Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Looks like the whole sidepod has been slightly reprofiled along with the exhaust...

We need a plan-view shot, but it looks to me like they've just smoothed out the transition from sidepod to wart.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Oooh that's new.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Pup
Pup

Looks more like a tumor now than a wart. :?

I'm guessing that the nose change is to address the drivers' initial comments from the first test that they needed to unload some of the downforce off the front and shift it to the rear. Losing the snowplow I'm guessing would do just that.

Pup
Pup

Yep, it looks like the exhaust is far more integrated to the bodywork now...

She's a beauty.

mozza_84
mozza_84

Pup wrote:Looks like the whole sidepod has been slightly reprofiled along with the exhaust...

We need a plan-view shot, but it looks to me like they've just smoothed out the transition from sidepod to wart.
so there is definate updates on this looks like they have moved the exhaust closer to the wheel as well as intergrating it into the body work wonder wether there is aero benifits to this as well

Pup
Pup

I'm sure it does, but I think it's more a matter of converting a test piece. I'd bet that they did interchange exhaust exits, playing around with subtle changes to the exhaust angles which we just couldn't see. Then once they got it tuned, they went to press, as it were.

I suspect that the main performance change today came from the front end - sending more air around to the diffuser and shifting the balance to the rear.

ell66
ell66

Pup wrote:I'm sure it does, but I think it's more a matter of converting a test piece. I'd bet that they did interchange exhaust exits, playing around with subtle changes to the exhaust angles which we just couldn't see. Then once they got it tuned, they went to press, as it were.

I suspect that the main performance change today came from the front end - sending more air around to the diffuser and shifting the balance to the rear.
Maybe, this new package round the exhaust is a lot tidier though, look at the side profile angles, also it appears to help keep the already big undercut even more.

mclaren777

Very interesting.

Pup
Pup

Owen.C93 wrote:Oooh that's new.
mclaren777 wrote:Very interesting.
Sorry to single you guys out - no offense meant to either of you. But, typing isn't that difficult, or at least it's far less so than these mini games of 'where's waldo' that you're asking the rest of us to play. :wink:

So...what exactly is interesting, or new?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Pup wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Oooh that's new.
mclaren777 wrote:Very interesting.
Sorry to single you guys out - no offense meant to either of you. But, typing isn't that difficult, or at least it's far less so than the mini games of 'where's waldo' that you're asking the rest of us to play. :wink:

So...what exactly is interesting?
The guy above me pointed out new sidepods and asked for more pictures so that's why I said that. And isn't it obvious the guy above is talking about the mirrors being in the middle of the car inducing asymmetric aero invented by Newey over a decade ago! :P

Pup
Pup

That mirror on the nose is for Hamilton. :P

raymondu999

Mirror on the nose? You mean the pitot tube that is lined up with the mirror stalk because of the camera angle?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

Mclaren probably wished they had a stepped nose now.
clearly the snow plow was more for frontal downforce. The high underside nose designs are more for putting high energy air in the frontal floor area, increasing central downforce.

Mclaren are going the central downforce route now with the removal of the snow plow, but they could have been a little better off with a slightly higher nose; it would not have hurt their chances.
Though they still emphasized there are suspension benefits with an average height tub.
For Sure!!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ringo wrote:Mclaren probably wished they had a stepped nose now.
clearly the snow plow was more for frontal downforce. The high underside nose designs are more for putting high energy air in the frontal floor area, increasing central downforce.

Mclaren are going the central downforce route now with the removal of the snow plow, but they could have been a little better off with a slightly higher nose; it would not have hurt their chances.
Though they still emphasized there are suspension benefits with an average height tub.
They could still lift the nose tip up if they wanted to though. It's not quite the same but will allow for more air underneath.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:McLaren running without snow-plough

look at the difference in the overall height profile of the Macca and the Sauber...there's a clear advantage to centre of gravity and over-all effect on the air it disturbs, also I guess this picture shows what a mammoth job it would be if Mclaren did have to raise its nose