Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atanatizante

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Pup wrote:I guess the problem is that the tail end of the upper element is probably already at the upper and rearward limit of the regs ...
It make sense to move this upper element forward and above the main element?
How far could you move it?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Shrieker

I posted this on the RB8 thread when they reverted back to testing the central pillar sollution for flap actuation, but it got completely neglected. Maybe rightfully so, given my technical prowess (or lack thereof :mrgreen: )
Shrieker wrote:Why would Red Bull go back to central pillar for flap actuation after all the effort? I was thinking the other day if you apply enough force, you can twist/bend the entire rear wing assembly. That surely could bring a substantial gain when the DRS is activated.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Nickel
Nickel

I thought the point of bending body work was to get it closer to the ground for ground effect. What would be the benefit of bending the rear wing? Changing AoA?

Shrieker

Yeah, why not ? Isn't that what the flexi rear wings were aiming for after all ? Theoretically, "the thing" at the top of the central pillar is a winch that applies force to the flap to pull it upwards; a winch with a fulcrum point at the bottom of the pillar where it meets the beam wing :idea:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Nickel
Nickel

Shrieker wrote:Yeah, why not ? Isn't that what the flexi rear wings were aiming for after all ? Theoretically, "the thing" at the top of the central pillar is a winch that applies force to the flap to pull it upwards; a winch with a fulcrum point at the bottom of the pillar where it meets the beam wing :idea:
Having some trouble following your train of thought. Are you implying the force from the drs actuator acts in a downward direction on the beam wing, essentially increasing the AoA of the beam wing? would this not be in opposition to what is desired upon activating the drs? Maybe I'm reading your idea wrong...

Separate subject: Would the coanda effect in the exhaust channel actually create lift as far as the chassis is concerned?

Shrieker

Take a rod, push the DRS flap upwards from under, when it's(the flap's) range of motion is over the force you'll be applying will start flexing the entire rear wing assembly - provided it's been designed and manufactured with that in mind.
-Atatürk

Nickel
Nickel

I understand now, very interesting idea indeed!

scarlet
scarlet

http://xpb.cc/viewpicture.asp?id=473430

Nothing obvious from that angle, although it may not be on the car yet.

scarlet
scarlet

New pitstop light system looks interesting: http://xpb.cc/viewpicture.asp?id=473490

I'm guessing: Each corner of the car has its own set of red and green lights. From the top, front jack, front wheels, rear wheels, rear jack. Bottom set turns from red to green when everything is done.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

scarlet wrote:New pitstop light system looks interesting: http://xpb.cc/viewpicture.asp?id=473490

I'm guessing: Each corner of the car has its own set of red and green lights. From the top, front jack, front wheels, rear wheels, rear jack. Bottom set turns from red to green when everything is done.
So how do you think that traffic in the pitlane is coped with...no lollipop man to judge if it's safe to release the car?
Please Lewis, no more crashes. #-o

EDIT: Actually looks like a lollipop man had a remote switch upper-right hand man in the pic. http://xpb.cc/viewpicture.asp?id=473499
Last edited by KeiKo403 on 01 Mar 2012, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

scarlet
scarlet

KeiKo403 wrote:
scarlet wrote:New pitstop light system looks interesting: http://xpb.cc/viewpicture.asp?id=473490

So how do you think that traffic in the pitlane is coped with...no lollipop man to judge if it's safe to release the car?
Please Lewis, no more crashes. #-o
It would make sense to have a spotter on the other side of the lane with a button tied into the system. He'd press it when there was traffic coming and it would overrive the green light at the bottom.

Richard
Richard

Probably use a fail safe system, the spotter has to press the button to trigger a green light. If he does nothing then it stays red.

Princey

Yes definitely agree, fail safe.. It would be a press to go opposed to a press to stop.
Don't Kanye me. Or I'll Chris Brown you and Tiger Woods your mother.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

I don't get why it has to be so complicated though. Ferrari use a red light (brakes on) and a green light for go.
Just keep it simple McLaren!

scarlet
scarlet

It'll allow the drivers to anticipate the green light better I guess.