Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
myurr
myurr

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:In the end, I agree with Shakeman. Nothing of great significance can be gleaned from this after the first test. But there are some potentially worrying signs, and to ignore it and hope for the best is not constructive in my opinion.
I look forward to your posts in the Mercedes thread after the next test :)

PlatinumZealot

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Well Hamilton appears fairly lukewarm with the MP4-27. There where murmurs of it at Jerez, but apparently Kovalainen has spilt the beans on the situation as it currently stands.
Not enough down force in the fast corners.
Their fastest time was set with an aggressive fuel load(lowish) and Lotus still out did them by a second.

There was also a bit of a red herring by McLaren during the unveiling of the 27. Being referred to as the "A" spec iteration.
Knowing Mclaren they will probably have something by the final test that works out the box, but its still a bit of an unnerving read for fans....

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamil ... -reports/?
Vettel also comment on less rear downforce. And Aggressive fuel load in an mechanical terms could mean stressing the tyres more than normal, which could very well mean extremely high fuel loads.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

less df isto be expected especially mid slow corner. I agree with n smikle. Aggressive could mean "you know what? Let's do a quali run with FULL tanks."
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:In the most recent AS edition, Gary Anderson says he thinks the McLaren contradicts the latest Technical Directive & doesn't see how they'll be legal. On a more interesting note he analyzes the sidepods.
He compares the triangular sidepods of other teams to the "letterbox" with triangular openings allowing a 40-45 degree undercut. When you get air thru the bargeboard under the sidepod inlet fast the aim is to get the coke bottle section to suck air back towards the rear, this creates a low pressure area under the sidepod but you also create a low pressure area on top of the floor & they end up canceling each other out. A larger sidepod angle increases the surface area & the low pressure area goes out beyond the floor. He claims he isn't criticizing McLaren, only says the car isn't as good as it could be.

He probably wrote that article before it was announced that there never was any technical directive...

Exhaust on the -27 is legal to the letter of the rules and regulations, end of story.

Pup
Pup

Pierce89 wrote:
Pup wrote:Ferrari did the same last year. I remember reading that they had to shut down their tunnel for a considerable time to correct some issues. In fact, I think I remember that the F150 was largely designed in the Toyota tunnel. Lot of good that did them. :lol:
I don't get the joke( I do its just not very funny)
Because it wasn't really a joke, Mr. Touchy.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

myurr wrote: I look forward to your posts in the Mercedes thread after the next test :)

I dont know what you mean! :twisted:
More could have been done.
David Purley

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:In the most recent AS edition, Gary Anderson says he thinks the McLaren contradicts the latest Technical Directive & doesn't see how they'll be legal. On a more interesting note he analyzes the sidepods.
He compares the triangular sidepods of other teams to the "letterbox" with triangular openings allowing a 40-45 degree undercut. When you get air thru the bargeboard under the sidepod inlet fast the aim is to get the coke bottle section to suck air back towards the rear, this creates a low pressure area under the sidepod but you also create a low pressure area on top of the floor & they end up canceling each other out. A larger sidepod angle increases the surface area & the low pressure area goes out beyond the floor. He claims he isn't criticizing McLaren, only says the car isn't as good as it could be.
Looking at how the flow vis operates, I highly disagree. The undercut is working amazingly. And that talk about Lewis said to Heikki said to AmuS is just heresay. I'd highly doubt that Lewis would say that to any driver other than Jenson. And I'd also highly doubt Heikki would reveal that to reporters. Massive breach of trust if he did

clutterm
clutterm

First post, so apologies if I get stuff wrong.

I think people saying that Mclaren have missed a trick (regarding their nose) have missed a trick themselves. If you take a close look at the snow plow it splits the under-nose air flow into 2. The upper half is guided out before the pushrod. The lower half then expands to fill the under-nose volume, creating downforce. This effect is maximised by using the upper air as a virtual skirt for the lower diffuser.

A better solution than than RB and everyone else, maybe. It certainly looks better, and from my experience if it looks better it tends to be better.

Afterburner

According to recent news, LH said he isn't very happy with the MP4-27.

dren

Afterburner wrote:According to recent news, LH said he isn't very happy with the MP4-27.
Where?
Honda!

Richard
Richard

dren wrote:
Afterburner wrote:According to recent news, LH said he isn't very happy with the MP4-27.
Where?
The previous two pages, a non-story IMHO

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

No that's just the German media twisting his words for headlines. He said nothing of the sort. Here is the latest interview with Lewis where he said the car felt quite good.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... um=twitter

Afterburner

dren wrote:
Where?
http://translate.google.pt/translate?sl ... 36&act=url

Mandrake
Mandrake

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Here is the latest interview with Lewis where he said the car felt quite good.
As long as Lewis doesn't say it's the best car he has ever driven they're in trouble ;)

PlatinumZealot

The monkey seat under the rear wing is definitely a sign that Mac are either low on rear Down Force, OR they have enough downfore but too much on the front.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028