Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Pup wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: Maybe to you, but I think Chrome is the worst color for a car ever. They need to go back to their orange roots.
I think you'll find a ton of disagreement on that point.
Pierce and I usually agree, but on this one we don't. I think the chrome on the MaCa looks insanely good.

radosav
radosav

today, during FP1 & FP2, i didn't notice mclaren's front wing flex. sepang straights are longer than in melbourne, but i didn't see wings flex as they were flexing in melbourne. somebody mentioned that at melbourne FIA cheked mclarens three and a half hours due to front wings.

dimensi

Pup wrote:
dimensi wrote: what should the car color do to this technical thread?
Technically, Silver is better looking.

Uh, maybe it reflects the Sepang heat, which is why they can have fewer gills? Maybe the chrome finish is more slippery? I'm sure we can come up with a few justifications. :wink:
aha ... got it now =D>

gray41

Well in McLarens first appearance in F1 the car was white with a green stripe or silver and green.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I believe this is the McLaren car. Could someone tell me what the gold component that seems to be linked to the upper upright is for.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ledzep4pm

Owen.C93 wrote:I believe this is the McLaren car. Could someone tell me what the gold component that seems to be linked to the upper upright is for.
Its hard to see what it's connected to, but it appears to be joining the steering arm to the upright. The slot on the the side suggests it is adjustable in length.

Therefore I'd say it is so they can adjust the front toe.
Twitter @ledzep4pm

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ledzep4pm wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:I believe this is the McLaren car. Could someone tell me what the gold component that seems to be linked to the upper upright is for.
Its hard to see what it's connected to, but it appears to be joining the steering arm to the upright. The slot on the the side suggests it is adjustable in length.

Therefore I'd say it is so they can adjust the front toe.
It does looks more like a steering arm actually, good shout.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Henning
Henning

Maybe not steering arm. I would suggest camber adjustment. It seems to be at the top of the hub in the middle (twelve o'clock)

simieski
simieski

radosav wrote:today, during FP1 & FP2, i didn't notice mclaren's front wing flex. sepang straights are longer than in melbourne, but i didn't see wings flex as they were flexing in melbourne. somebody mentioned that at melbourne FIA cheked mclarens three and a half hours due to front wings.
Hmmm, hamiltons car was in for scrutineering again today after fp2, not for as long though.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

ledzep4pm

Henning wrote:Maybe not steering arm. I would suggest camber adjustment. It seems to be at the top of the hub in the middle (twelve o'clock)
Your right, looking at the slot shape extending it will change the camber not toe. But it is definitely attached to the steering arm looking at the pics.
Twitter @ledzep4pm

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

This looks like a way to change the height of vertical location of the steering arm. As the hub rotates/steers the pin is guided up & down changing the height of the steering arm.

They are are modifying the bump or roll steer for some reason.

Brian

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Hamilton wasnt running the gills behind the exhaust in FP2, perhaps they dont need the extra cooling?

scarlet
scarlet

radosav wrote:today, during FP1 & FP2, i didn't notice mclaren's front wing flex. sepang straights are longer than in melbourne, but i didn't see wings flex as they were flexing in melbourne. somebody mentioned that at melbourne FIA cheked mclarens three and a half hours due to front wings.
They probably need the wing to remain rigid to retain the extra front-end downforce through the high speed esses on this track. Time gained there might outweigh time gained on the straights, or it might be preferable for tyrewear during the race.

Which brings us back to Lewis' comments about his frontwing last week - he said he used one which was great for quali but didnt work so well in the highspeed during the race. I'll bet he was referring to the flexi wing.

raymondu999

ajdavison2 wrote:Hamilton wasnt running the gills behind the exhaust in FP2, perhaps they dont need the extra cooling?
I'd think they were running back to backs to determine the answer to that very question; rather than knowing for sure they don't need to.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Is it clear that the wings were flexing during the actual qual/race last weekend? Do we have any photos?

Brian