Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

[Don't mind me. I'm evidently just smelling the flowers.]

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I stand corrected :lol:

chepoi
chepoi

Shrieker

It seems that the heat bothers one more than the other. Possible sign for the race ?

Ooops thought this was the race thread not the car one, sorry :oops:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PlatinumZealot

That Andy Latham :evil: Always messing up the strategies! He looks like that kid in class who always forgets his homework! Scratching his head and whatnot.

Look on the other side of the desk - hands to the jaw and all that jazz, thinking man's pose!

Give me that nerdy engineer with the glasses any day!

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

What are the hoses doing?

Brian

Pup
Pup

Adding fuel I think. One hose is adding fuel and the other is taking up the fumes.

But I suppose they could also be circulating hot "coolant" through the engine to keep it warm.

raymondu999

You're welcome :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Pup wrote:Adding fuel I think. One hose is adding fuel and the other is taking up the fumes.
Or maybe circulation the fuel to keep it ambient. I don't believe you are allowed to chill the fuel.

Brian

raymondu999

They're allowed a maximum temperature, no? I remember the whole debacle after Brazil 2007 that McLaren (I think?) said Ferrari were using cooled fuel in Brazil 2007.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

6.5.2 No fuel intended for immediate use in a car may be more than ten degrees centigrade below
ambient temperature. When assessing compliance, the ambient temperature will be that
recorded by the FIA appointed weather service provider one hour before any practice session
or two hours before the race. This information will also be displayed on the timing monitors.
The temperature of fuel intended for use in a car must be measured via an FIA approved and
sealed sensor.

So no more than ten degrees centigrade below ambient temperature.

The sensor noted in the last sentence, do you think it is part of the cars set of sensors?

Brian

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

why would chilled fuel be an advantage?

JackHammer

morefirejules08 wrote:why would chilled fuel be an advantage?
Isn't it more dense when cool?

Raptor22
Raptor22

hardingfv32 wrote:6.5.2 No fuel intended for immediate use in a car may be more than ten degrees centigrade below
ambient temperature. When assessing compliance, the ambient temperature will be that
recorded by the FIA appointed weather service provider one hour before any practice session
or two hours before the race. This information will also be displayed on the timing monitors.
The temperature of fuel intended for use in a car must be measured via an FIA approved and
sealed sensor.

So no more than ten degrees centigrade below ambient temperature.

The sensor noted in the last sentence, do you think it is part of the cars set of sensors?

Brian
The sensor is on the fuel drums. Its monitors the fuel temp.

Cooling the fuel is essential if the ambient temp gets up too high because at at intial boiling point of 45 degrees C the butane in the mix will start to evaporate off, changing the fuels finger print.
The Reid Vapour Pressure also comes into play since the fuel will for to much vapour in the tank making fuel delivery an issue. This is not a big problem since the injection pressure is high. The big problem is the fuels hydrocarbon spread because if it changes too much the FIA will deem it illegal.
The chilling is too keep the fuel legal

Oneshortplanck
Oneshortplanck

JackHammer wrote:
morefirejules08 wrote:why would chilled fuel be an advantage?
Isn't it more dense when cool?
sure,,
more energy per mm^3.. smaller fuel tank required....lower cog.... etc.

also
Some aircraft (JSF) use the fuel as a heat well and transfer heat to the tank during flight when some systems are running at max.

i wonder if any teams do anything simalar so they dont need such large sidepods/rads...
Do not argue with an idiot. She will drag you down to her level and beat you with experience.