Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Sigh. If only Goony were around :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pup
Pup

Don't worry, guys - AMuS is reporting today about some reflections on the Red Bull rear wing that they insist is a full blown actual for real f-duct. That should distract the Holists and Double-U true believers from here until Australia starts up.

And I have to admit being a bit surprised and disappointed that no one here has picked up on Flowvis Jesus. I thought that meme had legs and all I got out of it was about half a day on the Atlas boards. :cry:

ianwit
ianwit

Mchamilton wrote:i think its about time everybody shut up about this stupid reflection, anybody who cant see that the black circle is of the side pod intake (you can see clearly the red of the vodafone branding behind it, and you an see clearly also the lower suspension arm reflecting perfectly on the pylon too. the is simply is no f*ing hole. the talk of the direction of light has nothing to do with it, its about the a angle of the camera to the bodywork and it lines up very nicely with what i, and several other people with eyes have pointed out.
There's no need to be so tetchy about it how about a picture of the part you think it is then?
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

ianwit wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:i think its about time everybody shut up about this stupid reflection, anybody who cant see that the black circle is of the side pod intake (you can see clearly the red of the vodafone branding behind it, and you an see clearly also the lower suspension arm reflecting perfectly on the pylon too. the is simply is no f*ing hole. the talk of the direction of light has nothing to do with it, its about the a angle of the camera to the bodywork and it lines up very nicely with what i, and several other people with eyes have pointed out.
There's no need to be so tetchy about it how about a picture of the part you think it is then?
there is no need for a picture, look at the pictures on the post above mine, and read my description, if you use your eyes properly you should realise that is a reflection of those parts

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

It's not a hole, but even if it were, is the premise that it is gathering fast moving air, turning it 90 degrees down, then turning it 90 degrees sideways, then turning it 90 degrees backwards, so that it exits out the back of a series of flaps that are in the direct airstream and whose bewilderingly complex shape needs a tiny bit of dead air added to make them work better?

KevinR34
KevinR34

I Think all the teams copied this for Melbourne. It like a new blown diffuser concept?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

KevinR34 wrote:I Think all the teams copied this for Melbourne. It like a new blown diffuser concept?
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/ao49ba.jpg[img]
All teams will play around with the floor shape around the rear wheel. I'm don't really understand your post though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

KevinR34
KevinR34

Owen.C93 wrote:
KevinR34 wrote:I Think all the teams copied this for Melbourne. It like a new blown diffuser concept?
All teams will play around with the floor shape around the rear wheel. I'm don't really understand your post though.
My English is not so very good, but in do my best. That hole create gasses under the car for more downforce. It is a blown diffuser but a another version i think?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

KevinR34 wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
My English is not so very good, but in do my best. That hole create gasses under the car for more downforce. It is a blown diffuser but a another version i think?
Nothing that all teams haven't been doing for quite a few years :). RBR had an interchangeable section and trialed a few different shapes and McLaren also had modifiable floor cutouts near the rear wheel.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

those cut outs in the floor were there last year, that is where the exhausts exited, that is most likely the place where they're aiming the gases this year too, i'd imagen the cut out creates a nice vortice to seal the diffuser better

ianwit
ianwit

We must be talking at cross purposes, the side pod intakes are large and rectangular they can't be reflected as a small round circle on a fairly flat plane imho.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

ianwit wrote:We must be talking at cross purposes, the side pod intakes are large and rectangular they can't be reflected as a small round circle on a fairly flat plane imho.
The mirror finish is just that. A finish. It is not meant to mirror anything perfectly. It is simply meant to reflect light.

Your statement that the shape is wrong is dismissed by the fact that you can literally see how light streaks are being bent and distorted just by looking at the picture.

The secton of the pillar we are looking at curves inwards towards the middle of the car as it goes further back so its not a flat plane.

Why does this even matter?

aral
aral

ianwit wrote:We must be talking at cross purposes, the side pod intakes are large and rectangular they can't be reflected as a small round circle on a fairly flat plane imho.
The sides of the pylon are convex, thus causing the reflection to be minimised. But as the previous poster says, why does it matter?

Intego

I'm pretty sure it's not a reflection of the sidepod inlet, but it's a reflection of some other thing. Here are some pics from saturday with flowviz and without holes (maybe some one so.'s retina :twisted: ):

I admit there is this small rectangle on the right hand side middle section of the wing that looks like an opening, but there's more on earth that fools your eyes, e. g. a look in the mirror ... :mrgreen:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

ringo

Rikhart wrote:
Martin Whitmarsh first speculated that a passive F-duct could provide as much as 5-7kph extra straight-line speed, as well as creating further downforce.
Where are Martin's words?

Journo: Hypothetically if a front F duct was possible, how much faster do you think the car would be?

Martin: Oh i don't know, maybe 7 kph? :roll: if existed we'd love to put it on our car :roll: :) * there you go journo enough of you, moves on to next question*

Next day, journo's blog;

Journo: Whitmarsh has declared that Teams are using a front wing F duct and they are getting 7 kph on the straights with it!! It's real!! and Mclaren are copying right now!!

:lol: :lol:

You gotta be careful how you read these blogs and sites Rikhart.
For Sure!!