Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
muelte
muelte

Re: Ferrari F2012

spain:

monaco:

Different angle or slighty bigger Acer ducts?

Also, monkey seat seems to have bigger angle.

Gridlock

Monkey seat has gained a slot, as has the side of the duct by the looks of it (to create a curtain effect at the exhaust nozzle perhaps?). As to the length, if you look at the bottom triangle of the Scuderia but-definitely-not-Marlboro logo you can see this difference in angle; it still looks a bit longer though. The additional bodywork line between "Acer" and "Shell" another bit of evidence of ongoing swapping?

Edit: I think the shut line is just out of focus in the first shot, you can sort of see it at the shoulder of the side pod.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Perhaps this is just me but in this pic the Acer duct looks even longer than in the shot that Muelte has for Monaco. :shock:

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Postmoe

muelte wrote:spain:

[img]http://www.motorsportgp.pl/images/motor ... 01.jpg[img]

monaco:

[img]http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... um.jpg[img]

Different angle or slighty bigger Acer ducts?

Also, monkey seat seems to have bigger angle.

Extreme rake, it's so extreme it floats. But no sidepod volume differences for me.
Last edited by Richard on 25 May 2012, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Neno wrote: you calling that a aero rake, only because Monaco is track with many bumps car have this rake. if you compare their rake with lotus or mclaren you will see it's almost insignificant. sure, maybe i'm wrong...
I think you're indeed wrong. The only team that really runs lots of rake is Red Bull. The rest of the teams are quite similar.

The Ferrari amount of rake is only made "insignificant" like you say when compared to the RB8. The other levels are similar to the F2012. Plus it's not like the RB8 is the class of the field. I think the F2012 Engineers know what they're doing.

Neno
Neno

Hmm, on some other pics i see Ferrari, Lotus and Mclaren on Beau Rivage corner and Lotus had biggest height from asphalt to floor, and from that I concluded they probably have the biggest rake... :|

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Neno wrote:Hmm, on some other pics i see Ferrari, Lotus and Mclaren on Beau Rivage corner and Lotus had biggest height from asphalt to floor, and from that I concluded they probably have the biggest rake... :|
It mostly depends on angle of the picture, but Lotus come nowhere near close to Red Bull regarding the rake of the car. McLaren don't run much rake either. In the pre-season the F2012 was in Red Bull territory but not since. The F2012 has been comparable with others since the Spanish GP.

I posted pics during the Bahrain GP in this thread and the Ferrari & Lotus were quite similar with Red Bull as always leading in this area.

---

@muelte in the pictures you've posted it seems the acer duct, or what's left of it has been altered since Montmelo.

Edit: Looking at more pictures I'm not sure anything has changed with the Acer Ducts from Montmelo in terms of being longer or of different shape. I think it's the angle of the picture.
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 25 May 2012, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I'd imagine that a rake change in Monaco would be edging more towards mechanical setup reasons rather than aero.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bhall
bhall

Ferrari has pretty much abandoned attempts to seal the diffuser via exhaust gasses - I hope - and because of that, the car will likely not have rake like last year. Such angles require a sealed diffuser to yield any positive results.

Kiril Varbanov

bhallg2k wrote:Ferrari has pretty much abandoned attempts to seal the diffuser via exhaust gasses - I hope - and because of that, the car will likely not have rake like last year. Such angles require a sealed diffuser to yield any positive results.
Without EBD is rather hard to make a seal for expanded diffuser height, they have to go for some floor holes, for example.
Simply increasing rake would account for less downforce, but greater front grip/understeer.

Teechnical

Car looking good for qualifying. Its got good downforce and consistency throughout the lap.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

myurr
myurr

Teechnical wrote:Car looking good for qualifying. Its got good downforce and consistency throughout the lap.
Yup, looking very good through S1 and S2, but dropping a little bit in S3. Massa right up there as well which is a good sign.

Cuky

I don't think the car is bad in S3. Both Massa and Alonso on their fastest laps clipped the big yellow curb in Swimming pool 2 a little too hard.

Teechnical

And Alonso would've gone faster but he was held up by Grosjean in the last sector.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

techF1LES

Monaco | Nice detail of electronics' cooling duct inside main sidepod inlet

Source: motorsportgp.pl

...and shot from today's practice showing similar bulkhead cover as was present on W03

Source: motorsportgp.pl