Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
thisisatest
thisisatest

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

ianwit wrote:Trolleys have a light trigger too!!

[img]http://f1zoom.co.cc/?year=2012&race=cat ... full=1[img]
that jack is CRAZY
titanium, carbon tubes, linear bearing controlling something. the duct tape is probably some NASA certified, vectran fiber unobtanium :D
Last edited by Richard on 02 Mar 2012, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

mclaren777 wrote:If my theory is correct, Mclaren better train its pit crews really well.

I'm guessing that the "red" gun is connected to the new light system and it uses a pressure-sensitive grip to trigger the red/green light for that corner of the car.
That'll be a disaster the first time they cross-thread a nut!!

Pup
Pup

It looks like there's a button on the gun, rather than it being automatic. So I suspect the opposite disaster will occur, when a wheelman forgets to hit the button and everyone is sitting there wondering why the light's still red.

bhall
bhall

It made a lot of sense when Ferrari started this whole thing back when refueling was allowed. (It also made sense that they couldn't get it quite right.)

And I still understand the logic behind all of these pitstop electronics, but me thinks this is going a bit overboard.

aleks_ader

Pup wrote:It looks like there's a button on the gun, rather than it being automatic. So I suspect the opposite disaster will occur, when a wheelman forgets to hit the button and everyone is sitting there wondering why the light's still red.
That will be a FAIL.. But that will dont apear, beacuse that system must be tested (for that test are for) and refined...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

strad

That's why I've said for twenty years that they should run a Higbee thread..
Can't cross-thread
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

strad wrote:
That's why I've said for twenty years that they should run a Higbee thread..
Can't cross-thread
Hmmm - taking it even further - you wonder why they don't use something like a hydraulic circuit quick coupling.

No need for the gun at all.

strad

WHAT???
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

All you need is some pressure coming from the stub side (for my example - hydraulic fluid), then the only way to release is through pressure coming from the outside.

Car comes in, mechanic dinks the coupling off with his hand, wheel comes off the shalf - new wheel on and then smack the coupling back on.

I take it you've seen a hydraulic quick coupling?

hollus

Nickel wrote: Separate subject: Would the coanda effect in the exhaust channel actually create lift as far as the chassis is concerned?
Yes. The low pressure area in N smikle's pics in the exhaust blowing thread proves as much. Alternative view: the chassis is deflecting air down, hence it must be pushed up itself.
But since it is directing the exhaust to the floor, there the gas will be pushed up again to follow the floor and the car will be pushed down again (high pressure in N smikle's post). The two effects roughly cancel each other, you start with exhaust gas traveling slightly up and end up with the same gas traveling up at the diffuser's edge.
Rivals, not enemies.

bhall
bhall

kilcoo316 wrote:I take it you've seen a hydraulic quick coupling?
I've not (that I'm aware of). Please educate me.

aleks_ader

bhallg2k wrote:
THat will be interesting, but if you look otherwise.. part of f1 show will be finnaly lost... there will be no human error... we will never see sometimes crazy and at same time hilarious pit stop crashes... :(
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

bhallg2k wrote:
Or maybe do you think hidraulic quick jacks?? like DTM

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

bhallg2k wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6w3iJjVRH4

Pretty much what I'm talking about - not exact, but very close. The ones I'm talking about are not prised off, but pushing in the outside sleeve releases the back-pressure allowing the coupling to come off.

bhall
bhall

And that would work at the size and strength required for F1-level demands?