Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
murtoidf1
murtoidf1

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

It seems unusual for McLaren and Red Bull to have so little upgrades in the second test.

Could this be because teams are trying to keep their killer ideas under wraps til the latest possible time?

raymondu999

Or teams are starting to struggle to find where to optimise the cars because they're so optimised for the current regs already
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

McLaren already stated that first updates would be for third test during the presentation at the car unveiling. Everything is on schedule. McLaren looking great!

Pup
Pup

I'm surprised, though, that they didn't test some alternates. Especially the exhaust. Maybe they started with their most extreme solution, and since it worked they didn't feel a need to test the others?

Richard
Richard

There will have been a lot of tweaking and testing of various parts under the bodywork.

I am surprised we haven't seen several exhaust variations. However, they can be copied very easily so perhaps all the teams are waiting until the final test days before they reveal any variants? Just the RB6 or 7 when the exhaust exit jumped from top of pod to bottom at the last test?

Mr.S
Mr.S

Whitemarsh sounds confident,he says Mclaren is as good if not stronger than Red Bull in fast corners. Maybe their have improved on their rear grip & worked on the setup.

aral
aral

Mr.S wrote:Whitemarsh sounds confident,he says Mclaren is as good if not stronger than Red Bull in fast corners. Maybe their have improved on their rear grip & worked on the setup.
Not much point being faster in the corners, if you are slower on a full lap.

beelsebob
beelsebob

gilgen wrote:
Mr.S wrote:Whitemarsh sounds confident,he says Mclaren is as good if not stronger than Red Bull in fast corners. Maybe their have improved on their rear grip & worked on the setup.
Sure, but if they've maintained their traditional strengths of grip out of slow corners, and straight line speed, there's not a lot more than they need to get right.

ianwit
ianwit

Owen.C93 wrote:Seems pretty "rakey"
Good pic of the rake on Pitpass, copyright Joanne Burnett.

Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Nice find...any idea what caused Button to stop on track? :?

scarlet
scarlet

Out of fuel?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Looks like they have the cooling ducts near the headrests there again. I think they also tried a bigger outlet from the engine cover just to test the high cooling spec.

I haven't seen the slots ontop of the sidepod openings yet though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

What about rifling in the exhaust tailpipes to "spin" the exhaust in a certain direction? I've read the Regs & see nothing specific saying you cannot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling

Gridlock

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:What about rifling in the exhaust tailpipes to "spin" the exhaust in a certain direction? I've read the Regs & see nothing specific saying you cannot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling
The exhaust is already pretty contorted, I would have thought the loss of power due to restricting the exhaust further would be an overall negative.

Mr.S
Mr.S

beelsebob wrote:
gilgen wrote:
Sure, but if they've maintained their traditional strengths of grip out of slow corners, and straight line speed, there's not a lot more than they need to get right.
Straightline speed has not been Mclaren's strongest point last season & looking at their rear wing,the trend is set to continue. Anyways Mclaren are quite good in slow speed corners.

I am still not buying that they are quicker or as good as RBR in Fast Corners. The lap times were far off but that could be due to a load of other factors. But it still is unlikely unless Australia shows it.