Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

What are these bits circled ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pup
Pup

It's a vent, though I don't know what for. Some have said it's cockpit cooling.

They were there all last year, but I think this is the first photo on which they've shown up this year. I think the Merc has the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:What about rifling in the exhaust tailpipes to "spin" the exhaust in a certain direction? I've read the Regs & see nothing specific saying you cannot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling
Gonna need more than rifling to spin the air coming out of a 3" pipe. You see the rifling in guns look like they spin the bullet by touching it in flight. To spin a body of air, you will need some turning vanes...

Maybe take one row of this..but a bit less aggressive an angle.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ianwit
ianwit

scarlet wrote:Out of fuel?
Last minute of the last day at Barca is a thoughtful time to do an empty tank test, which I suspect it was.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

shelly
shelly

to add spin to the exhausts you ould mix them with flow form radiators making the lattere join in transverse direction. From the test pictures it seems mclaren are doing somthing like that on the 4-27
twitter: @armchair_aero

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Found this picture of McLaren with sensors on FW. Right click>view image

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Found this picture of McLaren with sensors on FW. Right click>view image

[img]http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/3291 ... o1.jpg[img]
This has been discussed before - ATM_andy informed us that it's to measure ride height and slip angle. In other photos you can see a cable going across the nose.
Last edited by Richard on 29 Feb 2012, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Mp4-27 exhaust solution analysis

The first picture shows the new McLaren from above. In the blue circle it is easy to see the exhaust ‘bulge’ and exit channel. The fact it protrudes from the sidepod is the first clue that McLaren is trying to do something clever with the exhaust flow.

There has been a lot of speculation about exactly how the device works but it is likely to exploit the Coanda effect to seal the diffuser.

The Coanda effect is when fluid is guided by a nearby curved surface to modify its direction. As the surface curves away from the flow it creates lower pressure close to the surface. This pulls the fluid towards the surface.

Interesting article via F1 Fanatic. Here is the Link

Richard
Richard

General chat about McLaren moved to a team thread

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12100

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

F1 Fanatic is not one of the best websites, i agree. I don't go on it at all.

Anyway, what are people expecting McLaren to come out with for the next test? Perhaps a refined exhaust layout?

beelsebob
beelsebob

murtoidf1 wrote:F1 Fanatic is not one of the best websites, i agree. I don't go on it at all.

Anyway, what are people expecting McLaren to come out with for the next test? Perhaps a refined exhaust layout?
The pre-season rumors were that they had a "revolutionary rear wing" that would be introduced at the final test or first race.

SiLo

Revolutionary? There isn't too much they can do with rear wings, unless they have a very strange chord shape and flap arrangement. Can't wait to see if this rumour is true though.
Felipe Baby!

beelsebob
beelsebob

SiLo wrote:Revolutionary? There isn't too much they can do with rear wings, unless they have a very strange chord shape and flap arrangement. Can't wait to see if this rumour is true though.
That was my thought too, we'll see soon I guess :)

Shrieker

Could you place the DRS flap under the main plane, or am I spouting utter rubbish yet again :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ianwit
ianwit

Shrieker wrote:Could you place the DRS flap under the main plane, or am I spouting utter rubbish yet again :)
I don't think there would be much point to that as it is effectively an extension of the main plane. As another non expert the way I see it is that when it flips up it becomes aero neutral and at the same time reduces the chord of the main plane and therefore the drag.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.