Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

sides of that FW look very complex....could be nice to get a front view.

gray41

Nothing new on the front wing.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Coefficient
Coefficient

gray41 wrote:Nothing new on the front wing.

I think there are some new carbon elements on top of the flaps and the upper forward element now appears to have slots cut in it similar to what we see on the rear wing end plates.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Blackout

Are the multiple openings on the brake fairings I posted above new ? (I didnt folow last years las updates)
And what's their aim ? heat up the rims ?

ell66
ell66

Coefficient wrote:

I think there are some new carbon elements on top of the flaps and the upper forward element now appears to have slots cut in it similar to what we see on the rear wing end plates.
naa they've always been there, the angle of the pic just makes them seem different.
The supposed new wings should be in action for the next two days.

Pierce89

KeiKo403 wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:Also with the threaded nut you can torque it up that means you'll effectivly lock the wheel into position onto the hub. I guess if you use a push fit coupling device then when the brakes are applied what makes the wheel actually stop spinning and the same under acceleration?

EDIT: :idea: However this is only an issue with a 'round peg in a round hole' If the end of the hub is square or even octaganle and the hole in the centre of the wheel is the same shape then maybe we could be onto something here.
The more i think about this the retaining device could be built into the wheels some how so that pit crews push the wheel on and it is locked into place straight away....Don't know, we could be flogging a dead horse here, so to speak!
Actually, bear with me hear....lets stick to the round peg and round hole scenario. Could there be some kind of electromagnetic coupling between the hub and the wheel?
The wheel and hub already have "drive pegs". Hub mounted teeth that go into holes in the wheel. This way the pegs transmit torque while the wheel nut only hold tyhe wheel on the pegs
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Coefficient
Coefficient

ell66 wrote:
Coefficient wrote:

naa they've always been there, the angle of the pic just makes them seem different.
The supposed new wings should be in action for the next two days.
I think you're wrong, the end plate is different too!! Compare with this pic from test day 8.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... c_2012.jpg
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Pup
Pup

Looks exactly the same to me.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Any word yet on Tomba's story on the MP4-27

I understand the channelled exhaust is wreaking havoc on the floor. Causing big problems for macca apparently.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Javert

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Any word yet on Tomba's story on the MP4-27

I understand the channelled exhaust is wreaking havoc on the floor. Causing big problems for macca apparently.
Last year exhausts were ON the floor. Don't understand why these should be so a damage for Macca's floor :mrgreen:

bgroovers
bgroovers

Javert wrote:

Last year exhausts were ON the floor. Don't understand why these should be so a damage for Macca's floor :mrgreen:
Ted Kravitz reported an hour or so ago on Sky f1 page:

“There’s slow but steady work going on at McLaren as they continue to add to the chassis piece by piece. My recent trip down to the pit lane included the familiar sound of the ‘dentist’s drill’ as again the mechanics had the MP4-27 up on its stands and were grinding away bits of the bodywork. It appeared to be the floor section around the rear tyres and I’ve noticed this area has come in for some modification since the last test. This is because it’s in the exhaust flow from McLaren’s channelled exhausts and has been liable to overheating.

“Something I noticed at a previous test was that the exhaust may have also been overheating the tyre. When either McLaren driver came back from a run, there would be a small mound of molten tyre marbles on the floor just in front of the rear tyres. That’s not happening anymore."

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That's not wreaking havoc it's just a bit annoying. I've seen some new parts around the floor which look metallic but the F1 site is being a pain for high res images this year.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Pup
Pup

ZE FLOOR IZ DIZINTERGRATING!!!!

I think people are eager to find something wrong. Scarbs started that rumor yesterday I think, but in every picture of the rear tires I've seen they look fantastic. There was tire debris on the floor in the first test, less in the second, and I haven't seen any in this one.

So, for me, I'd need some evidence before I ignore all the previous reliability and suddenly declare that the car is doomed.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Now these are some interesting pictures ;D

Right click, view etc.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Why so? It's a good picture, but interesting?