Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient
Coefficient

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

wrcsti wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:It's by sonic analysis, I assure you. I don't know details such as specifics or accuracy, but I'm 100% positive it is by sonic.
its pretty much impossible to tell how much fuel its burning by sonic analysis because the sound changes by varying exhaust layouts and even atmospheric conditions. There would bee too much inconsistency, plus a system that can track 24 cars at the same time in different parts of the track? Not even in star wars
They do use Sonics actually and its very straight forward.

Its very easy to take a sample of the sound an engine makes at peak revs and a sample of the engine noise when its on tick over in the pit lane. Say for arguments sake that the tick over pitch of the engine is a low C and at max revs the pitch hits a Hi F, the time it takes to ascend through the pitches relates directly to the weight of the fuel being carried as the labor on the drive trains differs under different fuel weights. Simples!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

raymondu999

How do they compensate for gearing though?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wrcsti
wrcsti

Coefficient wrote:
wrcsti wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:It's by sonic analysis, I assure you. I don't know details such as specifics or accuracy, but I'm 100% positive it is by sonic.
its pretty much impossible to tell how much fuel its burning by sonic analysis because the sound changes by varying exhaust layouts and even atmospheric conditions. There would bee too much inconsistency, plus a system that can track 24 cars at the same time in different parts of the track? Not even in star wars
They do use Sonics actually and its very straight forward.

Its very easy to take a sample of the sound an engine makes at peak revs and a sample of the engine noise when its on tick over in the pit lane. Say for arguments sake that the tick over pitch of the engine is a low C and at max revs the pitch hits a Hi F, the time it takes to ascend through the pitches relates directly to the weight of the fuel being carried as the labor on the drive trains differs under different fuel weights. Simples!
Itd be easier to track the acceleration with the timing/scoring system than with sound. Theres just better ways to do things than with something that has as many variables as sound.

Richard
Richard

The teams detect the engine revs from the exhaust sound. That's very well known, Coulthard and Brundle discussed it in commentary last season. They were saying it was used when they were racing and gets ever more sophisticated. Previously discussed here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4174 and viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2218

The teams know that every car will drive foot flat to the floor on the main straight, so that gives a reasonably constant baseline. It eliminates other factors such as driver skill. The straight also has a handy speed trap to calibrate everything. Hence the main variables in the straight line acceleration from lap to lap must be tyre degradation and fuel load. If you measure the cars just after they have new tyres, the main variable will be fuel.

Incidentally, the engine revs also give away the gear ratios.

Obviously it’s not a precise science because there are other secondary variables such as weather and track condition.

Feel free to post to one of the above threads or start a new topic on the subject. Anyway, let’s get back to topic. ...

Coefficient
Coefficient

wrcsti wrote:Itd be easier to track the acceleration with the timing/scoring system than with sound. Theres just better ways to do things than with something that has as many variables as sound.
The teams are effectively eaves dropping on each other when they do this, its not a mutually co-operative undertaking. The only uninterupted data flow they have is the sound. Also, the anologue nature of soundwaves means it can be measured very precisely.
Last edited by Richard on 30 Apr 2012, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tags
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

The A/F ratio and timing is just as important as revs when it comes to fuel milage. What does the sonic method detect the attributes of the combustion event?

Who cares about the milage of other teams? This is all so easy to model that any team can analysis all the possible combinations of their 'milage' package and make their own intelligent decision. There is absolutely no mysteries about this subject.

Brian

kwanchepan
kwanchepan

0501 Test.Strange things on left suspension.

bhall
bhall

Variable geometry control arms? Integrated springs? Whatever they are, my interest is piqued.

bot6
bot6

Strain gauges would be my guess

Ferraripilot

bot6 wrote:Strain gauges would be my guess

+1

McMrocks
McMrocks

I'm amazed about the simple way of the lotus exhaust. All Teams try new exhaust only Mercedes, McLaren and Lotus take their old exhausts

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Yeah.It seems like Lotus' simple solution for exhaust is actually advantage of E20.What do you think guys?There is no signs that Lotus is going to change politics about exhausts soon...
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

raymondu999

It's helped them in that it's focused them onto fundamental aerodynamics without spending time thinking of exhausts.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

elf341
elf341

I think another pivotal factor is having comparatively less experience with the dominant EBD philosophy of 2011: rearward, targeted flow to seal the diffuser. The R31's forward exhaust was purportedly merely energising flow under the floor, and diffuser - which did have a positive effect, but was only ever very effective in fast corners, which is (imo) the opposite of some of the main benefits of the EBD which is increasing downforce in slow to medium corners when natural aerodynamic load would decrease (e.g. compare RB7 vs R31 in Singapore 2011)

I suppose they might think that doing all the investigation work that the other teams did last year is a waste of resources, especially when the effect is maybe only 10% of what it was last year. Whereas the other teams think "well, we have this knowledge, let's apply it".

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Mugello. Right click>view image