Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Would it be McLaren without it being analy complicated.

Personally id like to see pit stops with less people at each corner and the car not being realeased without DTM Style Hub Torque Sensors that make sure the wheels are correctly attached to the right amount.

ianwit
ianwit

The driver only sees stop or go. They've had plenty of time to sus out the best system as they are the last 'big' team to adopt such a system

Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

ianwit
ianwit

Trolleys have a light trigger too!!

Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Wouldn't suprise me if they have new wheel guns also with a button of some sort to indicate each wheel being done.

ANyways, back to car. Back of the car infact....anymore news on this revolunionary rear wing?

Chalke
Chalke

All the precision, complication, hours of thought and engineering of that system... but it's still stuck to the jack with good old gaffer tape!

blokkie
blokkie

KeiKo403 wrote:Wouldn't suprise me if they have new wheel guns also with a button of some sort to indicate each wheel being done.
Looking at the Trolleys pic from ianwit I see 4 lights aranged like this :

O O
O O

And on the picture only the below 2 are red.
Could this mean a light per wheel ?

If correct , that would mean the 2 rear wheels are OK , and the 2 front's are detached.

Maybe this is a result of Jenson's incident last year when he left the PIT with a wheel loose.

Doesn't look to complicated to me :)

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:Probably use a fail safe system, the spotter has to press the button to trigger a green light. If he does nothing then it stays red.
At a guess, not a fail safe, but trying to take the job of watching who's completed their job out of his hands:
Each person pushes a button when they're done, and automates when the car is ready to go. The lolipop man simply watches when the pitlane is clear, and ignores what's going on on the car. When everyone's done, and he's holding the pitlane clear button, it releases the car.

That'd be my guess at least.

Forza

I've seen explanation of their new pit stop light system on this site http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/ ... um=twitter
Last edited by Forza on 01 Mar 2012, 15:00, edited 2 times in total.

Princey

Chalke wrote:All the precision, complication, hours of thought and engineering of that system... but it's still stuck to the jack with good old gaffer tape!
Haha the least they could have done was cut the tape with scissors!
Don't Kanye me. Or I'll Chris Brown you and Tiger Woods your mother.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

ESPN F1 website wrote:Button set his best time on hard tyres having previously been quickest on softs. His headline lap of 1:23.510 came during just 27 laps of running as McLaren worked with what Martin Whitmarsh called a "fairly substantial" update on the MP4-27.
So maybe there are some upgrades on the car today. Haven't spotted any though.

Pup
Pup

Metal diffuser?

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Just a reflection, you can see the floor next to the sidepod is the same colour.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ianwit wrote:Trolleys have a light trigger too!!
Presmuably linked to the two rear wheel guns so that the trolley jack man can just watch his lights and drop the jack when he gets two green lights in front of him.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mr.G

Trocola wrote:I don't think they are doing a race simulation today. Button managed only 56 laps today. The GP is 66.

Trocola
Maybe they want but not achieve.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

mclaren777

If my theory is correct, Mclaren better train its pit crews really well.

I'm guessing that the "red" gun is connected to the new light system and it uses a pressure-sensitive grip to trigger the red/green light for that corner of the car.