Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

n smikle wrote:The monkey seat under the rear wing is definitely a sign that Mac are either low on rear Down Force, OR they have enough downfore but too much on the front.
Not strictly true, you need to take the whole package into consideration, and until the 1st race in Melbourne none of us armchair followers will know really ow each car will perform.

Pup
Pup

n smikle wrote:The monkey seat under the rear wing is definitely a sign that Mac are either low on rear Down Force, OR they have enough downfore but too much on the front.
:?

Tozza Mazza

No EBD.

Simple.

raymondu999

How efficient is such a wing though? I mean I would think it wouldn't add much downforce, purely due to the small size, no? But how drag-efficient would downforce from the monkey seat be?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

N12ck

Tozza Mazza wrote:
No EBD.

Simple.
+1
Budding F1 Engineer

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

raymondu999 wrote:How efficient is such a wing though? I mean I would think it wouldn't add much downforce, purely due to the small size, no? But how drag-efficient would downforce from the monkey seat be?
It helps out the beam wing and rear wing because the flow is pretty awful at the center of the car for obvious reasons.

Really the only thing we have to go in is that we often see them bolted to cars at Monaco, which is traditionally a place where you see inefficient parts put on for ultimate downforce.

That said I wouldn't read too much into it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

dren

Right, it will likely show up for some races like Monaco. Teams still ran with them last year when EBDs added loads of rear end DF, so perhaps they aren't so inefficient?
Honda!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

dren wrote:Right, it will likely show up for some races like Monaco. Teams still ran with them last year when EBDs added loads of rear end DF, so perhaps they aren't so inefficient?
The teams with crappy EBDs ran them if I remember correctly.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Gridlock

You have a CFD model. You have a wind tunnel. You need good correlation from one to the other to the actual car. So, you bolt on as many variations as possible during the very very limited testing to make sure that your CFD and 60%ers can accurately model all possible solutions for any likely questions.

Jerez was data entry, largely tyre-led and with aero correlation a close second.

PlatinumZealot

Owen.C93 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:How efficient is such a wing though? I mean I would think it wouldn't add much downforce, purely due to the small size, no? But how drag-efficient would downforce from the monkey seat be?
It helps out the beam wing and rear wing because the flow is pretty awful at the center of the car for obvious reasons.

Really the only thing we have to go in is that we often see them bolted to cars at Monaco, which is traditionally a place where you see inefficient parts put on for ultimate downforce.

Mclaren has never used a monkey seat in recent times so I think them resorting to it now when other top teams are not, is noteworthy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:

Mclaren has never used a monkey seat in recent times so I think them resorting to it now when other top teams are not, is noteworthy.
Eh? They used one in later races both in '10 and '11.

Here's the -26 with a monkey seat at Korea:

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gridlock wrote:You have a CFD model. You have a wind tunnel. You need good correlation from one to the other to the actual car. So, you bolt on as many variations as possible during the very very limited testing to make sure that your CFD and 60%ers can accurately model all possible solutions for any likely questions.

Jerez was data entry, largely tyre-led and with aero correlation a close second.
+1

Can't wait until Melbourne so we can actually see the cars actual pace.

Hail22

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Gridlock wrote:You have a CFD model. You have a wind tunnel. You need good correlation from one to the other to the actual car. So, you bolt on as many variations as possible during the very very limited testing to make sure that your CFD and 60%ers can accurately model all possible solutions for any likely questions.

+1

Can't wait until Melbourne so we can actually see the cars actual pace.
And i shall be there...sneaking >:)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

fsliv
fsliv

n smikle wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:

If I recall they used it for wet races in 11

Pup
Pup

n smikle wrote:Mclaren has never used a monkey seat in recent times so I think them resorting to it now when other top teams are not, is noteworthy.
Find us a quote where a team laments having too much rear downforce, and you may then use words like 'resorting'.