Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hakan439
hakan439

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

has Mclaren ever come up with a whole new front wing design other then the current one?

I guess, this has been with us since the last few races of MP4-25????

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

hakan439 wrote:has Mclaren ever come up with a whole new front wing design other then the current one?

Well if it aint broke don't fix it haha.

JMN
JMN

Speaking of front wings, what would presumably be done to front wings with the 2012 Pirellis offering increased mechanical grip in the front and the changes to the exhaust regulations shifting downforce distribution forwards?
I'd imagine the snappier front end would cause the rear wheels to get cooked faster if nothing was done to counteract.

PhillipM
PhillipM

hardingfv32 wrote: The rules clearly call for a 5K rpm idle limit, so that sets how much the throttle can be open at the fully lifted pedal position.

Brian
Not really, just set your idle map so it retards the timing way back, richens the mixture right up (fuel consumption isn't a worry at idle!), and then the engine is making far less power and you can wind the throttle plate open further to get bring the idle back up. Hell, you could probably survive a few cylinders 'accidentally' fouling a few plugs and misfiring....

As a nice bonus, if it drops into those settings on the overrun, hot blowing!

hakan439
hakan439

ajdavison2 wrote:
hakan439 wrote:has Mclaren ever come up with a whole new front wing design other then the current one?

Sound good to me. But when I see the RB, Lotus or even the Merc front wings from above, Mclaren wing seem simple and not as huge as theirs. Specially RB seems to have a large area which might be the answer to flexi wings...

I just guessing by the way...

Richard
Richard

Exhaust blowing discussions have been moved to their own little debating wonderland.
:arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12046

Discussing the Renault and Ferrari engines in the MP4-27 thread? #-o

Please do a double check before you post. Do not post in this thread if your comment isn't about the car in this picture, simples!

ernest
ernest

Hallelujah! =D>

ernest
ernest

Looking at the shrouding around the exhausts and the slight inward camber of the sidepod tops, I think Mclaren are actually continuing and refining the principles of the U sidepods and chin 'spoiler' from last season. Leaving aside the hot / cold blowing debate I think one of the primary purposes of the bulges are to maintain the quality of the airflow around the base of the side pods from the splitter without downwash from the exhaust, while energising and separating / directing the flow over the upper surface of the side pods to the beam wing. I think this is why Mclaren has continued to follow its own path on the area under the nose. It will be interesting to see wether the top panels of the side pods / engine cover remain in this iteration, as I feel there may be some room in there to reshape their profile and refine the guiding of the air in this area in a manner similar to but less extreme than last years U pods and this years Ferrari.

Coefficient
Coefficient

JMN wrote:Speaking of front wings, what would presumably be done to front wings with the 2012 Pirellis offering increased mechanical grip in the front and the changes to the exhaust regulations shifting downforce distribution forwards?
I'd imagine the snappier front end would cause the rear wheels to get cooked faster if nothing was done to counteract.

The new Pirellis offer better rear grip.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

raymondu999

Somewhat related. Some of it, anyways.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VTHeaLvljU[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

horse

ernest wrote:It will be interesting to see wether the top panels of the side pods / engine cover remain in this iteration, as I feel there may be some room in there to reshape their profile and refine the guiding of the air in this area in a manner similar to but less extreme than last years U pods and this years Ferrari.
I would agree that this seems the most likely place for there to be changes. I'm not sure it's the level of changes that Button was referring to, but perhaps.

I think they will find a neater solution to the cut outs that are atop the exhausts at the moment, at the very least, but perhaps they have now made a choice on preferred exhaust layout and are adapting the rear bodywork to suit. Who knows? I guess we'll see in Melbourne.

I really don't think they would change the nose though, that would just seem desperate, and I don't think they are desperate.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Seems pretty "rakey"

Here's an overhead view with some interesting changes to the floor, one side has a brownish floor like when they had that fantail attached to the 26, while the ther side is normal with some silver something on it. Trying to find more pics.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Chalke
Chalke

'Marble' collectors? :)

tjaeger
tjaeger

hakan439 wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:

Sound good to me. But when I see the RB, Lotus or even the Merc front wings from above, Mclaren wing seem simple and not as huge as theirs. Specially RB seems to have a large area which might be the answer to flexi wings...

I just guessing by the way...

Think you cannot compare them to the others. McLaren entire aero concept is different, given their low front nose. Hence the FW will be different to compliment that design. Just thinking, could be wrong.
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Side pod around the exhaust channel as viewed in the above photo:

Why not a more sleek shrouding shape on the surface that faces outward in a side view? It is very round. Are they trying for some interaction with the top opening of the exhaust channel?

Brian