Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

raymondu999 wrote:Hail22 - do you mean the grid in general, or the W02 vs W03 in particular?
The grid but most importantly the W03 since the 02 was absolute trash...no offence to anyone but that car had lost potential...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Schurcedes
Schurcedes

That is a pretty steep drop on the nose!

Tyler
Tyler

Nice to see that it's not covered with gills like the W02.
I'm going to predict that this car will be up amongst the front runners
Last edited by Tyler on 17 Feb 2012, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.S
Mr.S

I can clearly see an R shaped type element Mclaren/RBR used in their FW last year in the W03.

The sidepods are better than last year. But then I expected better sidepods than those fat ugly duds in the W02. Perhaps I had too high an expectation & expected an even sleeker with an even bigger undercut.

They ran with DRS open(from the high res-picture). No element on the rear-wing like what other teams used.

The dissapointing part is no "So-called Cooling Outlet" on the step down portion of the nose like RBR.

Front Wing looks very high from the ground,so not much flexing in there.
Last edited by Mr.S on 17 Feb 2012, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Mandrake
Mandrake

yace wrote:
sterumbelow wrote:[img]Pic[/img]
thanx bro!

the rear is disappointing :(
What do you find disappointing about it? it looks okeay from the side. No gills or vents and certainly more space/ fluent transition of the sidepods towards the rear.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

gonzo_sbz wrote:Looks like pull rod suspension in front.....?
Pushrod, the wishbones seems quite close but I haven't seen the bottom ones.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

sterumbelow wrote:Image

A serious evolution of the W02.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Tyler
Tyler

Mr.S wrote:I can clearly see an R shaped type element Mclaren/RBR used in their FW last year in the W03.
Yes you can clearly see them - at last a new front wing!!!

Froggolo
Froggolo

ovidiulucaci wrote:I'm dissapointed with that design. Nothing spectacular, like all the cars on the grid. :(
What's there to hide?

everyone supposed they waited to show the car to hide something to others,
probably instead, they waited to show the car to copy other's solutions :wtf:
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

Tyler
Tyler

Froggolo wrote:
ovidiulucaci wrote:I'm dissapointed with that design. Nothing spectacular, like all the cars on the grid. :(
What's there to hide?

everyone supposed they waited to show the car to hide something to others,
probably instead, they waited to show the car to copy other's solutions :wtf:
Doubtful - it has the stepped nose but that seems to be an idea that everyone had to begin with and there are rumours that the car was ready in time for the Jerez tests

ovidiulucaci

Mandrake wrote:
What's there to hide?
What do you want to see spectacular about it? The nose is not visible in detail, so we cannot see if it's spectacular. The Sidepods look very good to me, different from the other teams and heading into the right direction coming from the W02.

Overall I'm more satisfied with its looks than I was with the W03. Surely, look doesn't tell about performance, but the major design flaws this board discovered for the W02 have been improved quite a lot.....now if only the build quality is up to Mercedes standards a lot of discussion ground is nullified :D

I also think the front suspension is mounted very low....there is so much space towards to top of the bulkhead
Well....i don't know! I'm not an F1 designer or engineer, but i liked yace ideea of the exhaust, and for me that was something else, something different. Yes, the sidepods are different, lower i think and the nose is very rounded on the top, but for me is not enough, i was expecting more. After all we talk about the silver arrows!!! you expect more innovative things from them. The W03 seems to be longer, but from one picture is hard to tell. Maybe i am too pessimistic about the design.
I just hope that the car will be fast.

yace

i was a expecting a more compact rear, like redbull or ferrari
ImageImageImage

Mestrades
Mestrades

What is it that Mercedes wanted to hide? I don't understand nothing. This is a simple evolution of the W02 and rememeber, the W02 was overcomed for Force India and Toro Rosso. I expect another WDC WCC to RBR. Good job Newey.

Froggolo
Froggolo

Tyler wrote: Doubtful - it has the stepped nose but that seems to be an idea that everyone had to begin with and there are rumours that the car was ready in time for the Jerez tests
I (hope I) was kidding:)
is too early to talk simply watching a blurred photo,
after the official presentation we will be able to see the general layout of the car,
but even then, could be something is still hidden and not officially shown,
at least is what i wish for, as its always interesting to appreciate new solutions and new ideas.
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Mestrades wrote:What is it that Mercedes wanted to hide? I don't understand nothing. This is a simple evolution of the W02 and rememeber, the W02 was overcomed for Force India and Toro Rosso. I expect another WDC WCC to RBR. Good job Newey.
Who said they wanted to hide anything? This is perfectly in line with what could be expected.