Alternative to Canopies/Windscreens/Front Roll Hoops

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
wrcsti
wrcsti

Re: Alternative to Canopies/Windscreens/Front Roll Hoops

MIKEY_! wrote:We are not talking about a big explosive here, the explosive would probably be no larger than .22 rifle cartridge, just enough to puncture the tire, we only need a tiny hole to deflate the tire. Imbedded in the magnesium rim and aimed into the base of the sidewall so that any debris would project towards the tub it couldn't harm anyone unless they had their hand over the exit area.
Wouldnt it be easier to just de-bead the tire instead of turning it into a spining gun?

MIKEY_!

Yes that's probably a better option

wrcsti
wrcsti

MIKEY_! wrote:Yes that's probably a better option
Still, now we have a possibly sharp magnesium rim flying through the air.

natehall
natehall

A couple of ideas... May not be the most technical

How about tethering one front wheel to the one on the opposite side through the chassis. with a set amount spare...

This would give the advantage that they are tethered to the car safely.

Also with regards to the shaped charge - isnt there a whole for the valvegear already? can we not just have this open when a signal is not detected from the car (IE it is over 1 metre from the chassis) - Mechanics could have the transmitters embedded into there race suits.

radosav
radosav

how much influence will De Villota crash have on this subject?
would front roll hoop help her?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

None, as this was a freak accident by a rookie drive that probably shouldn't even be driving an F1 car.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

MadMatt
MadMatt

mx_tifoso wrote:None, as this was a freak accident by a rookie drive that probably shouldn't even be driving an F1 car.
I wouldn't blame the driver too much there. I agree that she doesn't deserve a seat in F1, but the poor testing conditions made this accident possible. On a proper track that would never have happened. At the moment I don't know what is the real cause of the accident, but mistakes can happen to anybody, especially at F1 speed. For example I remember one time when I was trying a 2 strokes 6 speeds go-kart on a race track I didn't know,I arrived at the first airpin on the second lap way way too fast and could have ended out of the track to what was standing right there, but fortunately I managed to take the corner.

I am wondering if there was a truck standing there if that would have ended this way. Again, I agree she's not good enough for F1, but that's not a place or conditions to test a F1 car ! And I am still unsure if a canopy may have saved her eyes. If these can stand a tire launched at speed against it, probably it could "lift" that truck plate she hit over the canopy !

Very unfortunate accident nevertheless. :(

N12ck

radosav wrote:how much influence will De Villota crash have on this subject?
I believe the front roll hoop could have saved her,
Budding F1 Engineer

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Of course, the most obvious way to protect the drivers from injury is...to remove the drivers from the car. Remote control would certainly be feasible.

And no, I'm not being serious, I'm just pointing out that the only way to keep the drivers safe is to keep them out of the cars. And the idea is no less stupid than some others that are being postulated...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

element
element

N12ck wrote:
radosav wrote:how much influence will De Villota crash have on this subject?
I believe the front roll hoop could have saved her,
I also think it could have helped lifting the taillift of the truck up.
Also people overreacting to security measures is pretty funny,there are many ways to improve security without loosing the spirit of F1, this has been demonstrated time after time.
Yet others insist in blame the driver experience, when no explanation has been released. Why if simply she did not see the tail lift of the truck while driving around the truck? we simply don't know.
The accident was a combination of factors that lead to a serious result, so many lessons can be learned from this that can improve security, and not necessarily will turn F1 cars into remote control padded tanks.

FW17

Is there any way of deflating (automatically) a tyre once it is detaches from the car?

Guisson

Re: Marussia driver injured in testing

After seeing Massa's Accident ine Hungaroring in 2009 , the death of a pilot hitten by a wheel the same year if I still have a good memory and Now Maria's Accident .I am waiting for the FIA to act : Why not a closed cockpit ? juste like the LMP1 cars ? This will Surely protect the pilot ..Because of the whole body it is the head that is the most vulnerable :?
Get well soon Maria , My thoughts are with you and your family :(
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Marussia driver injured in testing

Hey I been to Hammamet. I like Tunisia

MIKEY_!

A front roll hoop or semi enclosed canopy would have protected her. However parking a truck where they did was asking for trouble. Imagine Bernie parking trucks on the run-off areas, it was that level of stupidity/oversight.

@WilliamsF1 we have been though that.

munks
munks

Where are you guys getting all this info about the crash (so much so that some of you seem to have enough telemetry data to blame the driver)? Everything I've read has nothing useful except there was a truck perhaps where it shouldn't have been. To me, that's barely relevant: it doesn't explain the main cause which is why the car accelerated. If she hadn't hit a truck she could have hit a crew member or a fuel rig or something else dangerous. If you've got more info, please share.