Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

13 pages in one night??? Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Hail22

Don't know but 5 days remaining ladies and gents, we have barely seen any bets come on put your cohones on the line and speculate/make a risky assesment on what the car is going to look like, perform like, will it be an evolution or will it be a brand new car due to the new minds and resources placed into Mercedes AMG?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

kris
kris

Mr.S wrote:
atanatizante wrote:There are rumors saying that they will have a stepped nose.
Further more, this nose features a cooling inlet like RB does and it has a bifurcation aiming to route the air flow towards the engine, nullifying practically the air box intake ...
I would love this to be true,but any SOURCE mate???
Not sure what level of trust we can have on the twitter account of mercamgf1fans (they do seem to post here too so :D ). They seem to indicate a stepped nose. Cooling inlet they dont seem to say any

MIKEY_!

They would have a hard time getting that volume of air around the tub. Feeding the sidepods might be an option.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Hi all.. just found out on twitter, that they're taking the W03 up to silverstone today! HAHHA! trying to find out who's driving it.. we might see some pics leaked today
Steve Tynan @Onionterrors
Heading up to Silverstone later to see the new car run before launch. There's blood and sweat in that car I tell ya #F1

DAMNINice

Two pictures I posted on my twitter account....
I don`t know If you´ve seen them:

Teaser Pic 1:

Grubby wheelbase calculation...

btw. what was the W02 Wheelbase?? What do you think are they going to stay the short wheelbase route or are they going closer to RB?

REgards

Marc
REal men play with twins!

raymondu999

welcome to the forums DAMIN. Could there not be a McLaren-style slope; based on that teaser?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhardsa

This is from Page 139

its only rough, but give an idea of what it might look like

Med4224

"I assume that they want to hide something from the competition," Newey admitted to Sport Bild. "It must be something that can be copied quite quickly; otherwise they wouldn't try so hard to keep it secret."

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... CMP=chrome

maybe Newey knows what he's talking about?
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

Mr.S
Mr.S

Newey was not alone in believing Mercedes had discovered some sort of innovation once again, with Helmut Marko adding: "They seem to have something special at the front of the car."

Morteza

Med4224 wrote:"I assume that they want to hide something from the competition," Newey admitted to Sport Bild. "It must be something that can be copied quite quickly; otherwise they wouldn't try so hard to keep it secret."

What's the point of hiding something that can be copied so quickly? If they are that desperate about other copying their idea, why even bringing the car to the races of 2012? :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mr.S
Mr.S

Morteza wrote:
Med4224 wrote:"I assume that they want to hide something from the competition," Newey admitted to Sport Bild. "It must be something that can be copied quite quickly; otherwise they wouldn't try so hard to keep it secret."

What's the point of hiding something that can be copied so quickly? If they are that desperate about other copying their idea, why even bringing the car to the races of 2012? :mrgreen:
If that was meant to be a joke it was a pretty poor one. Anyways team just dont copy it blindly. They will first have to investiage it,try it in the wind-tunnel & simulator & then manufacture it. All of it takes time.

Bear in mind,ALL teams have planned upgrades for the 2nd/3rd test & 1st Race. Also they might be investigating some other feature from some other car. Trying to copy Mercedes in 15 days is hard,they will have to change a lot of resource allocation & direction of development.

And it might not even work as well as it can for Mercedes.

Med4224

Morteza wrote:

Copied "quickly" on F1 standards, not quickly as in 2 days. Maybe 2 - 3 races, not to mention the need to test it and optimize it after it is copied and so on.

It certainly can't be copied before the first couple of races at least.

Similar to the Mclaren F-duct thing.
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

kris
kris

Mr.S wrote:
Morteza wrote:

If that was meant to be a joke it was a pretty poor one. Anyways team just dont copy it blindly. They will first have to investiage it,try it in the wind-tunnel & simulator & then manufacture it. All of it takes time.

Bear in mind,ALL teams have planned upgrades for the 2nd/3rd test & 1st Race. Also they might be investigating some other feature from some other car. Trying to copy Mercedes in 15 days is hard,they will have to change a lot of resource allocation & direction of development.

And it might not even work as well as it can for Mercedes.
Wasn't the car with Double diffuser by brawn launched in the second test?. It took a lot of discussion and time before others could copy it, by that time they had a huge lead in WDC and WCC.

retpog55
retpog55

Not only that but Mercedes can continue to develop it and take it forward while the others continuously play catch up. What "it" is no one really knows but that Newey article has heightened my expectations somewhat.

Going back to the Jerez times from a few pages back; Schumacher's fastest time on the hard tyre looks quite impressive.

Day 2
1. Schumacher – 1’18’’561 on Hard New