Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ema00
ema00

Re: Ferrari F2012

Is the part in carbon fiber at the centre a part of the car or it's a part of the external structure? (in the second photo)

eslam1986
eslam1986

ema00 wrote:Is the part in carbon fiber at the centre a part of the car or it's a part of the external structure? (in the second photo)
carbon fiber

Teechnical

I think the reason for Ferrari being 0.6+ seconds off the pace was lack of fresh tyres, or not finding the sweet spot on those supersofts.
Were Ferrari out of fresh super softs?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Hail22

Teechnical wrote:I think the reason for Ferrari being 0.6+ seconds off the pace was lack of fresh tyres, or not finding the sweet spot on those supersofts.
Massa - No

Alonso - Yes
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Hail22 wrote:
Teechnical wrote:I think the reason for Ferrari being 0.6+ seconds off the pace was lack of fresh tyres, or not finding the sweet spot on those supersofts.
Massa - No

Alonso - Yes
Fernando wasn't out of new tyres in Q3. Neither driver was.

The F2012 is still lacking low speed traction. The F2012 is amongst the fastest in the first 2 sectors & falls behind in the 3rd. The car still needs more DF.

westech
westech

Both cars had no fresh tyres thats why massa and alonso were far back in q3

rjsa
rjsa

ema00 wrote:Is the part in carbon fiber at the centre a part of the car or it's a part of the external structure? (in the second photo)
Seems not to me, some kind of housing.

ema00
ema00

westech wrote:Both cars had no fresh tyres thats why massa and alonso were far back in q3
they had one, two used in Q2 and one for the Q3

Teechnical

So, third for Alonso and top of the WDC. :D
i think this will sorta inspire the team to develop more parts for Canada and improve their pace.

We're looking at a new exhaust solution in Montreal right? Plus some other parts.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Kiril Varbanov

Teechnical wrote:So, third for Alonso and top of the WDC. :D
i think this will sorta inspire the team to develop more parts for Canada and improve their pace.

We're looking at a new exhaust solution in Montreal right? Plus some other parts.
Are we? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not being sarcastic, but where that info came from?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Kiril Varbanov wrote: Are we? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not being sarcastic, but where that info came from?
Pat Fry said in the latest Scuderia Ferrari Racing News that there were FW & RW updates for Canada and also that Ferrari were working on new exhaust solutions and would test them. He didn't say in Canada, but you'd think probably Canada or Valencia.

The updates to the F2012 have made it much more competitive. It's one of the cars that are fairly easy on the tyres, maybe down to Hamashima. And the pull rod front suspension worked like a charm in Monaco. Sorry X. :p

Also interesting to note Felipe is using the new Red Bull style turning vanes(under nose) while Fernando continues to use the old ones.

Hail22

Pull rod has proven its reliability, sorry that debate has run its course :P

On Canada, revised SP, Updates to RD, new FW, New RW and possibly depending on the outcome of Mondays TWD...a new floor hole in front of the rear wheel?

If RBR gets away with it...its only fair everyone else can copy it to their vehicles.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

sknguy
sknguy

rjsa wrote:
Seems not to me, some kind of housing.
Just some protection when swapping front wings I'd guess?

Just an aside, in terms of the front suspension "issue" being put to rest? The pull rod suspension was never an issue to begin with.

bhall
bhall

I've been trying to figure out that structure, too. My first thought was that it could be a Daffy Duct adapter, a la Mercedes. But, it doesn't appear to have the type of openings necessary, and the nose is absent any inlets at all.

I don't know why the team would all of the sudden decide that the car requires any sort of added protection in that area in the event of a nose change. They've been fine without one for decades.

My best bet is that a Daffy Duct is coming, it's just not quite there yet. Because the F2012 was not designed with a Daffy Duct in mind, there were obviously no concessions made in the nose for the appropriate packaging. But, if you can take components that were previously affixed to the bulkhead itself and transfer them to a support structure away from the bulkhead - like the piece in question - you should be able to open up some space to work with.

Kiril Varbanov

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote: Are we? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not being sarcastic, but where that info came from?
Pat Fry said in the latest Scuderia Ferrari Racing News that there were FW & RW updates for Canada and also that Ferrari were working on new exhaust solutions and would test them. He didn't say in Canada, but you'd think probably Canada or Valencia.

The updates to the F2012 have made it much more competitive. It's one of the cars that are fairly easy on the tyres, maybe down to Hamashima. And the pull rod front suspension worked like a charm in Monaco. Sorry X. :p

Also interesting to note Felipe is using the new Red Bull style turning vanes(under nose) while Fernando continues to use the old ones.
I see. I would be rather surprised to see new exhaust in Canada, given the development pace shown so far - their program is busy.
Yes, it's very important that the latest updates are working for both Massa and Alonso. Pull rod? I'm glad that it finally went away.