Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ozan
Ozan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

yace wrote:Image

it was hard to find the scale because of the quality, but i think it's ok
what I see from this picture:

-platypus nose like caterham's
-undercut low sidepods like STR7
-exhaust design like mclaren

I may be wrong because of the quality of picture+video

dren

The quality and the colors of the sponsor logos I think are throwing us off.
Honda!

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Intego wrote:Megan Fox is overrated!
Very good job, yace! =D>
Well, maybe the car as well?! :D

Rikhart
Rikhart

I can´t believe that there isn´t a single decent photograph... Frustrating!

Ferraripilot

It definitely looks like the CoG of the sidepods is lower

yace

i'm happy you love the photomontage :)
ImageImageImage

basrawi
basrawi

"The nose is the most discussed issue," said Haug. "It's a stepped nose as some have seen. It's a very nice solution really and a very dynamic one."

So it is a stepped nose
M Basrawi

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

Nice yace!
Hard to tell what's going on at the front of the sidepods. It kind of looks like they are cut away so that the inner part is further forward than the outer part. Like this:

edit: After looking at pocketmoons little video, it might just be a camera mounted on to there. This was supposedly a video shoot, right?
Last edited by Maynard G. Krebs on 16 Feb 2012, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

dren

basrawi wrote:"The nose is the most discussed issue," said Haug. "It's a stepped nose as some have seen. It's a very nice solution really and a very dynamic one."

So it is a stepped nose
Where did you get that?
Honda!

basrawi
basrawi

dren wrote:
basrawi wrote:"The nose is the most discussed issue," said Haug. "It's a stepped nose as some have seen. It's a very nice solution really and a very dynamic one."

So it is a stepped nose
Where did you get that?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97551
M Basrawi

dren

Honda!

Tyler
Tyler

Despite what may or may not be going on with the sidepods they definitely look longer than those of the Red Bull.
I wonder if maybe it's just not possible for the cars with the Merc engine to package them as tightly as the Renault, maybe due to cooling requirements or something like that.
Surely with aerodynamics playing such an important role, the Renault engine and not the Merc should be considered the best engine to have?

pocketmoon

"We had the car on the rig ahead of time " Norbert

And what an amazing bit of kit the rig is. You strap the car down and it uses hydraulics to replay the undulations and bump of a track previously recorded.

dren

pocketmoon wrote:

"We had the car on the rig ahead of time " Norbert

And what an amazing bit of kit the rig is. You strap the car down and it uses hydraulics to replay the undulations and bump of a track previously recorded.
That's for the mechanical side of things. I'm going to guess the extra design work was for aero development.
Honda!

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Tyler wrote:Despite what may or may not be going on with the sidepods they definitely look longer than those of the Red Bull.
I wonder if maybe it's just not possible for the cars with the Merc engine to package them as tightly as the Renault, maybe due to cooling requirements or something like that.
Surely with aerodynamics playing such an important role, the Renault engine and not the Merc should be considered the best engine to have?
It is well-known that the Renault lump is smaller. It is not that obvious though that it is the engine to have. I assume that there are more ways than one to optimize air flow to and through the rear. Plus, Newey has sacrificed a few things on the altar of packaging. One of the notables is the KERS package they run. They are running their own, not the Renault Sport supply, because that does not fit. They will not be much better on the KERS front than in 2011, which was basically sxxt. The Renault lump's consumption advantage will be decreased somewhat too, with blow-mapping banned.

edit: So, no, personally, I would laugh off a suggestion of giving up the Mercedes engines for the Renault by this year.