Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Interesting picture. I've looked through Bahrain shots, and can't find the right angle to compare so see if the slot is still there. I'm going to look through China too. Anyway have a peek at the slot on the edge of the floor.

pic via @AbakarovShamil

Original Link

radosav
radosav

is it for stalling

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Are those wing-let on the barge-board? It would be nice to see a CFD of this area of the car. A lot of vortex formation going on?

I wonder if Lotus has anymore talent in this area of the car after working so hard to salvage last years exhaust theme.

Brian

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Interesting picture. I've looked through Bahrain shots, and can't find the right angle to compare so see if the slot is still there. I'm going to look through China too. Anyway have a peek at the slot on the edge of the floor.

[img]https://p.twimg.com/ArfKBAlCIAAGQp8.jpg:large[img]
pic via @AbakarovShamil

Original Link
That's an R31 that they changed slightly to make it look like an E20 at launch because the real car was elsewhere at the time I believe. Look through the early pages of the thread to see some other shots I posted of the car after I mistook it for the 2012 car.

And those bargeboards were for the FEE Hardvingfv32, not sure why they got rid of them.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Owen.C93 wrote: That's an R31 that they changed slightly to make it look like an E20 at launch because the real car was elsewhere at the time I believe. Look through the early pages of the thread to see some other shots I posted of the car after I mistook it for the 2012 car.

And those bargeboards were for the FEE Hardvingfv32, not sure why they got rid of them.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification Ownen. :)

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Lotus opted to use older front wing for Bahrain, or maybe new front wing with older stlyle endplates.

What about that ,,windshear" test?When will that occur?After Bahrain they said something like ,,next week we have windhear test, then Mugello, and then Barcelona".I'm a bit confused.
English is not my native language and I can't translate ,,windshear" quite good.Is it aerodynamic test?
Last edited by Richard on 30 Apr 2012, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replies split to http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339135#p339135
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Is steering isue now gone for Raikkonen?
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

I think, they gave up 4 days on straight-line on track testing for 8 days 100% scale testing...or something like that.

Chuckjr

From page 51 Lotus team quote:

""It almost looked too good, and we were worried that we didn't have enough fuel and other people had more.
"We calculated stuff out and looked at the quickest Mercedes lap – because they were very fast on their long-run pace. We worked out what fuel they were on and we were fairly confident then.""

Can someone tell me how teams figure out the fuel loads other teams are running? How can they know that?
Watching F1 since 1986.

raymondu999

Sonic analysis
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Chuckjr

raymondu999 wrote:Sonic analysis
Enlighten me...How does exhaust note express this? How accurate? To the gallon? To the cup? To the teaspoon?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Richard
Richard

By popular request ...

marcush. wrote:maybe it´s time for the mods to move the tunnel related posts to the proper thread?

MIKEY_! wrote:marcush, you are right we need a new thread for this, post self-reported, mods do your thing...

:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=339135#p339135

wrcsti
wrcsti

Chuckjr wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Sonic analysis
Enlighten me...How does exhaust note express this? How accurate? To the gallon? To the cup? To the teaspoon?
I doubt its done by that, Heck in good ol nascar where they dont even know how much fuel they put into their own car at times using a calculator and a notepad they figure out what lap they have to stop, when the competition does, and if stopping early for new tires would be a big enough advantage. All with a calculator, and a notepad. Im sure with F1s loose rules with telemetry they can figure things out much better and easier. So its likely just more maths, basing the stops with possible strategy scenarios and pace and ruling out which dont fit in.

raymondu999

It's by sonic analysis, I assure you. I don't know details such as specifics or accuracy, but I'm 100% positive it is by sonic.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wrcsti
wrcsti

raymondu999 wrote:It's by sonic analysis, I assure you. I don't know details such as specifics or accuracy, but I'm 100% positive it is by sonic.
its pretty much impossible to tell how much fuel its burning by sonic analysis because the sound changes by varying exhaust layouts and even atmospheric conditions. There would bee too much inconsistency, plus a system that can track 24 cars at the same time in different parts of the track? Not even in star wars