Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
windwaves
windwaves

Re: Ferrari F2012

xpensive wrote:That is an elegant xhaust, but what's with those green stripes on the suspensionarms, temperature detectors?
yes, I believe those are temp. sensors. Evidently Ferrari needs to ensure the safety of the drivers !!!! pretty scarey to have those exhausts blown over those suspension arms.

Artur Craft

amouzouris wrote:
amouzouris wrote:ok so...in the mugello test we have seen:
2 new exhaust configurations tested
new rear wing
new beam wing
new engine cover
new turning vanes
new floor

and more upgrades are expected for Spain...
this were the upgrades...and add to that rear brake ducts...it was discussed a few pages back
It's incredible that Massa only expects 0,2-0,3s with the updates

Cuky

Artur Craft wrote:It's incredible that Massa only expects 0,2-0,3s with the updates
I think he is just realistic or cautious. F2012 haven't perform like they wanted in first 4 races, and now there was some improvement at Mugello. I think it is better to be cautious and have better car than you expected at next GP

Vanja #66

Ferrari_Tifosi88 wrote:http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03052012/ ... count.html

[-o< :D

FORZA FERRARI!!!
"In a way it was a positive week and a positive test, because all the parts we put on, even if they were small in terms of performance, they worked as expected," he said.

"After some problems in the winter and last year, where we brought new parts for testing, six were working and four of them not working, here even if we only brought three or four, all were working as expected."
If nothing else, this is great. This means that engineers understand the car, they know what needs to be done and how... Fry&Co. looked pretty much lost 2 months ago, probably because they expected too much from original solution and expected for it to work flawlessly, now its heads down, chairs are getting worm, work is paying off... Bad thing is that it had to be that way from the start, but when life gives you lemons...

Team expects more from Barcelona updates, and that can be nothing but encouraging... I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Scarb's solution or something close to it will be seen in 8 days time...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Vanja #66 wrote:

If nothing else, this is great. This means that engineers understand the car, they know what needs to be done and how... Fry&Co. looked pretty much lost 2 months ago, probably because they expected too much from original solution and expected for it to work flawlessly, now its heads down, chairs are getting worm, work is paying off... Bad thing is that it had to be that way from the start, but when life gives you lemons...

Team expects more from Barcelona updates, and that can be nothing but encouraging... I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Scarb's solution or something close to it will be seen in 8 days time...
You're right Vanja, it is great for the team. Mugello has shown surely that we have a much better understanding of the car and even more so, the wind tunnel correlation is matching up with track data. =D>

This bodes quite well for future updates & the rest of the season. Now it's just time to chip away at the gap. I too think maybe we haven't seen the "final" exhaust solution. Fernando said they would go with which ever solution they feel most comfortable with.

Fernando also said they tried a new clutch today. We know Ferrari has some of the better starts on the grid. Let's hope the new clutch helps in this regard.

bhall
bhall

Looks like my thoughts of an exhaust channel on the diffuser were just flat wrong.

I don't know whether to be disappointed that they don't have it or if I should be in some way elated, because, for all intents and purposes, I invented it. (I still really like the idea.)

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

marcush. wrote:those are actually blue strips ,taped over with heat resistive electronics tape(polymide),presumably they do this to get rid of the hot air influencing the temperature reading ..(you want component temp ,don´t you?) I don´t understand why they don´t use temperature probes ..the stripes are accurate but you have no idea how long and when the temps are present...just local high readings...

http://temperature-indicators.co.uk/aca ... el_TDS.pdf
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... xXCOrrrrQ-

the reaction time is 4 seconds !so you might not see true peaks?filtering can be dangerous...
They are testing regional highest temperatures on susspension.They don't need to know temperatures through times.Susspension material (carbon fibre or anything else) can sustain temperature to some point.Teams want to know do exhausts make overheating problems going above the temp. limit of materials.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

bhall
bhall

I always thought the thermometer strips were most valuable for determining where the exhaust plume travels.

Hail22

Mulling through some articles and also reports from Ferrari is telling me for once they actually have a "real" sense of direction with the correct application of parts and being able to understand and correlate the feedback being given back to them.

9 Days to go until FP1, we will need to wait and see what the further updates are, Pat Fry did allude earlier in the week the parts coming to Barcelona are much larger.

Now whether thats a new floor, internal aero work, new clutch set (as a member earlier stated), or sidepods etc we will need to wait and see.

In conclusion I believe Ferrari have taken a much more positive step and going in the right direction with regards to micro management and symetry from Factory to the track which is very important in my view.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Hail22 wrote:Mulling through some articles and also reports from Ferrari ....
Why not make statements to just get the press off their back. Let's see, we have a team that is just figuring out their car or a team that knows their car.... Who is most likely to be able to move forward with improvements?

This # 1 spot is a moving target. There is no reason to expect that the other front runners have also not made progress from this test.

Brian

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

bhallg2k wrote:I always thought the thermometer strips were most valuable for determining where the exhaust plume travels.
They wont be that reliable since the exhaust plume will cool at different rates. So you can't really map the flow of the exhaust, but you can map the temperature of it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Chuckjr

bhallg2k wrote:Looks like my thoughts of an exhaust channel on the diffuser were just flat wrong.

I don't know whether to be disappointed that they don't have it or if I should be in some way elated, because, for all intents and purposes, I invented it. (I still really like the idea.)
It's too early to know if your concept is wrong or not. I would not dismiss it too quickly. They may well have something like your theory coming into focus.

That said, well done Ferrari. =D> The work is paying off. Give Alonso a car he can fight with and nobody on the grid is safe. Was it not heir Schumacher that finally started to pull the team together at a similar moment in his F1 career at Ferrari? Maybe we are headed in a similar direction. [-o<
Watching F1 since 1986.

Hail22

Chuckjr wrote:
It's too early to know if your concept is wrong or not. I would not dismiss it too quickly. They may well have something like your theory coming into focus.

That said, well done Ferrari. =D> The work is paying off. Give Alonso a car he can fight with and nobody on the grid is safe. Was it not heir Schumacher that finally started to pull the team together at a similar moment in his F1 career at Ferrari? Maybe we are headed in a similar direction. [-o<
Michael Schumacher is a Driver/Developer just like his role at Mercedes, if you noticed how pleased and happy he is when Rosberg and the team bode well in Grand prixs? regardless of his past races where he had gearbox problems, wheel fell off.

Alonso is similar to Schumacher he is a driver/developer however he may not take as many dangerous risks as Schumacher would do.

Ferrari are on an enlightened path, hopefully they can harness this positive energy and move forward with their updates for Barcelona, Canada and Valencia.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

marcush.
marcush.

you cannot ignore the time your components are exposed to the temp.If you think that is not important and not worth knowing you are up to some surprises.
I´d say the thermal behaviour of the CF components is not that easy to monitor as the heat may or may not be conducted quite quickly along the length of the fibres.

I for once would install permanent temp probes in critical areas per defaultand monitor closely what´s happening and after completing the service life iinspection will reveal how close my prediction was in terms of life remaining in the component...

Hail22

I found this article by Scarbs as a very interesting read, and reading someones comment then re-reading the article, technically if Ferrari wanted they have several exhaust options with this new update:

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/05/0 ... o-exhaust/

I love the article, hopefully you guys will like it as well.

Gilles Villeneuve