Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Has it been accepted the the channel after the exhaust outlet meets the rules? Was there a rule specifying a 10-15 deg cone that started at the outlet that the body work could not encroach into.

Brian

Gridlock

hardingfv32 wrote:Has it been accepted the the channel after the exhaust outlet meets the rules? Was there a rule specifying a 10-15 deg cone that started at the outlet that the body work could not encroach into.

Brian

Yes, many times. A 15 degree come is nothing at these sort of lengths. The rule about it being visible is the more applicable one, and that seems fine too (viewed from above).

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

1) Has anyone ever seem data on what the flow out an exhaust might look like? Some thing about how the exhaust flow expands as it cools.

2) The teams developed these new exhaust rules. It would be logical to think that they know what the exhaust flow cone looks like and that the rules prevent any manipulation of this flow.

Brian

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ringo wrote:I don't know how a conclusion was reached about the exhaust just because the flow vis seems greener in one area.
The same shade of green is on the front push rod and on the gearbox.

From observation, no conclusion can be drawn from this image.

CFD is the best attempt to get an idea of what the exhaust cut outs are meant to do.
It's true that deposits of flo-vis don't always show low/high pressure areas because it all depends where you put it to begin with. But that shape in front of the rear tyre looks awfully like an exhaust plume. Not that it gives any indication of how strong the flow it of course.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

aral
aral

hardingfv32 wrote: Some thing about how the exhaust flow expands as it cools.

Brian
Hot air expands, so cooling exhaust would actually contract. One of the principles of jet propulsion.

raymondu999

Maybe he's talking about how the plume is going out in a cone shape, "expanding" in that way rather than expansion due to temperature change?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

Owen.C93 wrote:
ringo wrote:I don't know how a conclusion was reached about the exhaust just because the flow vis seems greener in one area.

CFD is the best attempt to get an idea of what the exhaust cut outs are meant to do.
It's true that deposits of flo-vis don't always show low/high pressure areas because it all depends where you put it to begin with. But that shape in front of the rear tyre looks awfully like an exhaust plume. Not that it gives any indication of how strong the flow it of course.
the rubber clag off the tyres layered onto the floor could inhibit the flow vis movement. The flow vis will find it harder to move on the floor with all that rubber, so i suspect it will back up as the air pushes it.
This is a possible explanation.
For Sure!!

Pup
Pup

We're discussing. I havent seen anyone concluding just yet. Feel free to post your CFD data though. :wink: :P
Last edited by Pup on 19 Feb 2012, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

raymondu999 wrote:Maybe he's talking about how the plume is going out in a cone shape, "expanding" in that way rather than expansion due to temperature change?
Yeah, the outline of the flow seems to make a nice parabola. One explanation would be that we're not seeing the shape of a true exhaust plume, but rather what would be happening as the plume hits the floor, and I'd think we'd see an expansion there despite the cooling gasses.

Another explanation is that if what we're seeing is cooked paint, then the paint wouldn't necessarily outline the exhaust itself, but the heated air around it, hence an expanding shape.

Pup
Pup

Shrieker wrote:I heard some people here saying the exhaust plumes travel as fast as 600-700 km/h at the pipe's exit. Surely, bending that flow some 30-35 degrees in such a short distance would be a bit more complicated ?
I agree. Seems an awfully dramatic diversion. But see my point below about the air around the exhaust being heated. A rapid expansion of that air could explain it perhaps.

aral
aral

raymondu999 wrote:Maybe he's talking about how the plume is going out in a cone shape, "expanding" in that way rather than expansion due to temperature change?
Possible, but if it is "expanding" in dimensions, it will also be slowing down.

gray41

Could the airflow over the top of the bump that the valley is housed in be somehow forcing the air downwards?

The bump is a very precise shape/size?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

raymondu999

I have a slight issue with this reasoning - albeit not from an aerodynamicist. If the laminar flow (or wherever you got the flow from) was strong enough to deflect the exhaust downwards to that spot; wouldn't it have been better to just let the flow go there by itself rather than losing some momentum by having to face a 10 degree upward stream in the first place?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pup
Pup

The exhaust will want to follow the shape beneath due to the coanda effect. The higher the pressure above the better I suppose, but the exhaust isn't being deflected by that air much if at all I wouldn't think. Think of it as a pipe that bends down, only the top half of the pipe is missing yet the airflow still acts for the most part as if it were there.

gray41

Surely there will be a sweet spot angle, for all we know they could have tried multiple angles inside the valley at Jerez.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***