Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
simieski
simieski

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Pretty much what I'm talking about - not exact, but very close. The ones I'm talking about are not prised off, but pushing in the outside sleeve releases the back-pressure allowing the coupling to come off.
I don't quite follow how this would provide as much clamping force as a thread?
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

bhallg2k wrote:And that would work at the size and strength required for F1-level demands?
Well, the same things are used on the back of tractors for agricultural implements. There could be up to a tonne of force acting on the coupling.

Maybe not quite enough for F1 now that I put some numbers to it - but that is just a standard coupling, I'm sure there are "beefier".

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

simieski wrote:I don't quite follow how this would provide as much clamping force as a thread?
Does it need to?

I suppose that is the question - I'm sure the teams have considered it... its too obvious not to. Maybe the safety aspect (release pin) of it means the quick coupling is a no-goer.

PhillipM
PhillipM

kilcoo316 wrote: Does it need to?
Yes, unless you intend the mechanic to exert 10 tons of force fitting the wheel on with a press-fit spigot....

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

PhillipM wrote:Yes, unless you intend the mechanic to exert 10 tons of force fitting the wheel on with a press-fit spigot....
So the typical load through the thread is of the order of 10 tons?

ianwit
ianwit

Assume 5g lateral is pulled on the wheel axis on a corner the wheel nut has to cope with 5x the weight of the car. I can't see how any F1 team has failed to look at a quick release system, threads rule :)
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

bhall
bhall

kilcoo316 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:Yes, unless you intend the mechanic to exert 10 tons of force fitting the wheel on with a press-fit spigot....
So the typical load through the thread is of the order of 10 tons?
I don't think that's what he means. There's an airgun for conventional threaded nuts; physical strength is not a factor when using them.

Is there similar tool for a hydraulic coupling beyond the lever seen in the video?

Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot

Isn't this just a weight thing? Doesn't a simple nut and thread just give you much less unsprung weight than a hydraulic system?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

McLarens downwashed exhaust appears to still overheat the inner edge of the rear tyre, its looks shrivelled & flies off

via ScarbsF1

Nickel
Nickel

hollus wrote:
Nickel wrote: Separate subject: Would the coanda effect in the exhaust channel actually create lift as far as the chassis is concerned?
Yes. The low pressure area in N smikle's pics in the exhaust blowing thread proves as much...But since it is directing the exhaust to the floor, there the gas will be pushed up again to follow the floor and the car will be pushed down again ... The two effects roughly cancel each other...

Based on this it will be very interesting to see if McLaren stick with this solution. Ferrari seem to already be evaluating a redbull style alternative in opposition to their (similar but different) attempt to blow the diffuser. It just seems to me that there is a very large expenditure of energy doing incidental things before the gases get to the point where they're doing what is desired.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Surprised if it is overheating the tyre, they survived being blasted by the exhausts much closer to the shoulder last year with no trouble at higher temperatures, I know the tyre construction has changed slightly but that looks more like orange peel if anything (usually caused by pushing too hard on a cold section of the tread)

strad

And I dont see where it would be faster than a 20,000 rpm impact gun
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Well at least part of the floor is getting its armor plating...

[img]http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... 75.jpg[img]

Looks like galvanized steel. I wonder if the Red Bull garage is missing some ductwork. :lol:
Last edited by Richard on 02 Mar 2012, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

Pup
Pup

Tire wear on the rears is looking really nice and even, yes?

Forza

I've noticed how they fix sensors with black tape all over the rear end.

For tyre wear it depends which picture you are looking at. I think that in this picture it could also be concequence of degradation because of track contitions.

Last edited by Forza on 02 Mar 2012, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.