Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

strad wrote:Really??
Sho'nuff, man.

AdamCarpenter
AdamCarpenter

hardingfv32 wrote:
I assume our goal to downward exhaust flow. This flow also has a boundary layer and unknown flow quality coming around the side pod. A best you have 3-5 inches after the exhaust pipe opining to force the exhaust downward onto the channel floor. You are trying to push down a high velocity exhaust flow, at its highest levels, with an ambient air flow of questionable quality and strength. It is not going to happen.
hardingfv32 wrote:
Now as you state, the exhaust plume expands and follows the contour of the channel. No need for the Coanda Effect. Now is the Coanda Effect going to augment this flow once it gets to the bottom of the channel, not clear. I would claim that the 'center axis of the exhaust flow' has not been bent in this situation.

Brian
Contradiction here. First, your line of reasoning is that the exhaust plume can't be pushed down to the floor of the channel, then you say that it will expand to follow the contour of the channel. Which is it?
hardingfv32 wrote:
Why do we not mention Coanda Effect when discussing the flow around the side pod?
Maybe because every team's sidepods will make some use of Coanda effect to keep flow attached around curved sections... Whereas McLaren are the only team to have an extended channel protruding past their exhaust exit, which looks like it makes clever use of the Coanda effect in a possible attempt to seal their diffuser. No need to talk about it regarding sidepods because it's common knowledge that Coanda effect (among other things i'm sure) helps teams to keep air flow attached around the sidepods.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

And what is the effect of the reduced velocity and pressure drop? The exhaust is at a high velocity and greater pressure level than the ambient surrounding flow, no need for expansion as it clears the exhaust outlet?

Brian

Pup
Pup

higher velocity = lower pressure

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Pup wrote:higher velocity = lower pressure
Forced exhaust gas will be high pressure though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

AdamCarpenter wrote: You are trying to push down a high velocity exhaust flow
No contradiction, 'you' is the party I am speaking to.

If you are having a hard time understanding my statements feel free to ask me for a restatement. I will try and make them simpler for you.
Maybe because every team's sidepods will make some use of Coanda effect to keep flow attached around curved sections...
Is this a common talking point in aero literature. Can you state a reference?

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32 on 22 Feb 2012, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

And in the case of exhaust flow, progressively slowing (lower) velocity means higher pressure and expansion?

I just finished a new intake scoop/plenum based on the principal. A couple weeks work, hope you do not prove me wrong.

And you said you did not 'need' to prove me wrong....

Brian

strad

Pup...Just showing that all research I find shows the exhaust expanding. :wink:
I'm trying to picture the exhaust flow on a typical Comp class dragsters exhaust header...
Last edited by strad on 22 Feb 2012, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

AdamCarpenter
AdamCarpenter

harding, read the two statements of yours that I quoted in my last post. First you say that The exhaust plume isn't going to reach the bottom of the channel, then you say that it will expand to reach the bottom of the channel.

Google defines contradiction as:

1. A combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.
2. A person, thing, or situation in which inconsistent elements are present.

Both versions of its definition apply to your two statements.
hardingfv32 wrote:
Is this a common talking point in aero literature. Can you state a reference?
No, I can't... That's my point... It ISN'T talked about because it isn't new or exciting with regards to a car's sidepods. Go back and re-read what Coanda effect is, then think about what will happen as air hits the curved outside edge of a sidepod.

Pup
Pup

strad wrote:Pup...Just showing that all research I find shows the exhaust expanding. :wink:
Like I said, it can expand but I don't think it does. What you've shown is what I said about rockets - they shape the bell for a particular ambient pressure and that's why when you look at the plume at liftoff it's nice and narrow but when it's way up in the atmosphere it looks like they've kicked on the afterburners. And that's rockets, not V8's, so...

So, could the exhaust expand? Yeah, like I said, maybe, but I don't think so, depends. :wink:
Last edited by Pup on 22 Feb 2012, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

hardingfv32 wrote:
And in the case of exhaust flow, progressively slowing (lower) velocity means higher pressure and expansion?

I just finished a new intake scoop/plenum based on the principal. A couple weeks work, hope you do not prove me wrong.

And you said you did not 'need' to prove me wrong....

Brian
Consider why it's slowing – because it's losing energy, this should give you a hint about whether it's expanding or contracting.

Pup
Pup

Yes and there's also the external pressure bit of the equation; i.e., rising exhaust pressure = progressively reduced rate of contraction.

simieski
simieski

Owen.C93 wrote:
Forced exhaust gas will be high pressure though.
Maybe time for coanda, flow, pressure and other exhaust related air bending tomfoolery thread split? :roll:

With ref to the above quote, I wouldn't imagine the exhaust gas would maintain high pressure for long, I thought pressure only really exists when there is something to oppose flow, once the exhaust gas is out of the pipe and into free air i dont see how it would stay at a high pressure?
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

PlatinumZealot

Yes that anaconda effect is quite handy around curved surfaces.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

AdamCarpenter wrote:No, I can't... That's my point... It ISN'T talked about because it isn't new or exciting with regards to a car's sidepods.
I know what it is. It is how it is implemented that we need more 'detailed' knowledge of to know if it applies here. I brought up the side-pod example because it would seem relevant, yet you do not see it brought up in the aero literature. There is a reason we are overlooking.

I am up for learning something new today.

Brian