woe.

This is the first year we'll finally see what most of us think of when we hear, "Mercedes Benz F1 works team". No shoe string budget, and an impressive braintrust.

If they don't break into the top three, they'll be damn close. They're obviously doing something with the front wing air duct. We saw that at the last test, so I think it's foolish to speculate they won't be bringing anything to the table.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

so Guys.. you reckon we'll reach 150 pages of speculation before the 21st? :lol:

basrawi
basrawi

I'm betting on 160 :D
M Basrawi

Hail22

I'm going with 160 as well, on the day alone the teaser photo came out two pages were made within two hours ;)

Anyways all aside, do you think they will go with a thinner shinnier floor like Ferrari has (Rory Byrne design and remember Costa worked under byrne).

Also from this photo:

Do you think they will bring this design/concept to Barcelona, the asymetrical designs suggest good flow over the cone as well as exhaust flow to the rear rake/wing.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

QLDriver
QLDriver

A vote for the teaser being the W02 - it gained the secondary airbox intake during the season. Check the photos from the Jerez test!

basrawi
basrawi

Here what i think about the exhaust layout for this season. From a basic concept and principal: Teams will evaluate which will give more benefit, either to direct the gases to to rear wing and/or any devices mounted to the rear wing (F-Duck like device), OR somehow direct the gases back to the floor and untimely reaching the diffuser.

I think rear down-force is the bottleneck for this season.
M Basrawi

basrawi
basrawi

QLDriver wrote:A vote for the teaser being the W02 - it gained the secondary airbox intake during the season. Check the photos from the Jerez test!
Good point, but still last season their teaser was the real thing. So i have no reason to reject the released pic as the new car.

Lets not forget this car will be an evolution, so some designs will be carried over.

M Basrawi

Mr.S
Mr.S

atanatizante wrote:There are rumors saying that they will have a stepped nose.
Further more, this nose features a cooling inlet like RB does and it has a bifurcation aiming to route the air flow towards the engine, nullifying practically the air box intake ...
I would love this to be true,but any SOURCE mate???