Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

myurr wrote:Could it have been damaged in transit, hence only just finding out?
More likely it was the first opportunity to lodge the paperwork with the stewards declaring a change. After all the steward only convene at race events, hence the reason the protests about new features (ie DDD or F duct) can’t be lodged until they arrive for the first race of the season in Melbourne.

Also, unless it is an outright failure, they will have been bench testing and used non-destructive testing to check and double check their concerns before declaring a change. They had time on their side, so why rush a decision that costs 5 places?

myurr
myurr

richard_leeds wrote:
myurr wrote:Could it have been damaged in transit, hence only just finding out?
More likely it was the first opportunity to lodge the paperwork with the stewards declaring a change. After all the steward only convene at race events, hence the reason the protests about new features (ie DDD or F duct) can’t be lodged until they arrive for the first race of the season in Melbourne.

Also, unless it is an outright failure, they will have been bench testing and used non-destructive testing to check and double check their concerns before declaring a change. They had time on their side, so why rush a decision that costs 5 places?
The quote on Autosport is "Hamilton said the damage to the gearbox was only picked up in last 48 hours." which is why I was thinking it was more recent than that. They don't say that the damage was only verified or anything like that, the phrasing sounds like it was only just detected. I would have thought it must have been subtle but very high risk of complete failure for it to be detected so late.

PlatinumZealot

I think somebody at Mclaren sabotaged it.. but that is another matter.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

alelanza
alelanza

What a bummer, was also hoping for a nice clean weekend. At least it's China, overtaking should be aplenty!
Coefficient wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:How do you think they recognized that they had a gearbox problem: oil analysis, operation data, post race dyno test?

Any other possibilities?

Brian

It wouldn't change gear. :D
Hehe best answer of the year, needed that, thanks.
Alejandro L.

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

myurr wrote:
SiLo wrote:Yeah, real shame, as I was hoping we would just get a normal race under normal conditions. I still feel Hamilton will take pole and start 5th though.
Any news on what upgrades they are brining to China? Specific of course :)
He'd start 6th. 1 + 5 = 6.

I actually think his strategy will depend on the weather forecast. If it's forecast to be wet then he'll run the softs and aim for pole. If it looks like it'll be dry then he'll either aim for second but only do a single Q3 run to save a set of tyres and bias his setup for the race, or he may aim for 3rd or so but qualify on the prime tyres.

Should be interesting to see how able he is to fight back. The car is quick and if he goes for an aggressive tyre strategy then he should have the pace to force others into responding, neutralising any tyre wear differences until the final stint.
I think it would be 5th... 5 X 1 = 5
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Lycoming
Lycoming

why the hell would it be multiplicative?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Lycoming wrote:why the hell would it be multiplicative?
Maybe it's just a reflection of F1 being over convoluted and nonsensical.

(and score one more for the McLaren garage)

ell66
ell66

TRICKLE69 wrote:
myurr wrote:
SiLo wrote:Yeah, real shame, as I was hoping we would just get a normal race under normal conditions. I still feel Hamilton will take pole and start 5th though.
Any news on what upgrades they are brining to China? Specific of course :)
He'd start 6th. 1 + 5 = 6.

I actually think his strategy will depend on the weather forecast. If it's forecast to be wet then he'll run the softs and aim for pole. If it looks like it'll be dry then he'll either aim for second but only do a single Q3 run to save a set of tyres and bias his setup for the race, or he may aim for 3rd or so but qualify on the prime tyres.

Should be interesting to see how able he is to fight back. The car is quick and if he goes for an aggressive tyre strategy then he should have the pace to force others into responding, neutralising any tyre wear differences until the final stint.
I think it would be 5th... 5 X 1 = 5

lol ..........1+5= 6th

not hard to understand.

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

Lycoming wrote:why the hell would it be multiplicative?
:lol: hahah that's a classic, my daughter messing around sorry....
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

McLaren Flo-Vis on new FW

Checking new RW Aero
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 13 Apr 2012, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

Hail22

Button has the monkey seat on his RW.

Edit: Both Maccas have monkey seats!

Edit 2: Hamilton running Rear Diffuser Sensor rake xD
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

RW aero testing

New FW

Brake ducting

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 13 Apr 2012, 09:28, edited 4 times in total.

banibhusan

@Crucial

Whitmarsh confirmed on the SKY sports coverage that they have a new floor for this weekend. That's why they were running with all these rear aero sensors.

Btw, can anyone enlighten me on the purpose of these monkey seats?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

banibhusan wrote:@Crucial

Whitmarsh confirmed on the SKY sports coverage that they have a new floor for this weekend. That's why they were running with all these rear aero sensors.

Btw, can anyone enlighten me on the purpose of these monkey seats?
Yeah I was watching FP1 on Sky and heard Whitmarsh. The monkey seat helps give more downforce. Usually it's ran at high downforce tracks like Monaco, but with EDB gone this year, they like the extra help it provides.

bhall
bhall

They specifically help with downforce by keeping air flow attached to the rear wing, and that allows for higher AoA. I think we'll see them more and more as all of the cars seem to be converging on Red Bull-style central vents, which enhances the performance of those wings.