Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
murtoidf1
murtoidf1

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

the EDGE wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:McLaren running without snow-plough

look at the difference in the overall height profile of the Macca and the Sauber...there's a clear advantage to centre of gravity and over-all effect on the air it disturbs, also I guess this picture shows what a mammoth job it would be if Mclaren did have to raise its nose
that corner however has pretty steep banking

Pup
Pup

It would be impossible for them to raise the nose, even if they wanted to. The advantage of the raised nose is in raising the bulkhead, which requires a new tub.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Pup wrote:It would be impossible for them to raise the nose, even if they wanted to. The advantage of the raised nose is in raising the bulkhead, which requires a new tub.
that's my point. I'm pretty sure you can crash test and run a new hub but looking at the height difference it would require a complete re-design of every other part too.

However I didn't realise the track was steeply banked there

saint.666
saint.666

mozza_84 wrote:
Pup wrote:Looks like the whole sidepod has been slightly reprofiled along with the exhaust...

We need a plan-view shot, but it looks to me like they've just smoothed out the transition from sidepod to wart.
so there is definate updates on this looks like they have moved the exhaust closer to the wheel as well as intergrating it into the body work wonder wether there is aero benifits to this as well
If im not mistaken .. it seems that the wing directly under the nose (between nose mounting pillars) has changed from horizontal to vertical :wtf:

Before ...

After ...

wesley123
wesley123

no they removed te snow plough and instead opted for a more common solution. every other team runs bargwboards in that area, McLaren was the only one with a snow plough.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

wesley123 wrote:no they removed te snow plough and instead opted for a more common solution. every other team runs bargwboards in that area, McLaren was the only one with a snow plough.
he's calling the snow plough the wing underneath the nose.

wesley123
wesley123

Yes and i am talking about the snowplough. I dont see what you're trying to explain to me? We're talking about the same thing
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

wesley123 wrote:Yes and i am talking about the snowplough. I dont see what you're trying to explain to me? We're talking about the same thing
Ah i meant saint.666.

Anyway to make this post worthwhile, would it seem that McLaren are now sticking with this exhaust configuration? After all todays update seems more of a refinement then a swap like Red Bulls

cossie
cossie

Pup wrote:It would be impossible for them to raise the nose, even if they wanted to. The advantage of the raised nose is in raising the bulkhead, which requires a new tub.
They got rid of the snowplow thus more air underneath the car, the also went to turning vanes underneath the nose like the rest of the teams do

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

myurr
myurr

Certainly the most beautiful car on the grid this year. There's a certain elegant simplicity to their design choices, where the other cars feature fiddly and ugly solutions.

Mandrake
Mandrake

myurr wrote:Certainly the most beautiful car on the grid this year. There's a certain elegant simplicity to their design choices, where the other cars feature fiddly and ugly solutions.
Taste is different for everyone, but apart from the stepped noses which I don't like at all (as probably everyone here) there are cars that look a lot better, cleaner.

From the nose backwards it's not that elegant with the exhaust wart and the giganto monkey seat. Also, the nose is too wide for my liking, looks like a boxer's nose who had his nose broken one too many times ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Is it me or do the inside of the rear tyres look like they've been getting some heat from the exhausts?

eurocentric
eurocentric

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Is it me or do the inside of the rear tyres look like they've been getting some heat from the exhausts?

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 70.jpg[img]
Very hard to prove form a photo, it could merely be from the camber used and how many laps run rather than heat from the exhausts.

Shakeman

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Is it me or do the inside of the rear tyres look like they've been getting some heat from the exhausts?
Even if the tyres are being heated by the exhausts McLaren don't appear bothered by it. If unwanted heating of the rear tyres was happening McLaren would've addressed that by now.