Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
michl420
michl420

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Lycoming wrote:Perhaps a stronger vortex at that region is more beneficial for redirection of airflow downstream... will cost them some aero efficiency, but that is a very small element anyways.

michl420 wrote:In my opinion a monkey seat is on of the best ways to produce downforce. Because you can design it in the most effective way. So maybe it brings just a little bit downforce but very effective.
Not really. It has a very, very low aspect ratio, which results in a lot of induced drag. You are not really limited in terms of profiles that you can use, except the rear wing which only allows 2 element wings. It is in fact much less efficient than the front or rear wing. The advantage is that it helps drive the diffuser and probably takes advantage of an area of relatively clean airflow to get a little bit of extra downforce when you need it.
I understand that this wings are bad in drag penalty as we see it. But why the teams make maybe 2 wingprofils in a shape like aircraft wings. They would have less drag.( not much downforce but better than no wing)

McMrocks
McMrocks

i have got a simply question:
Do you think the new floor improves the pace?

the gap to Mercedes was a lot :?

Pup
Pup

I think the cars are set up for race pace.

But we'll know shortly for sure.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Pup wrote:I think the cars are set up for race pace.

i hope it but 0.5 sec is much.

someone sad that you allways set up your car for going as fast as possible and then you take care on the tyres.

lets hope this was not best pace they have

Lycoming
Lycoming

michl420 wrote: I understand that this wings are bad in drag penalty as we see it. But why the teams make maybe 2 wingprofils in a shape like aircraft wings. They would have less drag.( not much downforce but better than no wing)
Certainly they have less drag force due to their small size but in terms of lift to drag ratio, I would expect them to be quite a bit worse than the rear or front wings due to their low aspect ratio. Although to be honest I don't really know what you're trying to say.

As for the gap to mercedes... its tough to say. the temperature dropped a lot between Q2 and Q3. AS somebody else already mentioned, rosberg was first to set a hot lap and that could have had a lot to do with it.
michl420 wrote:
Lycoming wrote:Perhaps a stronger vortex at that region is more beneficial for redirection of airflow downstream... will cost them some aero efficiency, but that is a very small element anyways.

beelsebob
beelsebob

McMrocks wrote:

someone sad that you allways set up your car for going as fast as possible and then you take care on the tyres.

1) Rosberg changed his setup at the last moment to a completely qualifying oriented one.
2) Hamilton beat Schumacher, who has been the faster Mercedes for most of the year (so far).
3) Rosberg was on track at the perfect moment for the tyres to work.

With all those in play, I don't really think we can read much into the performance of the floor.

michl420
michl420

Lycoming wrote:
michl420 wrote: I understand that this wings are bad in drag penalty as we see it. But why the teams make maybe 2 wingprofils in a shape like aircraft wings. They would have less drag.( not much downforce but better than no wing)
Certainly they have less drag force due to their small size but in terms of lift to drag ratio, I would expect them to be quite a bit worse than the rear or front wings due to their low aspect ratio. Although to be honest I don't really know what you're trying to say.

As for the gap to mercedes... its tough to say. the temperature dropped a lot between Q2 and Q3. AS somebody else already mentioned, rosberg was first to set a hot lap and that could have had a lot to do with it.
michl420 wrote:
I trying to say that I don´t understand why many teams don´t use this free area (15cm) in the rules to generate downforce. Unless you mean that in 15 cm it´s impossible to make a efficient wing.

Lycoming
Lycoming

Aero improvements in F1 are not just about adding downforce. More than anything, they are about improving aero efficiency, ie. generating more downforce for less drag.

Adding downforce is easy, just crank up the wing angles. but if it the drag penalty is too great, your lap times will suffer.

The little wing there by itself is quite innefficient for a number of reasons. Besides the fact that it generates a lot of induced drag, the high pressure zone above it is diluted by the low pressure zone under the main wing. The same thing happens to a greater degree with the beam wing. So it reduces the effectiveness of all 3 wings.

It probably still adds net downforce, and by virtue of that also enhances the efficiency of the diffuser, but the element itself is not that efficient for a lot of reasons.

In the end, it adds drag, but also downforce in addition to moving the center of pressure rearwards, which affects balance. Does it end up making you faster or slower in the end? Obviously, some teams say yes, others say no. This is why not all teams run it.

McMrocks
McMrocks

beelsebob wrote:
McMrocks wrote:

1) Rosberg changed his setup at the last moment to a completely qualifying oriented one.
2) Hamilton beat Schumacher, who has been the faster Mercedes for most of the year (so far).
3) Rosberg was on track at the perfect moment for the tyres to work.

With all those in play, I don't really think we can read much into the performance of the floor.
if u think so :)

for both (the monkey seat and the floor) i think mclaren knows what they do.

they will not do it for reducing pace.

possible that the monkey seat saves the rear tyres because the car has a better ballance?

good night

ell66
ell66

Owen.C93 wrote:
boyracer94 wrote:What would be the advantage of getting rid of the louvres on the cascade elements?
More effective wing element. You don't need to shed drag or worry about stalling as much as on the rear wing.

he's talking about the front wing...theres no cascades on the RW.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ell66 wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
boyracer94 wrote:What would be the advantage of getting rid of the louvres on the cascade elements?
More effective wing element. You don't need to shed drag or worry about stalling as much as on the rear wing.

he's talking about the front wing...theres no cascades on the RW.
I know, that's what I'm talking about.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

michl420
michl420

Lycoming wrote:Aero improvements in F1 are not just about adding downforce. More than anything, they are about improving aero efficiency, ie. generating more downforce for less drag.

Adding downforce is easy, just crank up the wing angles. but if it the drag penalty is too great, your lap times will suffer.

The little wing there by itself is quite innefficient for a number of reasons. Besides the fact that it generates a lot of induced drag, the high pressure zone above it is diluted by the low pressure zone under the main wing. The same thing happens to a greater degree with the beam wing. So it reduces the effectiveness of all 3 wings.

It probably still adds net downforce, and by virtue of that also enhances the efficiency of the diffuser, but the element itself is not that efficient for a lot of reasons.

In the end, it adds drag, but also downforce in addition to moving the center of pressure rearwards, which affects balance. Does it end up making you faster or slower in the end? Obviously, some teams say yes, others say no. This is why not all teams run it.
I got it, thanks! :wink:

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

I notice McLaren has increased the size of the heat shielding tape in the path of the exhaust.

Malaysia

China- Right click>view image

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Indeed they have, see the two pitstop pics here:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ace-17.php

Also the fins on the floor seem to have changed

adrianjordan

How long do you guys think it will take McLaren to get a DDRS onto their car given that they helped pioneer the rear wing F-Duct and so have a considerable amount of knowledge of the principles of such a system...??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️