COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Mr Alcatraz wrote:Look at where the complaints are coming from.
Elroy, TX, almost exclusively.

Apart from x's usual, of course, I haven't seen a trace of anti-americanism in this thread.

Mr Alcatraz

Pup wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:Look at where the complaints are coming from.
Elroy, TX, almost exclusively.
I have not read one complaint from poster in Elroy or the greater Austin area on this forum in regard to the quality of the facility, or its viability. As for the politics I would say that every F1 Circuit on the calendar has local citizens (where free speech is allowed) that are not motorsports enthusiast’s, who gain nothing from having a race in their vicinity, that are adamantly against it. I suggest you be careful not to lose the plot.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pup
Pup

Mr Alcatraz wrote:I have not read one complaint from poster in Elroy or the greater Austin area on this forum in regard to the quality of the facility, or its viability. .
OK, we agreed to keep the politics and the fighting out of this thread, so I'll only suggest that you've probably missed some posts here or there and then leave it at that. That, or you may be mistaken on where some of our fellow posters are from.

And just because someone from another country criticizes the track doesn't mean that they do so from an anti-american view. I think there are/were genuine questions about the viability of a race in Austin - I've never agreed with them, but nonetheless the arguments are perfectly valid.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

xpensive wrote:"It is clear that the significant resources Circuit of The Americas has committed to completing this facility on time and to FIA specifications is making a difference,”

I find this statement from Charlie Whiting noteworthy in two ways. First of all that he feels urged to point out that Cota does indeed have the resources it takes to complete the track and secondly because it's sooo reminiscent of another FIA-inspector's verdict after visiting Charlotte in December 2009?
Who was the Charlotte inspector & what did he say? Been a while.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:I have not read one complaint from poster in Elroy or the greater Austin area on this forum in regard to the quality of the facility, or its viability. .
That, or you may be mistaken on where some of our fellow posters are from.
OK...Show of hands:

Who here is from Elroy or even Southeast Travis County?
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 14 Jun 2012, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

Do I need to raise your hand for you, HS? :lol:

Nick Craw was the USF1 inspector. But in his defense, he was under the impression that he was inspecting a prospective toaster supplier for the FOM commissary.

Mr Alcatraz

OK let me clarify how this line of reasoning got started and then I will gladly acquiesce if I mis understood the following quote. BTW I did state that much of the criticism is valid. Now I was responding to this:
by godlameroso » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:34 am

It's amazing that we get an F1 quality track with a great layout, in basically our back yard, and somehow people don't think it's awesome or even remotely a good idea?!
Now If God' was not referring to members of this Forum than I am completely wrong and will happily admit it!

Because no sooner had I posted it someone put up a quote, who it was from I don't know, but it appears to back up my assertion. It may not be anti-American but it is snide and uninformed:
Q: When Formula One goes back the United States, does it have to adapt? The American fans are used to a closer interaction with their heroes
Now let me throw this out there. Let us say that a popular athlete that is acomplished in an American sport.Just for yuks and giggles let’s say Alberto Pujols. If he is a fan of F1 and he likes, just for yuks and giggles, Pastor Maldonado. Does that make Pastor his hero?

Pup
Pup

I'd assumed that godlameroso's post was referring to the vitriol on some of the other F1 boards, since I haven't seen much of that here for some time (thankfully). I could be wrong, but I didn't see anything here that he could have been referring to directly. Maybe he'll let us know?

Yeah, I thought the 'hero' comment was funny, too.

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote:Do I need to raise your hand for you, HS? :lol:

Nick Craw was the USF1 inspector. But in his defense, he was under the impression that he was inspecting a prospective toaster supplier for the FOM commissary.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... 2010-grid/

"...they're going to be there and they're going to make us proud,.." Priceless!

There's more of the same if you wish to re-live those hilarious times, just google nick craw usf1 and have fun!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Mr Alcatraz

Pup wrote:I'd assumed that godlameroso's post was referring to the vitriol on some of the other F1 boards, since I haven't seen much of that here for some time (thankfully). I could be wrong, but I didn't see anything here that he could have been referring to directly. Maybe he'll let us know?

Yeah, I thought the 'hero' comment was funny, too.
I did, maybe not lately but they were many and as I stated earlier premature. I remember one comment about a retaining wall that someone got his panties in a bunch about.
Their were quite a few!
Maybe that wall will look like --- and the only thing that people that attend take away from the race is:
"Jesus H Christ did you see that hideous Southwestern Motif wall? This facility is a bucket of bolts and scrap Iron with gunite splattered all over it :? :lol:

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:Do I need to raise your hand for you, HS? :lol:
Why would I raise my hand?

I live 35 minutes from Elroy. I'm in SW Austin, not SE Travis County...
the vitriol on some of the other F1 boards, since I haven't seen much of that here for some time (thankfully)
Good one...LOL.
BTW, which boards are so vitriolic?

Pup
Pup

Mr Alcatraz wrote:I remember one comment about a retaining wall that someone got his panties in a bunch about.
:lol: OK, that was me - I mainly meant it as a joke about how nitpicky everyone was being (though it wasn't the best work I do have to say). I guess I was too adamant in my argument so the joke got lost. For the record, I don't think that stonework will have any appreciable affect on the quality of racing. :lol:

And HS, I'm not getting into it with you. First, things have progressed for CotA so much of late that your comments are more amusing to me than anything else these days, and secondly, I really am trying to respect the intent of F1tech and not take the discussion too far off track.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Please keep it track related, as in construction, construction news, promotion, etc. Just as was established between us a few months back.

All posts not directly related to the track or deemed relevant will not remain in this thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

xpensive
xpensive

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

Got their Expo thing goin this weekend..
A taste of Formula 1 is heading to Austin this weekend.

The convention center downtown has been filled with race cars from decades ago to new models for this weekend's public expo. These historic cars race for one year before being retired. Some are driven in the Grand Prix.

The expo will also include simulators and hands-on activities for racing fans. It gives the crowd a glimpse of what's to come in November, when these cars race for the first time at the new track in Elroy.

F1 driver Bud Moeller brought his Ferrari to put on display. (who?

"I think Formula 1 is something that is a little bit foreign to the average American and I think giving the chance to have the public be exposed to the technology, get an idea of seeing how cool these cars are and the fantastic history behind them, like with the historic Grand Prix, ought to get people a little more excited than just reading about it in the newspaper," Moeller said.

The expo is open to the public Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Austin Convention Center.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss