Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Ferrari F2012

Not an expert in suspension design; so I have no idea how accurate this is; but here's a new article on F1Fanatic: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/03/28/f ... uspension/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

munudeges wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Image
I think that diagram nicely sums up the problems. Put yourself in the position of that pull-rod and look at how little movement, especially vertical movement, there is inboard here.
The amount of vertical motion of the pull-rod is completely irrelevant. Look at the damn diagram I drew up earlier:

There seems to be some misconception that the push or pull-rod has to support all the vertical load of the car directly. It doesn't!!! Forget all the names of all the elements in the front view. It's completely irrelevant. All that matters is that you have links there in some orientation that can support vertical and lateral loads. That requirement is met. In this case, vertical load is taken up initially through the A-arms... and even with a completely horizontal pull or push rod can control the vertical position of the chassis by its horizontal displacement.

A linkage is a linkage. Who cares what orientation it's in.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

scarbs
scarbs

bhallg2k wrote:FWEP?
Front Wing End Plate

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Also, having skimmed through the F1 Fanatic article I'd say it's overly hand-waved and rubbish based on the line to the effect of... "the chassis has to be strengthened [locally] which negates the CoG benefit"

Says who?

Unless you're the designer of the car, you don't know what the specific structural change requirements are (if any, to maintain an appropriate amount of compliance), nor where internal mass has moved and by how much. Entirely possible the CG benefit still wins out.

Just more hand-waving BS that is too easy to take at face value.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

bhall
bhall

f1316 wrote:Nevertheless, I also can't see the harm in being exactly on the same page as the rest of the field, unless of course the suspension layout is fundamental to whole design philosophy of the car (albeit, a philosophy which has already shown itself to be flawed).
I can see it. The whole point of F1 is to be faster than the rest of the field. Blindly following what everyone else does is rarely an ingredient for success. Ferrari knows this, as they have a lot of experience in merely copying and refining other teams' solutions.

The F2012 may hurt like hell this year, but the lessons the team learn from it are invaluable.

(That is, if they learn them. I have my fingers crossed.)

xpensive
xpensive

bhallg2k wrote: ...
The F2012 may hurt like hell this year, but the lessons the team learn from it are invaluable.
Right, guess a poke in the eye with a blunt stick could be portrayed as an invaluable lesson as well if you put your mind to it?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

bhall
bhall

[Meh]
Last edited by bhall on 28 Mar 2012, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Afterburner

amouzouris

this is what bad press is...presenting only one side of the argument....how funny will it be if we see red bull, mclaren etc. adopting front pull-rods for next year?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Ferrari will not change the pull rod front suspension. Right now Ferrari is doing Q&A on twitter with #askFerrari The question was asked an answered! :D

I suggest looking at their page for answers to the many questions we have about the F2012---> https://twitter.com/#!/InsideFerrari

No new chassis either the team says. I also asked about correlation problems and the team said there are none. Correlation between wind tunnel, CFD & the track are fine.

f1316
f1316

Yes, the twitter thing is interesting, lots of itneresting, if (understandably) cagey answers.

I saw "time will tell" in response to Crucial's question about a new exhaust; since other questions just get a "no", I'd think that's a yes.

Since they (again, understandably) are not going to tell us what they're bringing to China, anyone care to speculate on what we're going to see? Something big? Something small?

The official answer is broadly "Aerodynamics", so what do we think this might entail, given the relatively narrow time frame?

FakeAlonso

no new car in Spain

Scuderia Ferrari ‏ @InsideFerrari

@tobbegarcia No new car in the pipleline but we will work on improvements, starting from China and more to come in Spain

So according to the answers from Official Ferrari Twitter, it appears that no new car in the pipeline and no major change such as pull road, no change on rear suspension ect . It looks they will try to optimize this design then.... ????

They also denied a new crash test so either they are hiding something for now or they will not make a new crash test at all.
Last edited by FakeAlonso on 28 Mar 2012, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

banibhusan

f1316 wrote: Since they (again, understandably) are not going to tell us what they're bringing to China, anyone care to speculate on what we're going to see? Something big? Something small?
May be a revised front wing. As someone else pointed out earlier, their front wing end plates are not functioning as intended.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Journalists regurgitating the same crap from the same shakey source does not make it any more true.

Don't just take stuff at face value, folks. Think critically!

bhall
bhall

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I also asked about correlation problems and the team said there are none. Correlation between wind tunnel, CFD & the track are fine.
What then is the excuse for the exhaust failure? A brief palsy of some sort for its designer?