COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Xtian999
Xtian999

Re: Canadian GP 2012 - Gilles Villeneuve

I just bought my 3 day pass to Circuit of the Americas F1. See y'all there!

mclaren777

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Response from COTA...
Luke,

Support races are to be announced at a later date and must be approved by FOM.

Thank you for your interest.

Leonie Weerakoon
Circuit of The Americas Acquisition team

Pup
Pup

Charlie reports...
“It is clear that the significant resources Circuit of The Americas has committed to completing this facility on time and to FIA specifications is making a difference,” Whiting said, according to a statement from the circuit. “The more than 500 construction workers on site daily are making great progress, and I plan to return to Austin at the end of August for an update.”

Whiting said a formal pre-race inspection is set for Sept. 25, 60 days before the start of U.S. Grand Prix, which is scheduled for Nov. 16 through 18.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

New construction photos shot by Vance this afternoon. Paving now extends around T11 toward the tunnel:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Samples:

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

MotoGP promoter Kevin Schwantz waits to hear from COTA officials:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula ... AAOABAr77f
Promoter in holding pattern in attempt to bring MotoGP race to F1 track

By John Maher
Updated: 7:38 p.m. Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Published: 7:27 p.m. Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Motorcyling legend Kevin Schwantz said he would still like to have a MotoGP race run at Circuit of the Americas, and that negotiations no longer would have to go through promoter Tavo Hellmund.

But Schwantz also said he's still waiting to hear from officials with the circuit, which is still under construction and slated to host its inaugural Formula One grand prix in November.

In response to a query, Schwantz emailed the American-Statesman: "Several weeks ago, Tavo was nice enough to step aside and asked COTA to talk directly with me about a MotoGP contract for them. To date, COTA has not had any meaningful discussions with me regarding MotoGP at COTA.

"Your question is probably better addressed to COTA. I, of course, hope that there is MotoGP in Austin and have offered COTA multiple options in how to achieve that."

Schwantz did not say what those options were.

On Tuesday, circuit officials said there's no update on the MotoGP situation at this time.

Schwantz, the 1993 world champion, and his company 3FourTexas have the rights for MotoGP in Texas. Hellmund, a longtime friend of Schwantz, and Hellmund's company, Full Throttle Productions, had a deal to be the promoter. It was assumed Hellmund's rights would then be assigned to the Circuit of the Americas at some point.

The 10-year deal beginning in 2013 was announced at a splashy news conference last April at the Long Center. Landing both Formula One and MotoGP — motorcycling's equivalent of F1 — was considered quite a coup for the circuit. But a serious rift between Hellmund and other circuit investors and officials developed, and the promotional rights never changed hands.

Much the same thing happened with the rights to F1's U.S. Grand Prix, but Hellmund's deal was declared void late last year by Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone, who then cut a new deal with the circuit.

This February, Schwantz sent a blunt letter to circuit president Steve Sexton saying, "I urge you one final time to contact Mr. Hellmund about obtaining the rights to host a MotoGP race in Texas, after which I would be glad to open discussions with you as the new promoter. If you have not obtained such rights from Full Throttle, then unfortunately Circuit of the Americas will not be included as a round of the FIM Grand Prix Road Racing World Championship."

This year, MotoGP has 18 races in 13 countries. It is quite popular in Europe and has two races in the United States, at Indianapolis and Laguna Seca in California. At both U.S. locations, the three-day weekend can draw 130,000-140,000 fans, including 60,000 or more for the Sunday race.

Laguna Seca's CEO/general manager Gill Campbell has estimated the MotoGP race creates about $100 million in revenues for that area, about one-half of the economic impact of that track for an entire year.

While American drivers have been a non-factor in Formula One for the past two decades, Americans have been successful at MotoGP.

Last year two Texans, Ben Spies and Colin Edwards, finished in the top 10. Spies was at the MotoGP news conference last year when circuit investor Red McCombs proclaimed, "This is a big deal."

A MotoGP logo still adorns a door at the circuit's downtown offices, but there has been no mention of it for months in the track literature or in its seat licensing plans.

Mr Alcatraz

I have my hotel and my plane ticket, I think the airfare was a little higher than it should be $327 round trip San Diego to Austin, but I'm guessing it will be higher as it gets closer to November. I have to wait since my package is coming from CoTA through a foundation fund raiser.
Let me ask you this Hairy. I took the room in San Marcos, as you said it is on the right side of Austin to avoid traffic. I know the drill, so I will not be at all surprised when the "High Speed Wifi" that is included is as slow as a dial-up and you have to upgrade to get a real high speed signal. :roll: How do I find out where to go to catch the shuttles? I’m about 30miles from the track.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

FW17

Kevin Schwantz is shooting off his mouth again. High time COTA goes directly to MotoGP for a new contract.

I hate middle men.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mr Alcatraz wrote:I have my hotel and my plane ticket, I think the airfare was a little higher than it should be $327 round trip San Diego to Austin, but I'm guessing it will be higher as it gets closer to November. I have to wait since my package is coming from CoTA through a foundation fund raiser.
Let me ask you this Hairy. I took the room in San Marcos, as you said it is on the right side of Austin to avoid traffic. I know the drill, so I will not be at all surprised when the "High Speed Wifi" that is included is as slow as a dial-up and you have to upgrade to get a real high speed signal. :roll: How do I find out where to go to catch the shuttles? I’m about 30miles from the track.
If they add other shuttle locations I'll do my best to let you know. You can also watch the COTA site, but they tend to update after we already hear things in the news.

Right now, your closest option for shuttle parking is in downtown Austin, which is also about 30 miles from San Marcos. Should they add a Hays County lot, then you'll be much better off with that.

Mr Alcatraz

Thanks for the help. I realize we are still a long way out.

godlameroso

It's amazing that we get an F1 quality track with a great layout, in basically our back yard, and somehow people don't think it's awesome or even remotely a good idea?!
Saishū kōnā

Mr Alcatraz

godlameroso wrote:It's amazing that we get an F1 quality track with a great layout, in basically our back yard, and somehow people don't think it's awesome or even remotely a good idea?!
I have a very simple answer for that: J-e-a-l-o-u-s-y. Look at where the complaints are coming from. I would estimate that 90 percent of the negative comments come from, the UK and other Northern Europeans. They like to make broad sweeping generalizations about everything that is wrong with the USA (which is plenty) but I never knock them for being from wherever they are from, I look for the good. I will say that many negative comments about the facility are probably founded in truth. However most of the negativity is simply premature thinly veiled jealousy. Abraham Lincoln said something when he was 28 before he held any public office, after the burning of a black man in St. Louis by a mob. I find one excerpt very profound for Americans or anyone else that has an opinion about us:
Honest Abe wrote:At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it?-- Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never!--All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years.

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.
Snap!

bhall
bhall

Someone's obviously never seen Red Dawn. It could happen, man.

xpensive
xpensive

"It is clear that the significant resources Circuit of The Americas has committed to completing this facility on time and to FIA specifications is making a difference,”

I find this statement from Charlie Whiting noteworthy in two ways. First of all that he feels urged to point out that Cota does indeed have the resources it takes to complete the track and secondly because it's sooo reminiscent of another FIA-inspector's verdict after visiting Charlotte in December 2009?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

Q: When Formula One goes back the United States, does it have to adapt? The American fans are used to a closer interaction with their heroes…
MA: My advice: don’t change a thing! (laughs)
=D>

Mr Alcatraz

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Q: When Formula One goes back the United States, does it have to adapt? The American fans are used to a closer interaction with their heroes…
MA: My advice: don’t change a thing! (laughs)
=D>
Brilliant! All Americans that follow sports are exactly the same. :lol: