Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
nhojekim
nhojekim

Re: Ferrari F2012

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker here. I just want to say that Scarbs was spot on, that with the mugello exhaust Ferrari can go the direction of McLaren.

Teechnical

bhallg2k wrote:Looks like maybe more has changed than just the exhaust.

(Click to enlarge)

Crucial, can you serve us up a picture or two of the car from, I dunno, whenever the engine cover featured the enlarged central exit, but not the Red Bull-esque one?

Sorry for the extra text but this was the only image on the page.

Is that a horizontal V shape on the sidepod right before the exhaust or an illusion?
EDIT: If it is a V, it would help better divert the air straight to the exhaust, I think.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Kiril Varbanov

nhojekim wrote:Hello everyone. Longtime lurker here. I just want to say that Scarbs was spot on, that with the mugello exhaust Ferrari can go the direction of McLaren.
Indeed, Crucial_Xtreme and I were suggesting the same, but got lots of disagree, anyway, the weather might be the important bit that won't allow Massa to properly test the new exhaust.

At first sight, it looks a bit more bulgy than Mclaren's solution (which is normal, it's related to the sidepod surface), the direction seems more outward (although this could be just eye deception), and the end of the pipe is bit shorter.
Let's see what will bring.

amouzouris

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
nhojekim wrote:Hello everyone. Longtime lurker here. I just want to say that Scarbs was spot on, that with the mugello exhaust Ferrari can go the direction of McLaren.
Indeed, Crucial_Xtreme and I were suggesting the same, but got lots of disagree, anyway, the weather might be the important bit that won't allow Massa to properly test the new exhaust.

At first sight, it looks a bit more bulgy than Mclaren's solution (which is normal, it's related to the sidepod surface), the direction seems more outward (although this could be just eye deception), and the end of the pipe is bit shorter.
Let's see what will bring.
you were not alone...this is EXACTLY what i thought they would do (but it thought it would have been done at mugello)

to refresh your memory:
amouzouris wrote:I made some sketches of my thoughts about a possible upgrade that ferrari could test for mugello...its a slightly modified version of the acer ducts...
I hope u get what i'm trying to show...it would be a kind of hybrid between the acer ducts and mclaren's bulges...

bhall
bhall

I hope it works. I still think they should be focusing elsewhere.

Hail22

This photo was posted by flagworld a day ago...is it me or did Ferrari bring an F10 to compare exhaust solutions? or is it just a show/parade car for fans?

Also weren't the shark fins banned after 2010?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

There's an exclusion box behind the airbox and ahead of the rear wing endplates that effectively bans sharkfins which connect to the rear wing, yes. But partian sharkfins (like the razor type fin the Ferrari this year has, or the squared-off fin the HRT has, aren't banned
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Huntresa
Huntresa

Hail22 wrote:This photo was posted by flagworld a day ago...is it me or did Ferrari bring an F10 to compare exhaust solutions? or is it just a show/parade car for fans?

Also weren't the shark fins banned after 2010?
Yeah banned so you cant connect to the RW, but this is F10 so it has it :D

Teechnical

If the new exhaust solution works well, will Ferrari finalły be a poor contender?

italian
italian

Teechnical wrote:If the new exhaust solution works well, will Ferrari finalły be a poor contender?
In my opinion in this way they could obtain more DF and an higher top speed but I still thinks that the exhaust isn't the unique part that needs improvements. This is my thought, maybe it's wrong. :)

Edit: maybe the new exhaust solution looks more similar to the Force India configuration:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Teechnical

Maybe, maybe not, there's nothing connecting the exhaust to the outer sidepod.

Better image of the F2012.

marcush.
marcush.

obviously Ferrari have decided there is something to learn from this exercise and they don´t trust their CFD and Tunnel work in this area.
The findings should or could net some correlation enlightment , if they happen to have some measuring device of value to quntify the effects apart from a stopwatch...
Last edited by marcush. on 08 Jun 2012, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Kiril Varbanov

marcush. wrote:oibviously Ferrari have decided there is something to learn from this exercise and they don´t trust their CFD and Tunnel work in this area.
The findings should or could net some correlation enlightment , if they happen to have some measuring device of value to quntify the effects apart from a stopwatch...
@amouzouris - thanks for the reminder. To me, that was a natural evolution, as other solutions weren't deemed that effective, apparently.

@marcush - you can never trust CFD fully, nor tunnel data, as I mentioned, track experience is invaluable.
In general, I was thinking that Ferrrari will go for some aero rakes on the rear when running this exhaust, but I haven't seen device positioned there so far from them, apart from flow-viz and static pitot tube on the top.
Rain is expected for FP1 today.

.poz
.poz

marcush. wrote:oibviously Ferrari have decided there is something to learn from this exercise and they don´t trust their CFD and Tunnel work in this area.
I think that exhaust plume is very difficult to model in CFD or to simulate in a wind tunnel. Even RB that is supposed to have a very good CFD/wind tunnel is experimenting different exhaust configurations on the track.

alogoc
alogoc

https://p.twimg.com/Au0Oks2CEAAJ1g9.jpg

the more i look at this picture the more i wonder!

why the hell dont they use black screws?!!!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!